Is there a way to manually close the moonroof (tilt) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is there a way to manually close the moonroof (tilt)

kdog

Reaction score
City, State
Kailua, HI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 LTD
The moonroof on my 2011 Explorer is now stuck open in the tilt position. Both the shade and window won't close, presumably from the water leaking into the truck and the overhead center console where the control buttons are. Is there a manual way to close the glass?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't believe it can be closed manually although I don't think anyone has actually tried it. Have you checked the moonroof fuse?

Peter

My sunroof motor just went the other day. There are actually 2 motors (go figure). One on each side right near where the sun visors rest. The passenger side motor operates the shade and driver side motor operates the glass which is more than likely toasted.

You can try what I did and yank down on the overhead console and dry it out and retry it.
Mine is still failing and so a new motor will be required (i may just do both).

Since you are in a pinch, I believe the motors are the same and you may be able to use the shade motor if it works - to power the glass and get it reseated. You could research this further to see if its feasible - just an idea. You would need to drop the headliner on both sides which is a job in itself.

Thanks everyone!

There is a hex in the center of the motor you can turn to move it manually.

I'll try the hex and definitely swapping motor connections if that doesn't work. I need to drop the headliner and find these leaks. It was raining just as much inside the truck as outside the other day. My son was laughing his butt off.

Sunroofs leak as part of their design...that's the reason for the big trough all around. The drains are probably plugged...

Pretty sure both motors can be accessed by pulling the visors, overhead console and A pillars down. The center of the headliner is held up by magnets. The last one I did (a 2015 explorer) had all types of corrosion inside the motor for the sunroof and had stopped working.

I'll try the hex and definitely swapping motor connections if that doesn't work. I need to drop the headliner and find these leaks. It was raining just as much inside the truck as outside the other day. My son was laughing his butt off.
Again, did you check the fuse??

I checked passenger compartment fuse 38 and engine compartment fuse 8. Both appear fine.

I pulled and swapped the motors. Still no response from the moonroof (left) side and the shade side only works intermittently.

There's no hex screw on the motors. Only a Phillips head on one end that didn't appear to do anything when I turned it.

Thoughts?

Maybe try the initialization procedure first. You will need to initialize the system anyway if the motor is replaced. These are "smart" motors and need to be taught after installation.

Maybe try the initialization procedure first. You will need to initialize the system anyway if the motor is replaced. These are "smart" motors and need to be taught after installation.

No response from the motors. :(

By looking at the motor picture, I am guessing the screw in circle is the manual drive of the gear. Maybe take the motor out and try it first? But you should be careful not to over close the system to cause more damage.

1641579835198.png

By looking at the motor picture, I am guessing the screw in circle is the manual drive of the gear. Maybe take the motor out and try it first? But you should be careful not to over close the system to cause more damage.

View attachment 425218
Yeah, as I mentioned earlier I did try that but it didn’t seem to have any effect on the glass. Maybe I’ll try again.

Thinking about it more it seems like the motor does nothing more than slide the cable back and forth so I’m wondering if I can carefully try to do the same with my fingers or if you need the torque of the motor to make it happen.

Yeah, as I mentioned earlier I did try that but it didn’t seem to have any effect on the glass. Maybe I’ll try again.

Thinking about it more it seems like the motor does nothing more than slide the cable back and forth so I’m wondering if I can carefully try to do the same with my fingers or if you need the torque of the motor to make it happen.
I stand corrected. There is a cable on either side.

The hex is on opposite side of the gear itself.

Also, besides not using the rear windshield washer, is there anything preventing me from driving with the headliner pulled out? I should be able to completely disconnect the visors and the rear view mirror and the curtain airbags should still function.

Also, besides not using the rear windshield washer, is there anything preventing me from driving with the headliner pulled out? I should be able to completely disconnect the visors and the rear view mirror and the curtain airbags should still function.
I think you should be able to drive without the headliner in place. Not sure why you wouldn't be able to use the rear windshield washer though.
I would think that the tubing along with some wiring should be held in place somehow.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think you should be able to drive without the headliner in place. Not sure why you wouldn't be able to use the rear windshield washer though.
I would think that the tubing along with some wiring should be held in place somehow.

Peter
I watched this video that pointed out some washer fluid connections that need disconnected.

Back