• Register Today It's free!

James Duff Bumper on Explorer?

badge49

Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 4X4
At the pick-n-pull today, I found a sweet tubed bumper mounted to the back of a late 80's Ranger. I measured the width from one frame rail to the other to be about 33". Then I measured the width on my '97 Explorer (should be same as '97 Ranger), and found it was 40 some inches wide. I was very bummed to not come home with a pre-fabbed bumper. I could always make new brackets, but the overall length of the bumper would be off. Did they change the chassis width between the older Rangers and the newer or am I just off in my measurements?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

..i was curious so i measured my '95 ranger...outside to outside rear frame rails = 33"...;)

The rear frame on the explorer rear has been wider than the ranger since 95 atleast. I think all of the Explorers were that way because of the way the rear axle is mounted.
But you know that now ;)

The overall width of the body should be the same, or close enough, to use the bumper after moving the brackets...

The overall width of the body should be the same, or close enough, to use the bumper after moving the brackets...

I just might have to go back out there tomorrow and check that overall length. This bumper would totally match the push bumper I bought off you! I got my first arc welder for Christmas, so a fabbing I will be!!! Thanks guys:navajo:

Ok, now I'm bragging....

Just got back from the pick-n-pull with the bumper. It's been terrible weather here for the last week, so I had to wait for it to dry up. I thought I'd brag a bit since I just realized what I really got for $37....a James Duff rear pre-runner bumper for Rangers!!! I had noticed the Duff stamps on it, and just checked against the website. Just me bragging, but here are a couple James Duff pictures of what I got (Mine's a bit dirtier :), but identical to these!!!!!)
8e96uk7.jpg

8g4m42e.jpg

Thanks for the input guys!

Nice score! Are you going to be able to make it fit your Ex?

From what I've seen so far, I just need to cut the brackets off and move (weld) them out a bit to match the Explorer chasis. My buddy helped me hold the bumper up to the rear of the Explorer and it looks like it will fit pretty flush under the tailgate overhang. I should have a lot better decent angle. I just can't beleive I found a $289 bumper on a beater truck for so cheap!

oh brag away that's a nice score!:thumbsup:

be sure to post pics when you get it cleaned up and on the X.

oh brag away that's a nice score!:thumbsup:

be sure to post pics when you get it cleaned up and on the X.

Difinitely! I'm gonna start working on it today. Here's what I have to work with (no dents!!!)
85krxc1.jpg

8euum8z.jpg

Post pics of it on the ex when you get it on. I wanted to do the same thing on mine since james duff doesnt make one for the explorer.

Day 1, Big Post:

Here's what I got done yesterday afternoon. I'm out of town today, but I plan to (attempt) to tackle the welding on Thurs.

Here's the new bumper compared to the existing one (like my custom Class III?)
6ur8cnt.jpg

Step 1: Take off old bumper. Only 4 bolts hold it on.
6ww3fc2.jpg

Step 2: Take off plastic door sill. It's got crappy plastic screws.
6y0p3zt.jpg

The James Duff brackets need to be moved to where the light tabs are (see the little pen mark under the tab?)
6z5y0pc.jpg

Cut off the brackets and grind down the weld.
6ll1tzc.jpg

Here's what the mock-up looks like. It'll get paint later.
6t0d5xz.jpg

I'm going to weld the new brackets where the light tabs are. A (little) triming to the Explorer frame will help move the whole thing closer to the tailgate.
6kjh4xi.jpg

81f3yc3.jpg

I hope to get it welded and bolted Thurs., but we'll see...:navajo:

What was that on the right side of your old bumper?

Lol, I made a bumper mounted tire carrier out of a Jeep Cherokee carrier, fullsize Bronco carrier and BII carrier parts. (It turned out sweet!) I played with mounting it to the crappy chrome on the OEM bumper, but it was too weak. What you see there is the bracket that I was too lazy to remove :) . The tire carrier will eventually be welded to the new bumper once everything is looking good.:navajo:

Oh that what I thought it kinda looked like, I gotta see this when its finished it's gonna be sweet.:D

What do you think?

The weather finally got dry enough to do some welding, so here it is:

First, I had to teach myself how to weld with my new Christmas present:
2j3p7d5.jpg

Here, you can see where the old brackets were, and the parts I fabricated for new, stronger brackets:
2a0ffr8.jpg

I re-used the Ford bumper brackets, which happened to fit:
16h47sg.jpg

Here it is, mounted:
33z8tjs.jpg

I thought the new brackets were ugly (arc welds), so I bought these:
bgz1xt.jpg

I boxed in the brackets, to mount the "D" shackals to:
k3npn8.jpg

Some grinding, sanding and a coat of bedliner:
2ir9qj5.jpg

I relocated and welded on the aux. light tabs for these:
fci8nb.jpg

Here it is:
20rsr9w.jpg

153xis1.jpg

33xcv4k.jpg

Soon to come:

-Diamondplate/other metal top
-Double jerry can, swing-out (left side)
-Tire carrier, swin-out (right side)
-Anderson power connector for rear aux. power

What do yu guys think? (don't make fun of my newbie-welds :rolleyes: )

Could a moderator move this thread to the Modified '95-'01 Explorer fourm? Maybe change the title too?

Turned out awesome:thumbsup:. And its gonna look better with the diamond plate on top to fill the gap. Those are the same lights I have under my rear bumper

Could a moderator move this thread to the Modified '95-'01 Explorer fourm? Maybe change the title too?
Thread moved -- let me know what you want the title to be.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How do you like them? I'm going to splice them into both my back-up light wiring and a remote switch. ( I don't like tailgaters) My hope is that they are bright enough for me so see through my rear tint.

Back