It was an interesting day | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

It was an interesting day

Turbos are awesome 300 horsies and 310 ft lbs from a 2.3 is *****in
Half the liters of your 07 half the cylinders and all the performance thanks to the 10 speed.

The first thing it says on ford website when you look at the timberline is it has a Torsen limited slip rear axle lol

Congrats on the ride I love the colors.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is correct - and we didn't even know that when we bought it. Our Timberline is far from a land barge - I would rate it as crisp actually - but no - it won't handle like an ST and that's fine with us. Like Rick said - everyone's opinion of ride quality is very subjective. Unless you have some very expensive hardware to control the suspension to make it variable then it will be tuned to the purpose of the vehicle. I've owned sports cars in the past and the idea of the ST is appealing to me - but that's not why we bought an Explorer.
Also, on the 'I didn't know it had that' front because we never really looked at the Timberline before we bought one - we were in it today and I noticed the gear selector had a button the the middle with a M on it. We were confused - she mentioned that there was an M on the gear selector indicator on the dash. Looking at the dash from the passenger seat I then noticed that it had shift paddles on each side of the steering wheel. I then concluded it had a manual shift mode. I don't remember seeing that on the XLT we had driven. Also, I did not know it had a limited slip differential until we were driving it home and I was lookGood l
Good luck with your Timberline! I have seen a few and really like them. I have a 21 XLT Sport Appearance package and with trailer tow it also has manual mode with padel shifters. They we're actually part of the trailer tow package. They discountinued that on the XLT and Limited for 22. Only available on ST and up..not sure about the ST=Line. As far as the softer , quieter ride with the XLT that is what I wanted. My fillings rattle enough when I drive the Mustang.

Good luck with your Timberline! I have seen a few and really like them. I have a 21 XLT Sport Appearance package and with trailer tow it also has manual mode with padel shifters. They we're actually part of the trailer tow package. They discountinued that on the XLT and Limited for 22. Only available on ST and up..not sure about the ST=Line. As far as the softer , quieter ride with the XLT that is what I wanted. My fillings rattle enough when I drive the Mustang.
ST-line with tow package does not have paddle shifters. 😕

I gave the 07 a bath today and pulled it in the garage and waxed it. It's interesting to see the 07 sitting next to the 22. You can see the lineage there - but at the end of the day they are two distinct vehicles. Most people wouldn't realize that they are both Explorers.

Ha, did the same for my wife's new Timberline today. Put two base coats of Turtle Wax Graphene Flex Wax on. Been using that on my Mustang for the past year and a half. After the base coats I just use a few sprays per panel as I dry the car and it keeps the protection going. It's a daily driver so it sees a lot of dirt.

I gave the 07 a bath today and pulled it in the garage and waxed it. It's interesting to see the 07 sitting next to the 22. You can see the lineage there - but at the end of the day they are two distinct vehicles. Most people wouldn't realize that they are both Explorers.
You said the Timberline had a green interior. Is that correct? I don't think I've seen that in any pictures. Congrats BTW.

Peter

You said the Timberline had a green interior. Is that correct? I don't think I've seen that in any pictures. Congrats BTW.

Peter
That is correct.
Edit - added a pic. It's in the garage right now - it's a little washed out - the green is a little darker than it appears. The door panels are the same green. The steering wheel is black but it also has the orange stitching.

Timberline Interior.JPG

BTW - I've done a search on this but haven't seen any reference to it so I'll ask. What's up with the wheel well material? I'm used to hard plastic - this appears to be some sort of hard felt? How do you clean this? It reminds me of a trunk liner material that I've had in cars before.

BTW - I've done a search on this but haven't seen any reference to it so I'll ask. What's up with the wheel well material? I'm used to hard plastic - this appears to be some sort of hard felt? How do you clean this? It reminds me of a trunk liner material that I've had in cars before.
its similiar to carpet :banghead: keeps noise down... i clean it with a medium stiff bristle brushand come carpet cleaner or APC

We just now hooked the Explorer up to the home WiFi for updates - interestingly enough it only seems to work on the N band and not on the A band - I would think at this point everything would support the 5GHz band. Still playing around with Ford Connect but not sure if it's something we will continue with - just not seeing the purpose there yet for our needs considering that it probably shares too much. The hot spot isn't really a thing since everyone has a phone with data and I'm not itching to do work with my laptop from there.
I'm going to spend some time going down the rabbit hole of connectivity on this thing and see what it's buying me that I really need and when the free period goes away and they start wanting money. I'm wondering if I turn it all off will it have any real impact and will it stop making random noises all the time in the garage.

We just now hooked the Explorer up to the home WiFi for updates - interestingly enough it only seems to work on the N band and not on the A band - I would think at this point everything would support the 5GHz band. Still playing around with Ford Connect but not sure if it's something we will continue with - just not seeing the purpose there yet for our needs considering that it probably shares too much. The hot spot isn't really a thing since everyone has a phone with data and I'm not itching to do work with my laptop from there.
I'm going to spend some time going down the rabbit hole of connectivity on this thing and see what it's buying me that I really need and when the free period goes away and they start wanting money. I'm wondering if I turn it all off will it have any real impact and will it stop making random noises all the time in the garage.
The only thing I've been able to use it for was to connect my phone to my dashcam. Using it as a real hotspot has not worked for me yet. But I haven't really tried that hard either.

Back