Moonroof Will Not Close | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Moonroof Will Not Close

Beneastman

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 explorer XLT
Moon roof stuck open - shade is too - 2013 Expl XLT

I have a 2013 explorer xlt. 42k odometer. Power moon roof / sunroof. I retracted the shade all the way back, retracted (slid back) the sunroof and drove for awhile. Later I closed the shade and it stopped at the halfway point, as is normal. Then tried to close (slide forward) the sunroof (glass) using the center switch but the glass would not shut. I also tried to close the shade the rest of the way, since the shade switch usually also closes the glass, then shade in a single step. The glass and the shade are stuck in the open retracted position. Strangely I can still operate the shade from the back position to the halfway point. I can move it back and forth but only to halfway point. Neither the center switch or the left switch will close he glass. So I'm stuck with an open roof. I also checked fuse #8 and it seems ok. Thats the fuse for the sunroof according to the owners manual)

One other detail. I unclogged the driver side skylight drain 4 days previously, as the drain channel was holding some water. I cleared it but not sure how long water sat in channel. It did get wet at the headliner near the switches. However the whole sunroof assembly worked fine for a few days after that.

Wait one more detail - probably totally unrelated. On same trip had big difficulty pairing phone with sync prior to sunroof problem. I unsuccessfully tried to re-pair, even did a master reset of MFS. That fixed the phone sync issue. Again probably totally unrelated but stranger things have happened.

( I have an appointment with Carmax - I have an extended warranty - they may send me to dealer - but thats another subject )

Any thoughts or advice, similar experience or solutions?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it did get wet, not all electronics fail immediately. Working in the cell phone industry for many years (repairing phones), corrosion takes time to build up and once built up, it can kill the electronics.

Not saying this is your problem, just saying that even though it worked for a few days after, doesn't mean it's not your problem now.

Have you tried pushing the glass back when you press the switch to open it? Is it possible it is just stuck on something. I'd be surprised if it was caused by water or moisture since the moonroof is an item that is bound to get wet and that includes the tracks. If manually trying to move it doesn't help, then a visit to a dealer is definitely in order.

Peter

Is there a manual override of the electrics? Don't know on these, but some other vehicles I have owned allowed you to put a screwdriver or a supplied square drive into a concealed hole and crank it shut.

Other than that, sounds like you have some junk in your track.

No over ride that I recall seeing in the Owner's Guide. Sounds like an electrical problem IMO.

Peter

I watched a few youtube videos and began looking for a manual overide but did not locate one. Im not sure if im up to the challenge of opening up the headliner to look. I was also wondering if there is some kind of contact switch at the midpoint that is failing. Im still curious why the shade switch still allows me to move it from back to midpoint. I dont see anything causing a jamb but its hard to see. I did try lightly nudging it but didnt really want to force it. Track and cords looks greased. But i do park under on oak tree and crud or an acorn very easily could have dropped in the track. But i cant see any. Im definitely getting a car cover soon.

You said you checked fuse 8 in the engine compartment fuse box and it looked good. There is also fuse 38 in the cabin fuse box that according to the Owner's Guide is for; Auto-dimming rearview mirror, Moonroof. Good luck getting at that one.;)

Peter

Thanks Peter. I didn't check the cabin fusebox. I couldn't find it. Im guessing its underneath the plastic. I just never know when those things come off easy or not. Ill definitely mention it to the shop tomorrow.

I bought a 2011 Explorer Limited Ford certified by Ford. I scoped out the All American Ford used cars from their internet site and found a real nice black on black. Went to the dealership loved the explorer, hammered out a deal and they financed me on the spot with Ford Credit and completed the deal and drove home with my new Explorer.

The only thing was that nobody showed me how to use anything. On the way home I kept trying to change the radio station on the radio rom th rap station it was tuned to to something I could enjoy, not good at 65mph. It took me three days to just to find the radio on off button. Well I am learning and now how to use the voice functions. OK

A several weeks ago the sun roof was stuck, checked the fuses no luck. Went to all American Ford of Paramus where I bought the car, service department is in Hackensack so I drove over there. Service department said it would be three hours before anyone could look at it or come back tomarrow at 8am and the will look at it. Was there at 8 and two hours later they came out and said the sunroof motor had died and would order a new one. Raul in the service department said I had only put a couple of humdred miles on the car scince I bought it and Ford was going to cover the repair at no cost to me because I was a good costomer and it is rare that motor goes bad and it was Ford Certified. GREAT.

Ford called me and I made an appointment to install the motor. Three hours after I arrived I was told the new motor was installed and all is working again but I had a $100 deductable and Raul said he would walk me over to the cashier. I asked what happened to Ford covering this, he said the warrenty I had has a $100 deductable , he told the cashier he (me) is here to pay his deductable. I knew I had a deductalbe but why the F... did they jerk me around like that...I live in NY and traveled to NJ to do business with them and well......

