Joe93's 91 build up( d44 & 9inch swap, roll cage and more) | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Joe93's 91 build up( d44 & 9inch swap, roll cage and more)

Well I purchased 91 explorer 4x4, 4 door, 5speed from a coworker for 100 dollars. It had an electrical fire inside. So the whole inside was pretty much trashed. I got it with the plan to build it into a weekend warrior. The plans include Herculined interior, roll cage, full width dana 44 and 9 inch swap, custom bumpers, onboard air, rebuild motor, trans and some other things. This project will take me awhile. I want to take my time and do it right the first time. Everything i wanted to do to my 93 will be done to this 91. So it make take some time to see any major changes but I will update as offten as I can. I would also like to hear some of your ideas if you have any. I will be making a list of things that i have done and how much the cost me. I want to keep the cost down as much as possible. Pics will also be added as i go along.

Things Done So Far
91 Explorer- 100 dollars
Rewired and replaced dash.- 40 dollars from the junk yard.
Painted interior and leftover interior panels flat black- 20 dollars
Herculined the floor- 40 dollars
Dana 44 and Ford 9 inch- 150 dollars
Disc brake caliper brackets off a 78 mercury - 10 dollars
Chopped the top- Free
Upgraded the front seat from a 99 eddie bauer- 20 bucks

These pics are the old dash

dash2.jpg

dash4.jpg

dash3.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dude the bed/trailer we got was also blue sprayed with a cheap yellow and I think Brett got it in the springs :) hahahaha It was full of other parts, the fenders liners have pieces on my 88.

hahaha if it is the same that truck got around!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

It may be then. I cut the back off then I went back awhile latter and the bed was gone so it could be the same one.

Ok I posted a Poll in the Poll section. I am having trouble on how to go about this chopped top thing. go to my poll and let me know what you think.

hahaha well if so you have the cab back wall, brett has the bed, and I have the fender skirts :)

well its been slow on the explorer. Due to lack of funds. But I started today on the tailgate. I needed to cap off the holes that were left after i cut it up. Well after playing with my mig welder for a few weeks trying to get the hang of welding thin sheet metal. What a pain that is. Well i started on the tailgate. took me about 3 hours to get to where i am now. Im kinda slow cause im a newbie and this is my first welding project. Here are a few pics. the first is what i needed to cover up and the other two are what i did today. Looks kinda rough. still need todo alot to call it finished. you get the idea though. What do ya think?

IM000369.jpg

IM000370.jpg

IM000371.jpg

looks pretty dang good to me! I hear ya on the learning to weld thing, my first projects will also be body metal = I will be having an experienced friend help me for sure....

Thanks. I think it looks good considering i tought myself from books and the net. Looks better in person then the pics. I have alot of work to do till the gate is finished. Reinforcing it and adding a ranger tailgate handle and filling in the holes from the old latch and lock. Glad i kept all that scrap metal from the ranger thing i cut up. Oh yeah im goin with the soft top im pretty sure.

well here is todays little project. installed the windows i got from Trckmagik he had them made for his other explorer. Man these things are sweet. I like them. No more locking my keys in my truck. :D

IM000376.jpg

what did you do with all the glass? motors? swotches? etc?

those windows are sweet. Any pics of how they mount in/snap up?

410Fortune said:
what did you do with all the glass? motors? swotches? etc?

added them all to the growing pile of parts that came off the sploder. I need to sell that stuff.

Looks great sir. Glad you like them.

Very sharp. That must have really shaved some weight off also. And in the right spot lowering that COG. Are the window cranks and associated hardwarw still on?

rookieshooter said:
Very sharp. That must have really shaved some weight off also. And in the right spot lowering that COG. Are the window cranks and associated hardwarw still on?

all the glass, motors all hardware is gone. I should weigh all the crap i took off just to see how much lighter they are.

Great job. Dont get me wrong, this is a sweet idea that i would actually like to try. but what was the primary reason for this modification? Did you just want to try it or what?

SuperEx91 said:
Great job. Dont get me wrong, this is a sweet idea that i would actually like to try. but what was the primary reason for this modification? Did you just want to try it or what?

liked the look and function of it. Made the doors easier to take off when i want too. less weight. Not as much broken glass. After all the other windows i put in my old explorer, i knew i wanted to do something different with this one.

well i finally made up my mind as how to finish off the chop top. i went with a canvas style cover to finish it up. I have been workin on it toady and i like the way it looks so far. still have alot left to do but here is a pic of what i have done sofar. Still need to put in the window. Also found a cool way to mount some of my lights. here are some pics. More when i finish

IM000383.jpg

IM000382.jpg

Thats how I had my lights on the white rig. I loved the look and the fact they wernt on the roof, but I got a terrible glare from them.

Back