Is there a way to manually close the moonroof (tilt) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is there a way to manually close the moonroof (tilt)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is a good video in that it shows that the complete headliner doesn't have to come down but the rest won't help if the motor itself isn't working.

Peter

To close the loop on this thread - after multiple shipping delays I finally received and replaced both motors today. Problem solved.

The drains look clear so now I need to find the source of the water coming into the driver area when it rains. It's as if someone is in the headliner pouring water out of a bucket.

If the drains look good check the top windshield seal. Also could be the roof rails leaking although they usually dump water into the rear cargo area.

I have to tackle this job soon myself but I am waiting until its above 25 degrees outside 😂

While you had the headliner down that was the best time to air nozzel those drains out. You can also fish a peice of wire down the drain from the top if you don't have access to air compressor. Try dumping water down the drain with a cup with the roof open to make sure it drains.

While you had the headliner down that was the best time to air nozzel those drains out. You can also fish a peice of wire down the drain from the top if you don't have access to air compressor. Try dumping water down the drain with a cup with the roof open to make sure it drains.
Definitely. I checked the drain hoses and they didn't seem blocked or anything. Having the right tools there at the time would have helped a lot. haha

i am now having the exact same problem... stuck open in tilt. the initialization will not do anything. there is not a hex or manual screw to crank it closed. i did put manual power to the motor and it did try to move. but here is why my problem differs. as it would not move the sunroof, the motor was engaging. so i pulled the motor and put power to it. the motor moved fine and i tried to stop the gear and the great seemed to have great torque.
i do have a new motor in the mail.. but is it possible the glass is stuck by something?
with the motor out, should i be able to freely move the glass?? because i cannot.
what else would prevent from moving if not the motor and gear?
i would think it would move once out.
any thoughts?

Welcome to the Forum Jason. :wave:
I've never investigated my moonroof close enough to know what exactly does what. Maybe someone that has had similar issues will be able to help.

Peter

I just replaced the glass motor two days ago. It somehow got water in it. Mine was also tilted open about 10mm above the other glass but not letting any water in thankfully.

I'm not sure why it got stuck tilted either. I think mine crapped out when I was trying to return it back to its closed position. The shade motor would not retract fully either so it could detect it was still open.

well, thanks for next day shipping, i got my motor and all is good. still cant figure out the initialization sequence. i tried 2 different ones i found. none seem to work. it will still let me close and open by holding the buttons.. that is good enough for now.

Turn the ignition on then off, then on again. Press the tilt button once let it go then hold it down for 15 seconds. You have to do it quickly

did that.. i think the problem is i got an aftermarket and there is not any one touch or tilt on that unit.
it opens and closes by just holding the button, so i can live... saving money...

My moonroof isn't working. I tried so many things on it and still nothing. Please help. I saw someone else having the same issues as me the back shade closes but nothing else works. My sunroof is in tilt mode and I need it closed...

have you lubricated the rail? is the motor for shade and roof different? how are the connections? different fuses? can you try to give it a little bit ot help, mahbe theres some friction to overcome
in the time being, you could try using some tape to try to tape it shut if it doesnt budge

by the way, welcome to EF!!!

have you lubricated the rail? is the motor for shade and roof different? how are the connections? different fuses? can you try to give it a little bit ot help, mahbe theres some friction to overcome
in the time being, you could try using some tape to try to tape it shut if it doesnt budge

by the way, welcome to EF!!!
I have tried jumping the sunroof, Jumping the battery, shutting it manually, spraying everything. I'm about to put a bag around it again until I can figure it out... Oh and ty much

could be a fried motor or a bad connection. Where and how exactly did you try "jumping" the moon roof? It sounds like dropping the head liner is in your future.
It was leaking at first with poodles in my passenger side. The shade comes up half way and that's it. Dropping the head liner? I pulled out the monitor card to look at it and tried to shut it manually but still nothing. I'm changing the fuse tomorrow which I saw was fuse 8 in the engine department one.

It was leaking at first with poodles in my passenger side. The shade comes up half way and that's it. Dropping the head liner? I pulled out the monitor card to look at it and tried to shut it manually but still nothing. I'm changing the fuse tomorrow which I saw was fuse 8 in the engine department one.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Your thread was merged with this existing one on much the same issue. Check out post #21.
Got a bit of a chuckle when you mentioned "poodles in my passenger side". I'm sure you meant puddles. Water pooling in the footwells is usually a sign of a plugged moonroof drain tube.
I would think that in this case that the motor for the glass partition is no longer working. I'm not sure what you mean by "monitor card". It's the first time I've read that phrase. There are 2 motors, one for the glass and another for the shade. The reason the shade won't completely close is that the moonroof is open in the tilt position.
Please report back after you checked the fuse. Thanks.

Peter

Hello, guys:)
Been quite a while since I've been here.
Sick morther.

I must have left the sunroof open on tilt position last time I drove it.
I's not closing, none of the sunroof related buttons seem working, except rear moonroof.
It's gonna take days, even weeks, before I can bring the car to a mechanic or dealer.
And the forecast says it's gonna rain.
Can I forcefully close the tilted sunroof window down without damaging related parts?

Ciao

Here is a thread that had a similar issue:
The moonroof on my 2011 Explorer is now stuck open in the tilt position. Both the shade and window won't close, presumably from the water leaking into the truck and the overhead center console where the control buttons are. Is there a manual way to close the glass?
The replies generally said, no, there is no way, and there are two motors.

The final reply, despite nobody saying they had their issue truly solved, was this:

Your mileage may vary.. I am sorry I couldn't be more helpful. That being said, you could put a tarp over it while it rains. I mean of course, right. That is not ideal though.. I've been there before in a few cars I've had, it's really frustrating. Please definitely check the fuse and let us know if anything changes and any updates!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is a thread that had a similar issue:

The replies generally said, no, there is no way, and there are two motors.

The final reply, despite nobody saying they had their issue truly solved, was this:

Your mileage may vary.. I am sorry I couldn't be more helpful. That being said, you could put a tarp over it while it rains. I mean of course, right. That is not ideal though.. I've been there before in a few cars I've had, it's really frustrating. Please definitely check the fuse and let us know if anything changes and any updates!

Thanks a lot:)

Back