ive searched and still no such luck. questions about SOA | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ive searched and still no such luck. questions about SOA

limit_explore

Reaction score
City, State
Los Gatos, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Limited
hey guys. so almost got the explorer back on the road. just completed a tranny swap, and am now ready for my lift. i found the front lift kit with 6 inch coils for....$75:eek: and to level out the rear i was going to go with soa. however ive been told that i will need to lengthen my rear driveshaft if i go soa? is this true? are there other ways around this? any info appreciated. thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did the spring over and still use the same drive shaft. I drive it on the road and wheel the piss outa this thing and have had no issues.

I have soa and a aal and a locker and my slip joint poped out.im getting it extended 3".it only cost $150 so its better than it popping out on the street or trail.

Driveshaft extended

I have Superlift rear leafs. I believe they are a 2" lift. I also have a SOA. I did have to significantly lengthen my driveshaft. I also had to adapt it to a Ford 9" rear end. While I was doing the SOA. I welded the spring perches so the rear yoke was pointing directly at the transfer case output. This made me need a CV type U-Joint set up at the transfer output. I might have well bought a whole new driveshaft.
The name of the company is "Driveline". They are in Orange County, CA. He did the thing for $100.00. See Ray,

http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h349/Elgatoprerunner/IMG_0618-1.jpg

hey guys. so almost got the explorer back on the road. just completed a tranny swap, and am now ready for my lift. i found the front lift kit with 6 inch coils for....$75:eek: and to level out the rear i was going to go with soa. however ive been told that i will need to lengthen my rear driveshaft if i go soa? is this true? are there other ways around this? any info appreciated. thanks!
As you can see, the answer varies from vehicle to vehicle. So just do the SOA, measure the required driveshaft length (u-joint eye-to-eye measurement) - that measured figure should then dictate whether or not the driveshaft needs to be lengthened.

What's the max safe length?

Mine was 46" middle eye to eye on the main tube when mine popped out.i went 3" longer and think i should have only gone 2".i only have about an 1.5 compression now.don't know if thats enough

What's the max safe length?
I think most would agree that 2" is the safe bet. The problem isnt just the driveshaft falling apart into two pieces, but with shorter splines length engaged, there is more torque being applied to each engaged length of spline which increases the chances of deforming / twisting the splines - which would make the driveshaft useless. But this 2" is at MAX length (not at static ride height) and we don't have 100% confidence on what the exact full MAX length is (per your other thread).

I was saying i got mine extended 3" and think i should have only gone 2".at ride height stock drive shaftmine,was 46 eye to eye and i only have about 2" of the spline into the other socket.it would pop out under flex and hard accelerations.now i have about 5.i would think 45 would be the max at ride height for a stock driveshaft

thanks guys for the help! ill get my soa done and measure it.

Never extended mine. It has yet to pop out.

I have a locker front and rear so it may help to pop out

Drive shaft

Is there any other ford model that has a longer drive shaft that can be used instead of lengthening the drive shaft when performing the SOA?

Is there any other ford model that has a longer drive shaft that can be used instead of lengthening the drive shaft when performing the SOA?

Nope,or i couldn't find any

It appears to differ from setup to setup. I have been wheeling my rig pretty hard and have yet to have any issues with my driveshaft.

Back