• Register Today It's free!

Questions about pulling an A4LD

Masterd

Reaction score
City, State
Upland, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer Sport
I need some quick advice about pulling an A4LD out of a parts truck. Once I get the driveshaft out of the way and disconnect the wiring, all I'll need to do is remove the trans mount and the bell housing bolts and it'll come free correct?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you will have to take the starter out and take off the torque converter nuts. then the exhaust down pipe that comes under the transmission will have to be removed also.

you will have to take the starter out and take off the torque converter nuts. then the exhaust down pipe that comes under the transmission will have to be removed also.

ididnt remove the exhaust but it was a real pain to get out cause i didnt want the exhaust bolts to break but if its a parts truck just break them

Theres nothing quick about removing an A4LD. Trust me. Ive done it three times, and then some, its labor intesive.

Theres nothing quick about removing an A4LD. Trust me. Ive done it three times, and then some, its labor intesive.

what if you know what your doing its not that hard,i can have mine out in a couple hours.it took me less than an hour to have mine in and running again:dunno:

You have to disconnect the cooler lines, vacuum line, linkages, cables, torque converter, driveshaft, electrical connections, bell housing bolts, starter, and transmission mount. 4WD has a transfer case in the rear to add to the list.

Thanks for the advice guys. We went over to pick a part, which luckily puts the vehicles on pretty high metal posts, and we found a tranny with super pink fluid (almost looked brand new), but there were some sparkles when we dropped the band and the magnet was covered in black clutch material, so we gave up. I literally had to run my fingers over the magnet a few times to be able to see it.

As it stands I still have a truck that moves an inch an hour if I rev it out to 4k rpms.

Back