Jack's SAS version 3.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Jack's SAS version 3.0

I am consolidating my build thread and the sas build into one thread so below is a link to my original build thread in case anyone has too much time on their hands and wants to see how this whole ordeal started.

notajeep_wv build thread

the next step.. SAS parts update 2/18

Its time for a SAS, time to take making Jeeps look bad to the next level lol
Lets keeps track of how much this is costing me so I can look back at it later and think of all the other things I could have done with the money.

what ended up on the truck..

74 EB D44 with track bar, steering, 2 sets of RAs - $200
F150 knuckles, spindles, hubs, rotors, calipers - $35
MileMarker premium hubs - $80
4.89 G2 gear set - $175
4.88 G2 gear set - $200
D44 install kit - $80
5.5 WH coils - $160
Duff SAS trac bar bracket - $150
Duff Coil seats - $75
D44 TruTrac - $425
7* bushing kit - $50
Moog HD ball joints - $120
axle joints - $40
Duff steering - $350
Cooper 35x12.50 STTs - $840
custom built trac bar - $80
F250 shock towers - $30

eh, its a start

axle3.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:chug: Looking forward to the build.

oh man!

subscribing!

looks like my axle laying there!

100-0010_IMG_2.jpg

anyone know of cheaper place to get coil spring retainers? jeff's and wildhorses want like $90 for a set.

If I could stop wheelin the truck I could tear the TTB stuff out from under it.. gives me more time to procrastinate on the axle

I'm a few years into building this up myself.

Lets keeps track of how much this is costing me so I can look back at it later and think of all the other things I could have done with the money.
I'll like how you put that!

You using the factory explorer coil buckets?

This has one serious flaw and it effects most everyone who tries what your doing...When is it time to call it quits.

Front D28 led to a D35, D35 led to a D44 now searching graigslist for front d60

Rear stock rear axle led to 8.8, 8.8 led to D70 and so on and so on.

Then all the shocks, gear ratios, different tire sizes, different drive shafts, transfer cases not to mention since I'm DIYselver. Over one million cut off wheels and Sharpies

gman, those look awesome, thanks for showing them to me

yosty.. yes, for now stock coil buckets, friend of mine SAS'd a ranger this way and it turned out great.

rookieshooter.. the fun never stops, but i promised the wife this is as far as id take it for a while lol

ordered a bearing kit, 7* poly bushing set, wildhorse 5.5 coils, trac bar bracket, ball joints, duff hd coil buckets, coil retainers and something else but i cant remember.. ill have to think about it. should start getting packages next week. this sunday may be the last time the TTB is out on the trails.

I never added up mine. I don't really wanna know. Good luck!

so far I only have about $600.00 - $800.00 into my front axle build up.

between the axle, gears,disc brake conversion, bearings and C bushings.

but I have a lot of hours in the fab and setup work so far.

can't wait to see pictures of the evolution that is about to transpire!

coils, top retainers, and trac bar bracket arrived. picked up a fw d44 with new-ish 4.10 ring and pinion, flat top knuckles from a friend yesterday. need to get all my stuff to my FILs garage so I have a warm place to work.

plan is to get the axle completely ready, then park the Explorer and tear down the TTB stuff. prbly gonna sell everything I can off of it to recoup some money, hoping I can get enough out of a 4.10 d35 rotor to rotor and the lift to get a selectable locker.

:popcorn: Enough said.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back