Is this a SecuriLock issue? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is this a SecuriLock issue?

compson

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Limited
Hey guys... Stock 02 Explorer Limited here. Just acquired maybe three months ago. I don't drive much. Mostly, this car sits parked on the street here in NYC.

Went out to the car today, and the keyless entry doesn't work. Not great. There's a sign on the window that someone taped there that just says "ALARM". Also not great.

Open the door with the key, put key in ignition, power seat doesn't move. Turn key toward ignition, gauge needles all go to max, airbag light comes on and stays on. Dome light on. Nothing from a/c or stereo. No THEFT light.

Engine doesn't do anything.

Is this a SecuriLock issue, or something more grave? Any ideas? Note that I only have the one key.

Thanks, everyone.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

How is the battery?

I have no idea how the battery is, and don't really have a good way to test it, given that I don't exactly have a garage. :) I'll get it tested tomorrow somehow.

Is it possible for the alarm to be on so long that the battery dies? You'd think that this should be made impossible by the manufacturer.

Symptoms you are describing lead me to believe there is an issue with the battery. If the battery is low/dead, I can't say what caused it.

Usually the local parts stores will test the battery for free.

Let us know how you make out.

Is SecuriLock a brand name of an aftermarket alarm system?

So maybe the alarm was set off (horn honking, lights flashing) and someone left you a note. Usually, the horn will stop honking after a few minutes but the lights may continue to flash.

From what you're describing, I'd suspect battery and/or battery cables and connections. Those are easy things to check and fix. Cleaning the battery posts would be a great place to start.

Let us know how it turns out.

Guys, it appears that it was just the battery. Had a jump start and everything is good. I'm thinking that the storm the other night caused the alarm to go off, and it stayed on for... uh... quite a while. The car was parked about half a mile from my house, so obviously I didn't hear it.

Now, is it possible to permanently disable the OEM alarm? Can I just pull a certain fuse?

Thanks!

Back