Is there anyway to check if recalls have been completed long ago? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is there anyway to check if recalls have been completed long ago?

Queensboy

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Whitestone
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Sport and 2019 XLT
I'm sorry if this has been covered, but I have searched quite a bit and can't find an answer. I have a 1997 Explorer Sport. When I first got it about 6 years ago I ran the vin at the dealer while getting my wife's new Explorer. They only mentioned the steering wheel button wiring harness as an open recall. They didn't mention any completed recalls.
I had what I thought was the timing chain rattle and dreaded the fix. I didn't drive her much because of it. Turns out that my mechanic found the belt tensioner rattling around and replaced it. That must've been the noise I heard! Whew!!! But now I wonder if the recall for the timing chains was done bitd.
The truck had about 78k when I got her, now nearing 100k. It also appears that the truck was purchased off of lease? in 1/2001 by a woman in PA who then owned it until 12/2018 when she traded it in? at a Subaru dealer. I then bought it in 1/2019 from a dealer whom I assume was a wholesaler connected to the Subaru dealer.
So sorry for the ramble. Is there a way to determine what work if any was completed via recalls?
Thanks for any help you can give.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Big thing do you know what engine you have? If it's a sohc I would just bring to local shop and put manual tensioner in it. If it's a ohv you really don't need to worry. To add to the recall bit look at master cylinder if it's got a plug at the top another recall has been fixed.

Yes, SOHC 4.0. I believe all Sports came with one. First year.
Would a dealer in receipt of a trade in resell a vehicle with an open recall or would they address it? I believe I can take off the front engine cover to see if it has the updated cassettes (different color from my reading) but I'd rather not.

Cruise control had a recall. Replacement harness should have a blue label on it…

NHTSA? carfax? (i think CF has a free maintainence app thatll show it?)

I'm sorry if this has been covered, but I have searched quite a bit and can't find an answer. I have a 1997 Explorer Sport. When I first got it about 6 years ago I ran the vin at the dealer while getting my wife's new Explorer. They only mentioned the steering wheel button wiring harness as an open recall. They didn't mention any completed recalls.
I had what I thought was the timing chain rattle and dreaded the fix. I didn't drive her much because of it. Turns out that my mechanic found the belt tensioner rattling around and replaced it. That must've been the noise I heard! Whew!!! But now I wonder if the recall for the timing chains was done bitd.
The truck had about 78k when I got her, now nearing 100k. It also appears that the truck was purchased off of lease? in 1/2001 by a woman in PA who then owned it until 12/2018 when she traded it in? at a Subaru dealer. I then bought it in 1/2019 from a dealer whom I assume was a wholesaler connected to the Subaru dealer.
So sorry for the ramble. Is there a way to determine what work if any was completed via recalls?
Thanks for any help you can give.
Try this . will list all 12 recalls.
1997 FORD EXPLORER | NHTSA
A carfax should list all work done by the dealer but sometimes they don't.

Try this . will list all 12 recalls.
1997 FORD EXPLORER | NHTSA
A carfax should list all work done by the dealer but sometimes they don't.
Wow! That is alot of info! Couldn't find the timing stuff though. Do you know where that would be? TM0012 I think I have read here on the forum. Maybe it is not considered a safety issue?

Cruise control had a recall. Replacement harness should have a blue label on it…
Where is this harness? I think that is still an open recall on my truck.

Big thing do you know what engine you have? If it's a sohc I would just bring to local shop and put manual tensioner in it. If it's a ohv you really don't need to worry. To add to the recall bit look at master cylinder if it's got a plug at the top another recall has been fixed.
Screenshot_20240306_193502_Gallery.jpg
Is that the plug you are talking about clipped to the sensor/switch that is red? What was that recall about? Much more important to stop than it is to go!

Wow! That is alot of info! Couldn't find the timing stuff though. Do you know where that would be? TM0012 I think I have read here on the forum. Maybe it is not considered a safety issue?
Click on the link.

Recalls & Safety Issues.​

This is a record of safety issues for vehicles of this year, make, model and trim. If you are a vehicle owner, search for recalls by your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). The vehicle identification number tells you if your car is affected.
Learn about our recall process
Have a safety problem?
Report a problem with your vehicle, tires, car seats or other equipment. We review every problem as we work to keep our roads safe.
Report a safety problem

Find recalls by VIN.​

Every vehicle has a unique VIN. Enter a VIN to learn if a specific vehicle needs to be repaired as part of a recall.
SEARCH BY VIN
Recall information from this VIN lookup tool is provided by the manufacturer conducting the recall. NHTSA does not record VIN information or results provided through this

View attachment 450455Is that the plug you are talking about clipped to the sensor/switch that is red? What was that recall about? Much more important to stop than it is to go!
The recall for brake switch they added a fuse in the Circuit. What the pro pen was, if the BLS would leak, it would cause a fire. Just a Inline fuse.

Recalls are only issued for what is considered *critical* safety related issues. Your engine imploding because it jumps time from the chain coming off, is not considered unsafe by NHTSA.

