Is this '04 Explorer XLT worth buying? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is this '04 Explorer XLT worth buying?

NJExplorerFan

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Limited
Hi, I recently found a 2004 Explorer XLT V6 for sale. It has less than 50K miles on it and all original (no accidents). Seems it's well maintained. I'm considering this vehicle to purchase from a private owner.

I was wondering if you can all shed some light on any info. you have on the 2004 model year. Any problems I would expect? This one is selling for $12K. Is it even worth that? My gut tells me it's probably worth no more than $10K.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have an '04. I purchased it during the summer of '08. Truck only had 35k miles, has about 51k now. Very pleased so far. Only routine maintenance, no repairs at all so far. I agree that 12k is a little high on asking price. Offer 10k, especially if cash. :) I would recommend, if not done already, having all the fluids flushed, including tranny and differentials, just to be on the safe side. Also, listen close for any "roaring" noise from the rear end on test drive, as some of these have problems with the rear bearings going bad. I have not had this issue on mine. There have been a couple of recalls on the '04. One dealt with a shift solenoid in the tranny, not sure about the other one. Mine had been done before I purchased it.

Oh cool... thanks for your input. I have been reading alot about these rear bearings on Explorers making noise and going bad. Does this happen on 2004 models only? Are there other pointers you guys can give me on things to look and listen for in the test drive? What other problems can this have at under 50K miles? Seems pretty low mileage for an SUV just about 6 years old. Should I look for 2005 models instead with higher mileage?

my '04 has been for the most part a great truck. Even though the trans was rebuilt at 60k, front wheel bearings only (one side made a slight noise the other side was fine, i did them in pairs), other than an ABS sensor or two, little paint peel on the hood. Knowing what i know now, i'd still buy another '04.

I got mine from Enterprise in 2005... I thought that being a "rental" truck, it had been abused... but so far so good... wheel bearing issues and transmission selenoids... fixed cover by extended warranty... I also purchased another extended warranty earlier last year (I think) and it will cover major issues up to 188K mi... so far I have about 102k mi in the odo.

This is my 3rd explorer and by far the best (previously owned 2-doors).

Plus you will get a lot of support from the guys in this forum...

Good luck and enjoy.

From what I can read on this and other sites, the '02 and '03 are more prone to the wheel bearing problem. If it drives good, go for it!! And, get it inspected by someone you trust, just to be on the safe side. And ask for their maintenance records!!

Back