• Register Today It's free!

ISO Drivers side Drum backplate

lild123

Reaction score
City, State
TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993, Explorer XLT
A few months ago my parking brake got stuck and consequently my drum caught fire but it was the drivers side, anyways I was trying to see if someone had one for sale or if there’s another backplate that will work for a 93 explorer? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you know what is wrong with your backing plate?

I ask because I had a problem with both of mine in about 1999 when I rebuilt my old 93 Limited. The drum brake pads wear through the backing plate where they rub against constantly. The pads get hung up in those grooves, which can become holes eventually. I had the grooves filled in with a welder and ground the surfaces down smooth again. If that's the problem with yours, it may be just as simple, to add weld material to the backing plates and smooth the out.

You can also convert to disc brakes from any 95-01 Explorer, with minor work to balance the front to rear, many have done that. The brakes easily swap among those, the 2nd gen's are all rear discs.

A few months ago my parking brake got stuck and consequently my drum caught fire but it was the drivers side, anyways I was trying to see if someone had one for sale or if there’s another backplate that will work for a 93 explorer? Thanks!
I lucked out and found one in a bone yard near me. Not too many around these days.

Do you know what is wrong with your backing plate?

I ask because I had a problem with both of mine in about 1999 when I rebuilt my old 93 Limited. The drum brake pads wear through the backing plate where they rub against constantly. The pads get hung up in those grooves, which can become holes eventually. I had the grooves filled in with a welder and ground the surfaces down smooth again. If that's the problem with yours, it may be just as simple, to add weld material to the backing plates and smooth the out.

You can also convert to disc brakes from any 95-01 Explorer, with minor work to balance the front to rear, many have done that. The brakes easily swap among those, the 2nd gen's are all rear discs.
Yes 🤦‍♂️ I should had been more specific, the plate is warped from all the heat and idk if it can be put back into its original form. I may have to look into a conversion

That sounds wise to replace it if it warped from heat.

Does anyone know if the ranger drum backing plates are the same as the explorers? I’m thinking of going to pull a part this week and getting a drum plate but it says they don’t have a explorer in stock. That isn’t always the case because sometimes the website has been wrong but I just wanted to make sure that if they didn’t have one then a ranger from the same generation would.

Does anyone know if the ranger drum backing plates are the same as the explorers? I’m thinking of going to pull a part this week and getting a drum plate but it says they don’t have a explorer in stock. That isn’t always the case because sometimes the website has been wrong but I just wanted to make sure that if they didn’t have one then a ranger from the same generation would.
Look for any 4.0 ranger, or a truck with the 8.8 axle and towing package. Aerostar vans with the 4.0 have the same brake and I think F150s use the same backing plate. They also have the 8.8 axle.

The fullsize trucks had an 11" brake, the explorer, ranger, Aerostar with the 4.0 had a 10" brake. Keep an eye out for Mazda B series trucks too. People often forget those are basically rangers.

I ended up getting a drum plate from an 06 ranger and modifying it (Drilling new holes and making the axle hole larger) and it works for now til I can find a proper replacement!

Back