Is the 2006 and newer diff the same as ours? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is the 2006 and newer diff the same as ours?

dablack

Reaction score
City, State
Houston
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
Yes, I searched. I hop on here every couple of months to see what is the latest and greatest about my beloved explorer. I'm getting pretty sick of the rear whine and would like to swap out the complete pumpkin with a 2006 and newer. Are they the same?

I bought my 2002 XLT in Nov of 2001. I've only replaced a couple of sensors and front and rear wheel bearings. I think it is a great truck and I want to keep it to at least 200k miles (I've got 130k right now).

thanks
Austin

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why would you only want an 06+ diff? If the new diff your purchase had the TSB completed then the year is irrelevant..

True, if the fix had been performed then it wouldn't matter. The problem is, when I find guys parting out explorers or sport tracs on craigslist, I have no idea if the fix has been performed.

Is there a way to tell? Is there some database somewhere?

Also, I'm assuming that ford fixed the problem in 06+ explorers. If the newer pumpkins bolt in, then I can start hunting one on car-parts.com

Austin

The only update on them is the axle seals. The part # is 7L1Z4A109C. I sell them rebuilt and updated. You could also have your own repaired and use the newer seals and that should be the last of your problems with it.

eric,

I'm sending you an email to your aol account.

thanks
Austin

Back