Since there is no recall, any timing chain related work is done on your dime. Fortunately "most" people will hear the chain start to rattle on startup, many thousands of miles before it gets bad enough to jump time. I wouldn't avoid driving it due to this, what good is a vehicle that just sits around and you pay insurance on it too? Might as well get the life out of it before everything rusts or rubber rots, plastic gets brittle, paint degrades, etc.

It is in your favor that it only has 100K mi on it, but this is untested waters, how much time contributes to the timing guides getting brittle regardless of mileage, and/or still heat cycling from short trips that don't put many miles on. The latter is where I am with my '98 SOHC, quite a lot of short trips, a little over 105K mi, and no timing chain rattle yet but it wouldn't surprise me if it started rattling tomorrow.

Recalls are only issued for what is considered *critical* safety related issues. Your engine imploding because it jumps time from the chain coming off, is not considered unsafe by NHTSA.

Since there is no recall, any timing chain related work is done on your dime. Fortunately "most" people will hear the chain start to rattle on startup, many thousands of miles before it gets bad enough to jump time. I wouldn't avoid driving it due to this, what good is a vehicle that just sits around and you pay insurance on it too? Might as well get the life out of it before everything rusts or rubber rots, plastic gets brittle, paint degrades, etc.

It is in your favor that it only has 100K mi on it, but this is untested waters, how much time contributes to the timing guides getting brittle regardless of mileage, and/or still heat cycling from short trips that don't put many miles on. The latter is where I am with my '98 SOHC, quite a lot of short trips, a little over 105K mi, and no timing chain rattle yet but it wouldn't surprise me if it started rattling tomorrow.
Apparently the timing issues are part of the "Owner notification program" and not a recall and long ago expired. I understand that and am not trying to get anything for free from Ford.
After realizing that a rattle I had heard in my truck was primarily from a worn out belt tensioner, I have a renewed interest in keeping this girl rolling. I am just trying to learn as much as I can and let my OCD run a little rampant.

Apparently the timing issues are part of the "Owner notification program" and not a recall and long ago expired. I understand that and am not trying to get anything for free from Ford.
After realizing that a rattle I had heard in my truck was primarily from a worn out belt tensioner, I have a renewed interest in keeping this girl rolling. I am just trying to learn as much as I can and let my OCD run a little rampant.
Screenshot_20240306_213443_Chrome.jpg

Click on the link.

Recalls & Safety Issues.​

This is a record of safety issues for vehicles of this year, make, model and trim. If you are a vehicle owner, search for recalls by your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). The vehicle identification number tells you if your car is affected.
Learn about our recall process
Have a safety problem?
Report a problem with your vehicle, tires, car seats or other equipment. We review every problem as we work to keep our roads safe.
Report a safety problem

Find recalls by VIN.​

Every vehicle has a unique VIN. Enter a VIN to learn if a specific vehicle needs to be repaired as part of a recall.
SEARCH BY VIN
Recall information from this VIN lookup tool is provided by the manufacturer conducting the recall. NHTSA does not record VIN information or results provided through this
Screenshot_20240306_230559_Chrome.jpg
Just shows 1 open recall. The buttons on the steering wheel were melted when I got the truck. Is this related? I will bring her in. I've been jumping around dealerships for years where I am. Deblasi Ford, Tower Ford, gone. Biener Ford newer. Maybe I should take a ride out to Levittown Ford. I think they are involved in this site and enthusiastic for the "vintage" Explorer. I am still trying to find out if any recalls or ONP work was done. Carfax looks good except it there is a data blackout between 2001 and 2006. Only service on Carfax is when I brought it to a Pepboys for brakes and an oil change when I first got her.

Melted buttons are not necessarily related. Mine were fine for so many years but then eventually the rubber just starts to disintegrate, especially due to summer heat. Replacement switch pods with new rubber domes on them are not expensive, around $20 for 3rd party last time I checked amazon or ebay. However, any switch at this age, or wiring, can develop a fault so do replace anything that is creating excessive heat.

This screenshotted post seems to be off a little.

A TSB (technical service bulletin) is merely Ford describing a service for something that can go wrong. It is not a "voluntary recall" and not something to take a vehicle in to check rather an aid to repairing it and in some cases they will extend warranty to cover something but by now, I can't think of anything that would have warranty extension still valid today.

This screenshotted post seems to be off a little.

A TSB (technical service bulletin) is merely Ford describing a service for something that can go wrong. It is not a "voluntary recall" and not something to take a vehicle in to check rather an aid to repairing it and in some cases they will extend warranty to cover something but by now, I can't think of anything that would have warranty extension still valid today.

Thanks J_C! I am gaining a greater understanding every day. As a State Certified Electrician, I do have an understanding of the limitations of electrical systems. I did replace the steering wheel switches, but never use them.
I have an unreasonable emotional attachment to this truck. I am just trying to do the right thing by her. I would like to eventually give it to my son and want to address any issues that may arise by knowing what has been addressed already. I'm thinking that with proper maintenance and a little love, she can last a long time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back