Is there a market for Shackles?

soon2bsick

Reaction score
City, State
florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 mountaineer
Hey guys,

I just came upon an idea, that other people have had as well. I've seen atleast 100 threads asking about buying shackles from people so that explorer/mounty owners could have at true 2" lift and still have the strength and reliability of a warrior shackle.

I've seen the warrior shackles, I've seen the homemade shackles and I've also seen the prices. After I build and perfect my own shackles I'm thinking of building shackles and selling them, But I don't want to put a $70 - $80 price tag on them that I've seen between 4x4 sites and ebay. Why? because by the time you buy your $80 shackles and $90 - $140 alignment to run a TT/Shackle lift.. You could of just bought a 3" body lift.

But I want to ask you guys what you're really looking for in a shackle, what you like and dislike about the ones you've seen or own. I know warrior's are the hometown favorite, but I didn't buy the Warrior's because I want a 2" lift not a 1.5,

I wan't to build my shackles with a 1.5" - 2" option so that you can place them according to your front lift, I also want to be able to take in custom sizes so the customer has more options. I want to offer shackles with welded middle bars for support and also shackles with no middle bar for the flex guys but a hole in the middle incase down the road you decide to add a bolt in the middle. Or even if you just want to go the bolt option to save $

I'm going to look at the benefits of 1/2 versus 3/8's, and also.. just for fun... custom color shackles.

I'm not doing this so much for the money.. although money is always nice... I just think there should be more options for the guy who doesn't have the tools to build his own.. doesn't want to settle for autozone shackles... or doesn't want a 1.5" shackle.

I just wanted to throw this out there to you guys to see what you thought, and hear what YOU would like out of a shackle. If all goes to plan, I will make shackles for other models as well.

Any input is appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like a great idea. My problem with warriors is they do not give 2" of lift.

my problem with shackles are there priced to high for what they are.

The problem with making shackles with just the bolt in the middle that already exists just go down to your local oreilly's and their all of $20 thats what I'm running on mine.

My problem with shackles is they flatten your leaf springs-

I thought this had been measured and it was just a disillusion of the eye effect.:scratch:

I have a sport and I really want to put a lift on it, but don't feel like dropping a lot of money. I defiently would pay like $50 for shackles that give it a true 2" lift.

The problem with making shackles with just the bolt in the middle that already exists just go down to your local oreilly's and their all of $20 thats what I'm running on mine.

They wont have just a bolt in the middle, there will be an option of a welded bar OR an open set that can have an optional bolt in the middle. Some rock crawler dudes dont like a brace in the middle. And yeah I can go down to autozone right now and drop $17 bucks on a set of universal lift shackles, but theyre not 1/2 or even 3/8s. I also don't know how much lift they give, if it is a true 2'' or not.

If everyone wanted to buy autozone/oreilly shackles instead of a welded set then warrior would be out of business

shackles on sagged springs do make the springs flatter or even go to a w shape, mine did,

I think they would definitely be of interest on this site especially with the slow economy people want quality and low price and if you're offering that with a true 2" then I think you could definitely sell them to people one here but I wouldn't expect to sell a bunch immediately.

yea, I know every product has to get a reputation before people start taking interest but I think this is a good place to start.

yea, I know every product has to get a reputation before people start taking interest but I think this is a good place to start.

Yeah it most definitely is somewhere to start if you've got the materials and machines and skill required to build then go for it. I would buy a set if it meant having a true 2inch extra lift in the rear.

I would definitely be interested.

Back