jg09's 1991 Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

jg09's 1991 Ford Explorer

Not to be confused with my 1992 Ford Explorer! Here's my build so far:

First off, let me say, I'm sorry that I don't have pics. I finally got my gf's camera and took tons of pics today, only to realize that I didn't get the cord, too. However, I'll sum up days 1-3 of owning and working on the truck, and get some pics up tomorrow night.

Day 1 (March 2, 2010)
On day 1, i picked up the Explorer. It was parked under a tree and covered in moss and pine needles. Plus, the front wheels and tires had been stolen! It wasn't pretty, but the body was straight and the owners had the paperwork for the transmission being rebuilt only a couple months ago. Over $1500 spent on it! However, the headgaskets were "bad" as I was told. I didn't know how bad, but I'd find out a little later.

I brought up the spare off my '92 Explorer, as well as one of its other wheels and we swapped tires around so that the best tires were on the back. With that done, we loaded it onto a car dolly and took at back to my place. To my surprise, after swapping batteries, the '91 fired up. It ran like crap, but it fired up. I put air in the tires and drove a couple blocks to the gas station. No big issues, so I drove a few more miles to my old high school. In the process, a radiator hose slipped off and the truck overheated. Not a good sign, but fortunately, I caught my old shop teacher right before she left and I refilled the radiator with a hose at the school. My roommate was with me and I tell him to see how much bubbling he sees from the radiator fill hole when I start the motor. I started up the truck only to see a wall of water fly from the truck.

We limped the truck back home where I checked the oil. Sure enough, it was a light caramel color. I guess the previous owners weren't lying when they said the headgaskets were bad! It was later in the day and I didn't want to do much, so I replaced little things like windshield wipers, door lock pulls, and I put another wheel from the '92 on.

Day 2 (March 3, 2010)

Day 2 wasn't very productive. I was extremely busy that day, so all I did was give it a quick bath to get the moss and scum off of it. I was surprised to find near perfect paint. With the straight body, this truck was looking good from the outside. The interior, however, is a different story. It's moldy, things are broken, and it smells like someone was smoking a lot of pot in the back seats.

I also found out the cause of it's poor engine performance. Besides having blown headgaskets, 2 of the spark plug wires came unplugged.

Day 3 (March 4, 2010)

Today was a good day. I took out all the seats in both Explorers. The '92 has clean leather seats, so my mission was to put them in the '91. I quickly learned that Ford changed the seat rail design from '91 to '92 (the '91 rails have BRONCO 2 stamped into the sides, or at least mine did). So I had to do a rail swap. If you're just swapping the rails, I CANNOT RECOMMEND DOING THIS. You won't be able to install the seat belts EXACTLY the way that ford designed them. They still function the same, but they do not work the original way intended.

Continuing on, though, I swapped the seats so now I have blue carpet and plastics with grey leather seats. It's really not a bad combo. I also installed a glove box to replace the broken one. The new glove box is also grey, and that looks VERY goofy, but I'll replace it again sometime later. When I went to install the '92's old chrome exhaust tip on the '91, I quickly found out how bad the exhaust system is rusted. It's completely rusted through behind the mufflers, and the over-the-axle part of the pipe is mangled. As I recall, however, the '92 doesn't have anything after the mufflers, and it sounds stock still, so i'm not too concerned.

Plans for the near future:
clean the seatbelts/steering wheel
Finish swapping tires/wheels (one is stuck to the '92, making it rather difficult)
Swap t-case shift motors
Cut out bad section of exhaust piping

PICS COMING SOON!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

day 4 (march 5, 2010)

STILL FORGOT THE CAMERA CORD! I didn't get much accomplished today. I swapped the 1 piece intake boot from the '92 onto the '91. I also found out that the motor mounts are shot. For the amount of work that I'll need to do, it'll be easier to just put the '92 engine into the '91. So it looks like that'll be the way the project goes. The starter in the '91 also started going out today.

Alright, as promised, pics!

after a quick scrubbing to get the moss off
100_1948.jpg

it was COATED in this stuff
100_1955.jpg

the '91 hanging out with the '92 parts truck
100_1950.jpg

GROSS!!!! i still have to clean this
100_1952.jpg

someone slammed the door too hard after the hinge pins went to crap! both the front doors are like this
100_1953.jpg

while i work on my new ford, my roommate works on his new ford! lol
100_1958.jpg

seats out!
100_1959.jpg

'92 seat on '91 rails
100_1960.jpg

seat mounted. note the color combo. it really doesn't look bad with the blue carpet
100_1961.jpg

that's all i've got for now. more pics later as i do more to it!

Days 5 & 6 (March 6-7, 2010)

I'm sad to say, that I did absolutely NOTHING to either Explorer. however, i made a goal and a schedule. I'd like to have at least one motor out by wednesday. I'm working on making sure i have the tools and equipment to do so.

Looks like you have some work ahead of you swapping motors, what was wrong with the 92 that your pulling all of the parts off of.

the transmission is completely destroyed and the body is really beat up

Thanks to spdrcer34, i have a pretty good idea of what my end project will look like!
attachment.php

i'll probably keep my door handles and rear bumper, tho. i'll just paint them solid white

day 7 (march 8, 2010)

today, i started labeling and unplugging the wiring harness on the '91. I'm starting to get sick, though, so i'm not sure that i'll be able to get an engine out by wednesday. my roommates are getting REALLY sick with some sort of flu, so i'll probably get that, too. pics when i can get my roommate's laptop. my laptop doesn't like to upload pics.

btw, most pics after today will be from my cellphone. i can bluetooth pics to my laptop, so it'll be faster. pics with important details will be high rez still.

Also, I'll be buying spdrcer34's springs that he had in his explorer during the time that the pic above was taken!

Days 8-11 (up to March 12, 2010)

I accomplished absolutely nothing. My girlfriend of a year and a half left me and just getting up out of bed and facing life is a daunting task.

i lost internet at my house, so i haven't been able to update what i've done. However, due to sickness and rainy weather, I haven't done anything, so you guys haven't missed out on anything.

Finally! Updates! I've decided to just do the headgaskets on the '91's motor, despite it having 100k miles more than the '92 motor. It isn't difficult, just time consuming. Today, I got the upper and lower intake manifold off, the alternator, power steering, and a/c pumps, and the valve covers, as well as pull a few head bolts out. I also spent $266 on a complete gasket set for the motor, a bunch of Quaker State oil, anti-freeze, an oil filter, and a thermostat.

More updates: Got the heads out this morning (didn't really work on it yesterday) and put the new gaskets in, just have to torque the heads down. I'm getting a water pump and timing chain, but debating whether or not I want to install them now. I also got a nice surprise when I saw how nice the engine looks inside. It looks like it got cared for by previous owners.

it runs!!!! i assembled everything and it runs again! just not very well. don't know why, i'll look into it though. but it runs and it drove about 50 feet today. so did the black '92. they're now hanging out in the driveway together

25513_383795346828_580281828_4350779_778944_n.jpg

I couldn't figure out why it's running so bad, so I dropped it off at my mechanic's shop. he's going to take a look at it. he says it sounds like a major vacuum leak. I think it sounds like more than that, but hey, he's the professional. He's going to try and get it up and running the way it should be in the next couple days.

i realized it's been quite some time since I posted any updates on my project. it... er... died...

here's the '91 in its current state:

Feb19_001.jpg

the '92 is even less recognizable. the cause of the '91's engine issues was a cracked block. i ran out of funds for the project and since i wasn't very far into it, i let them both go for scrap

Back