Joe93's 91 build up( d44 & 9inch swap, roll cage and more) | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Joe93's 91 build up( d44 & 9inch swap, roll cage and more)

Well I purchased 91 explorer 4x4, 4 door, 5speed from a coworker for 100 dollars. It had an electrical fire inside. So the whole inside was pretty much trashed. I got it with the plan to build it into a weekend warrior. The plans include Herculined interior, roll cage, full width dana 44 and 9 inch swap, custom bumpers, onboard air, rebuild motor, trans and some other things. This project will take me awhile. I want to take my time and do it right the first time. Everything i wanted to do to my 93 will be done to this 91. So it make take some time to see any major changes but I will update as offten as I can. I would also like to hear some of your ideas if you have any. I will be making a list of things that i have done and how much the cost me. I want to keep the cost down as much as possible. Pics will also be added as i go along.

Things Done So Far
91 Explorer- 100 dollars
Rewired and replaced dash.- 40 dollars from the junk yard.
Painted interior and leftover interior panels flat black- 20 dollars
Herculined the floor- 40 dollars
Dana 44 and Ford 9 inch- 150 dollars
Disc brake caliper brackets off a 78 mercury - 10 dollars
Chopped the top- Free
Upgraded the front seat from a 99 eddie bauer- 20 bucks

These pics are the old dash

dash2.jpg

dash4.jpg

dash3.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

when are you puttin the d44 and 9'' in there ? what tires are you gonna run ?

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Trckmagik said:
Thats how I had my lights on the white rig. I loved the look and the fact they wernt on the roof, but I got a terrible glare from them.

Thats where i got the idea for them. I need to get another radio antenna bracket so i can mount up the other light. that one in the pic only took me 5 minutes to mount, should be fairly easy to mount the other the same way. I'm tryin to keep everything off the roof so if i do roll it less crap to break. I'll try them out and if i dont like them there then i'll find somewhere else to mount them. the d44 and 9 inch go in whe i get ther rest of my parts. i'm waiting on my coils to get the 44 under there. should be here soon. If you look close in the pic of the cover you can see i already have the frontend tore out and ready for the 44. The axle thats in under there is the 9 just sittin there so i could see how much wider the fullwidth were going to be. havent really decided on tires. I think it just depends on what i can get a sweet deal on at the time.

well the rear cover is pretty much done just need to put in the window and thats it. I think it looks good for my first try. The jeeper guy up the street stopped by and said it looked pretty good. Also finished getting the front lights mounted. Still need to run my switch and relays for them.

IM000384.jpg

IM000385.jpg

IM000386.jpg

mAn that cmae out great for a first time, lets see some details of it from inside and how it attaches to the roof!

Also thanks again for the parts and meeting me more then half way, AWESOME

410Fortune said:
mAn that cmae out great for a first time, lets see some details of it from inside and how it attaches to the roof!

Also thanks again for the parts and meeting me more then half way, AWESOME

Thanks, 410. No problem at all meeting you halfway glad to do it. Little did i know thte ride home was going to be a very expensive one. About 10 minutes after we left i blew out the rearend in the dakota. So after a 2hr wait on the side of the road and a towtruck ride home i made it back. :rolleyes: Anyway here is a pic of how it mounts to the roof. I think I may put some velcro between the snaps on the top. Also here is a pic of how the inside looks when the back seats are folded down. I;ll get some better ones when i put in the window for it.

IM000390.jpg

IM000387.jpg

Dude!!!!
What happened? pinion bearing?
I hate that stuff, I came VERY close to losing a wheel on the boat trailer during the pouring rain last summer, 2 hours from home. thankfully somebody pulled up next to me and made me aware, 100 yards from the highway (could have been really bad) 1 week and $800 ($120 tow, had to custom make a new axle, etc) later I had a new axle under the trailer

I know factroy tonneau covers that are like this (like a jeep wind jammer) they have a strap in the middle where the horizontal and vertical pieces meet, the strap goes straight down to the floor, it keeps the whole thing from lifting when you are driving at speed.

yes I have been researching chopping up the BII for a few years now....

