Ist time Ford owner ... help, please :) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ist time Ford owner ... help, please :)

kellylynnsievers

Reaction score
City, State
Santa Monica, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer XL
Hello All,

This is my first forum ... ever. I am reaching out to all of you for help. I have driven Honda for years and it was time to get a new car. After researching used cars, my husband found a 2014 Ford Explorer XL and in October of 2016 we drove it away from the dealership. The car had around 30k miles and it we signed up for a warranty as well.

I never had any issues with my previous cars except for the typical oil, new tires, and brakes .....

The problems started after the first week:

1. the interior panel on the passenger side came detached from the door.
2. the panels that frame the front window came off. The first panel came off when we were on the freeway. The 2nd panel came off after my husband spent the day at the dealership having the other panel put back on. When he left the dealership that day, the other panel came off when he was returning home on the freeway.
3. this is minor, but the rubber came off of radio dial. It just seems like one thing after another.

I am worried about how much money I will have to spend on fixing what appears to be defects in the quality of the car.

Can anyone offer any advice? Apparently the warranty of over and I cannot afford to repair the car every month. Thank you for your help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds like theyre related to the windshield being replaced? Its a trade in, can ask what work was just done before it was up for sale, they might tell you since they keep it on file. I'm sure the car wasn't continually falling apart for the previous owner, Ford dealer might be able to tell you what previous repairs were done depending how moody the advisor is.

sounds like theyre related to the windshield being replaced? Its a trade in, can ask what work was just done before it was up for sale, they might tell you since they keep it on file. I'm sure the car wasn't continually falling apart for the previous owner, Ford dealer might be able to tell you what previous repairs were done depending how moody the advisor is.
Thank you for your advice. I REALLY appreciate it :)

Hello All,

This is my first forum ... ever. I am reaching out to all of you for help. I have driven Honda for years and it was time to get a new car. After researching used cars, my husband found a 2014 Ford Explorer XL and in October of 2016 we drove it away from the dealership. The car had around 30k miles and it we signed up for a warranty as well.

I never had any issues with my previous cars except for the typical oil, new tires, and brakes .....

The problems started after the first week:

1. the interior panel on the passenger side came detached from the door.
2. the panels that frame the front window came off. The first panel came off when we were on the freeway. The 2nd panel came off after my husband spent the day at the dealership having the other panel put back on. When he left the dealership that day, the other panel came off when he was returning home on the freeway.
3. this is minor, but the rubber came off of radio dial. It just seems like one thing after another.

I am worried about how much money I will have to spend on fixing what appears to be defects in the quality of the car.

Can anyone offer any advice? Apparently the warranty of over and I cannot afford to repair the car every month. Thank you for your help!
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
The vehicle you have is an XLT. The panels you are referring to are the 'A' pillars and they were a real issue with the earlier model years. There are several threads on them, one has 57 pages. Here is another that may be of interest. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/explorer-a-pillar-replacement.444879/
As to the rubber coming off the radio dial I think you are the first to have that issue. Perhaps you can try and see if it can be glued back on. I can't remember when I actually used mine last. The knob is part of the panel and isn't available separately from what I've read.

Peter

Hi Peter,
Thank you for taking the time and explaining to me the situation. I could not believe that this actually happens so it was helpful to see other people's experiences. This forum has been amazing. I really appreciate your input :)

Kelly

Back