Is the Aerostar engine the same as the Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is the Aerostar engine the same as the Explorer?

corkey

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Elite Canuck,multiple ifs offender,, and musky maniac,, i wheel and i fish,,
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 xls,96 xl,91,08 Ranger
I am just wondering if there is anybody that knows if the motor in a 96 Aerostar is the same as in the EX, , ??

My Mother has the Aerostar and it is getting horrid fuel mileage,,
i think it is a cold as ice thing seeing as temperatures in her area are in the -20 to -30's, or colder,,

it also seems the oxygen sensor might not be good , but no CEL yet ,,
:ca:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does it have the 4.0? If so yeah the motor is the build of an ex. Not sure if the comp. wiring is different or not though.

Member "Brooklynbay" should have answers to this.

It does have the 4.0l engine, and almost all the drivetrain looks the same as it is a 4x4 auto, or does that make it an AWD ?

It has the same tranny, but the "electronic 4X4" is kinda like awd. Some call it awd.

cool, so i have a new source for a tranny if i need one,, EX tranny here 4500$,, Aerostar tranny 1500$

No I think the 96 Aerostar still had the A4LD Transmission.

The 96 has the 4.0L OHV engine with a 4R55E transmission. The transfer case is not the same as the Explorer. It's an E-4WD which is completely computer controlled by a separate module. I have a thread for Aerostar owners to introduce themself: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198677

I knew brooklynbay would come thru lol

so.....brooklynbay when u goin' to lift one of those aero's :)

So, BrooklynBay, while your here, can you answer me a question?

My parents had a 95 Aerostar with a 3.0 I think, auto trans. Mom drove that thing forever, we towed a car on a trailer ~300 miles once, never a bit of trans trouble. If that thing had an A4LD in it, how did it hold up so welll? We never serviced the transmission, drove it 120k+.

And we had a 93 with a 3.0 -
we drove that thing all over the country-nary a problem.
1 power steering hose
1 alternator
brakes and tires
1 set of spark plugs

that about sums up the 160,000 miles we put on her. It was the most reliable car we ever owned.

RIP "BIG SAL"

Back