I like this route so much better then the Ranger back half, you will like the open cab feel (like a Bronco) so much more....

I didn't know what happened at first i was just driving and heard a loud pop and the tires lock up. well i had it towed to my work and i took the cover off and the retaining clips that hold the clutch packs broke and it all went down hill from there. The rear was covered under warranty thankfuly. But still had to fork out the cash for the tow.Dodge said it s a comon problem with the limited slips rears. So if your buddy has a LS in his I would take a look at those clips.

Thats a good idea about the strap, I was trying to come up with something to do just that. Thanks for the tip. I like the look of the soft top way more then i do the ranger cab. Looks alot cleaner.

Check out pictures of Jeep windjammers, also full size Blazer and Full Size bronco tops...I would do my BII just like yuo did your Ex if the top comes off, just with some holes for the roll cage :)

He does have a LS rear, I will make note of it with him as he has no warranty and his truck gets driven kinda hard (it hauls balls)

It looks great! So are those just snaps that hold the top on? Ever thought of adding a window to it (like a Jeep style window in the soft tops, or the ones you have on yours now)?

So any better pics of how you put on those Hellas? That looks great and I've thought about doing something similar. Just gotta make sure the lights don't interfere with my future snorkel. :)

bmxking5 said:
It looks great! So are those just snaps that hold the top on? Ever thought of adding a window to it (like a Jeep style window in the soft tops, or the ones you have on yours now)?

So any better pics of how you put on those Hellas? That looks great and I've thought about doing something similar. Just gotta make sure the lights don't interfere with my future snorkel. :)

Yeah they are snaps. I still need to add the rear window to it. Just didnt have time to do it yet. The lights are really easy to mount. I'll try and get some pics latter. They pretty much mount where the antenna is(used the antenna mount)

What are you planning on for bumpers?

zainyD said:
What are you planning on for bumpers?

something simple and beefy. I havent put much thought into it yet. I just got my coils in today Man they are tall. Just waiting on the C-bushing set to come in on monday. Tuesday i should beable to start putting the 44 under there. :D :D :D :D

nice! What about a cage? If I chop my BII I plan to have the soft top wrap the bar for the B pillar, which would be just under the edge of the BII roof sheetmetal..or use some sort of a plastic lip along that edge, similar to newer jeep tops, more weather friendly!

But for doing this yourself I am impressed! the canvas looks great!

410Fortune said:
nice! What about a cage? If I chop my BII I plan to have the soft top wrap the bar for the B pillar, which would be just under the edge of the BII roof sheetmetal..or use some sort of a plastic lip along that edge, similar to newer jeep tops, more weather friendly!

But for doing this yourself I am impressed! the canvas looks great!

Thanks 410. See i told my friends in high school home economics would come in handy. :D The cage will come in time. I'm in no big hurry to get this thing up and running. I'm trying to do this build up with spending as little as possible. Many trips to the junk yards, selling parts off the explorer, and buying used. I havent really spent much yet. Not till i go pick up my motor from brett. thats the most expensive thing i have bought for the explorer. The canvas cover, after everything a would say it cost me about 30 bucks. Ebay and scraps at the local upholstery shop.

Ah so Barney's (purple 93 sport) 4.0L will live on in your truck!
His 93 is getting an 03 edge SOHC drivetrain SOON

I have some 4.0L parts if you need anything let me know....I love projects and spreading parts around!

yup it will be pput to good use. I'll let ya know if i need anything. thanks

410Fortune said:
Ah so Barney's (purple 93 sport) 4.0L will live on in your truck!
His 93 is getting an 03 edge SOHC drivetrain SOONQUOTE]

SOHC 4.0? Sweet! My buddy had an x with that engine. It screamed! That truck will be even cooler with that. Is it going to be a manual? Is there a thread about it, or...

Back to Joe- Looks like you are making progress. Let me know if you need anything.

Kirby

Joe93 said:
well the fun begins today :hammer: :hammer:
attachment.php

finally...what ive been waiting for lol

JS91X said:
finally...what ive been waiting for lol

Your not the only one. Man Its harder to put in than i thought it would be. Today I played around with locations for everything. Still trying to figure it out. :banghead:

Back