I just needed to vent

I'm guessing that you didn't buy the ESP but that it was part of the certified pre-owned deal. Some ESPs have 0 deductible but the one they gave you obviously doesn't. Perhaps the tech wasn't sure which one you had? Anyway, you now have an operational MOONROOF so enjoy it.:thumbsup:
BTW, welcome to the Forum Haverstrawman.:wavey:

Peter

I was never offered a ESP, Just a 2011 Limited Ford Certified with 19000 miles on it. I needed a car and wanted a Limited and they were the closes one that had one. Never again All American Ford of Paramus NJ

I was never offered a ESP, Just a 2011 Limited Ford Certified with 19000 miles on it. I needed a car and wanted a Limited and they were the closes one that had one. Never again All American Ford of Paramus NJ

Hi Haverstrawman,
Pm me if you'd like a good service team in queens. I highly recommend the guys that I got my ex from, they are pretty good. You said you are in NY so I am not sure where. Just trying to help out

Thanks....but there is a good Ford dealership near my home they just did not have the car I wanted on the lot when I purchased the Explorer. I am located in Haverstraw NY. Queens is futher from me than Paramus NJ.
But thank you.

...Ford called me and I made an appointment to install the motor. Three hours after I arrived I was told the new motor was installed and all is working again but I had a $100 deductable and Raul said he would walk me over to the cashier. I asked what happened to Ford covering this, he said the warrenty I had has a $100 deductable , he told the cashier he (me) is here to pay his deductable. I knew I had a deductalbe but why the F... did they jerk me around like that...I live in NY and traveled to NJ to do business with them and well...

Hi Haverstrawman,

I want to document your feedback for internal review. To get the ball rolling, PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll get this entered in our system for the appropriate parties to see.

Crystal

It sounds to me that the dealer included an extended warranty in with the paperwork for the sale of the car. Only an extended warranty would have a $100.00 deductible, not a Ford certified pre owned vehicle!

Depending on the original in service date, the used vehicle may also still be under the bumper to bumper warranty, since it is under the 36000 miles. If out of warranty, then the Certified Ford Warranty covers the components for 12 months or 12000 miles and the powertrain for a different length and time.

I would double check the paperwork you signed, and would not be surprised to see an extended warranty (maybe not even a Ford ESP) has been included. That is the only way I could see a $100.00 deductible having to be paid. The Certified warranty should have covered the cost 100%-if the vehicle really is a Ford Certified Vehicle!

It sounds to me that the dealer included an extended warranty in with the paperwork for the sale of the car. Only an extended warranty would have a $100.00 deductible, not a Ford certified pre owned vehicle!

Depending on the original in service date, the used vehicle may also still be under the bumper to bumper warranty, since it is under the 36000 miles. If out of warranty, then the Certified Ford Warranty covers the components for 12 months or 12000 miles and the powertrain for a different length and time.

I would double check the paperwork you signed, and would not be surprised to see an extended warranty (maybe not even a Ford ESP) has been included. That is the only way I could see a $100.00 deductible having to be paid. The Certified warranty should have covered the cost 100%-if the vehicle really is a Ford Certified Vehicle!

That is completely wrong.

First, it's not just 36,000 miles.. it is 3 years OR 36k.

Ford CPO: Deductible. Repairs completed under any remaining Ford New-Vehicle Limited Warranty coverage (if applicable) have a $0 standard deductible per repair visit. Repairs completed under Ford Certified Pre-Owned Comprehensive Limited Warranty and Powertrain Limited Warranty coverage have a $100 standard deductible per repair visit.

$100 deductible for both the 1yr/12k bumper to bumper and 7yr/100k powertrain.

That is completely wrong.

First, it's not just 36,000 miles.. it is 3 years OR 36k.

Ford CPO: Deductible. Repairs completed under any remaining Ford New-Vehicle Limited Warranty coverage (if applicable) have a $0 standard deductible per repair visit. Repairs completed under Ford Certified Pre-Owned Comprehensive Limited Warranty and Powertrain Limited Warranty coverage have a $100 standard deductible per repair visit.

$100 deductible for both the 1yr/12k bumper to bumper and 7yr/100k powertrain.

Before posting the information about the CPO not having a deductible, I had checked the Ford web site and there was nothing said about a $100.00 deductible.

http://www.ford.com/certified-used/comprehensive/

I would have thought the Ford site itself would have made it clear on that page that there is a deductible. Sorry if I missed it by not looking further into it and only relaying upon what Ford stated on their main page.

Depending on the original in service date, the used vehicle may also still be under the bumper to bumper warranty, since it is under the 36000 miles.

I understand the factory warranty is 36/36 and that is why I stated depending on the original service date. I guess I didn't go far enough and mention also the 36 month limit thinking that was a known fact.

Kind of like Ford not mentioning the $100.00 deductible on their home page for the CPO coverage.

I got out my paper work and my 2011 explorer was and is a Ford certiied vehicle. The 3 year 36000 original warrenty expired about a week before the sun roof motor failed. So a covered problem that is done by a dealer has a $100 deductable. OK But according to the carfax supplied to me by the dealer states the sunroof was fixed by the selling dealer after the Explorer was turned into the dealer. Does not state what part of the sunroof was fixed just it was fixed before the sale to me. The person in the service department thaought maybe the dealership would cover the repair because they had already fixed the problem, I don't know. Crystal asked me to PM her but that requires a twitter account or a facebook account and I do nto have one.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is a MOONROOF, I don't think they make sun roofs anymore. If the moonroof was previously repaired, there is usually a warranty on repairs and/or replacement parts. You don't require a separate account to PM Crystal. You can go any post by FordService and simply click on that name in the margin and from the drop down list select, Send a private message......
You can also use this link;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968
When you PM, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message.

Good luck.:thumbsup:

Peter

Back