Is it possible to have lights flash instead of horn beep on remote lock | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is it possible to have lights flash instead of horn beep on remote lock

bcolins

Reaction score
City, State
Cedar Park (Austin) Tejas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLS 4.0 4x4
Wondering if I can program my 2002 XLS explorer to flash the lights instead of beeping the horn when I double click the lock button. I have trouble hearing the locks locking,...and I would prefer not to beep the horn when I am clicking the lock button a second time to confirm that the truck is locked.

Ive looked in the manual, and searched here. I dont see anything about this being possible. Anyone know if it is?

Brian in Austin

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can hear the doors lock on the 1st press of the lock button. The 2nd press makes the horn beep once so you know the doors are all closed. If it beeps twice, there is a door ajar. So no need to just see a flash when the beep is letting you know the doors are shut or not.

You can hear the doors lock on the 1st press of the lock button. QUOTE]

No, "bcolins" can't hear, see his quote right here>>>( I have trouble hearing the locks locking,...<<<<

Wondering if I can program my 2002 XLS explorer to flash the lights instead of beeping the horn when I double click the lock button. I have trouble hearing the locks locking,...and I would prefer not to beep the horn when I am clicking the lock button a second time to confirm that the truck is locked.

Ive looked in the manual, and searched here. I dont see anything about this being possible. Anyone know if it is?

Brian in Austin

In the last year and a half since I joined this forum, I haven't seen anyone else mention that they switched the horn alarm over to flashing headlights. Not sure or not if it can be done.

You can hear the doors lock on the 1st press of the lock button. The 2nd press makes the horn beep once so you know the doors are all closed. If it beeps twice, there is a door ajar. So no need to just see a flash when the beep is letting you know the doors are shut or not.

Guessing you just skimmed my post / didn't read it.

If I am more than a few feet away from the truck,....I can't hear it lock,.....(years of standing in front of a 5 foot tall guitar stack damaged my hearing),......and the horn beep is annoying (to everyone) if I press a second time. Just want a light flash if possible.

On my 03 - XLT, when I lock the doors with the factory remote my parking lights flash once when locking doors. Parking lights are the front turn signals and and rear tail lights. Can't image the wiring being different between XLS vs XLT trim levels. Is your power lock system factory installed or aftermarket? If I recall correctly, Ford had offered Ford labelled aftermarket power lock and alarm systems for many vehicles that did not come equipped with the power lock setup from the factory. I believed they offered it up as System 1, 2 or 3. If you press lock once and doors lock and you do not see the parking lights flash, it would be my guess is that yours may be a System 1 or 2 setup that was dealer installed. Maybe Waskly can chime in on this.

The lights flashing on the first push of the button is confirming the doors are locked. The horn chirp is to confirm the confirmation.

I agree, the horn beep is annoying. Other Fords I have only chirps the horn so less annoying.

Have you tried pushing it a third time? Me neither. I'm afraid the transmission will fail if I do.

My lights don't come on when I press the button, only the ones under my mirrors. but my truck is strange:
Press button once: Door locks
Press Twice: Beeps once
If door is open: Beeps Twice
if hatch is open: Beeps three times.

Id like the lights to flash when I unlock or lock the truck, so that I can find it easier in parking lots LOL

Unfortunately I do not have a solution for you, but I wanted to post because horn beeps after locking are my pet peeve.

I don't know if everyone is OCD or incredibly uninformed and thinks you need to hear it beep but at least 90% of the time I see someone exit their car they click the thing till it beeps. You just got out of the car, why didn't you lock it when you opened the door? Even if you use remote, why don't you click once and be done with it!

Obviously your situation is not what I am talking about since you are already far from the vehicle, presumably locking it for someone else who was in it and you don't trust to lock it themself.

Back