• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Joe93's 91 build up( d44 & 9inch swap, roll cage and more)

Well I purchased 91 explorer 4x4, 4 door, 5speed from a coworker for 100 dollars. It had an electrical fire inside. So the whole inside was pretty much trashed. I got it with the plan to build it into a weekend warrior. The plans include Herculined interior, roll cage, full width dana 44 and 9 inch swap, custom bumpers, onboard air, rebuild motor, trans and some other things. This project will take me awhile. I want to take my time and do it right the first time. Everything i wanted to do to my 93 will be done to this 91. So it make take some time to see any major changes but I will update as offten as I can. I would also like to hear some of your ideas if you have any. I will be making a list of things that i have done and how much the cost me. I want to keep the cost down as much as possible. Pics will also be added as i go along.

Things Done So Far
91 Explorer- 100 dollars
Rewired and replaced dash.- 40 dollars from the junk yard.
Painted interior and leftover interior panels flat black- 20 dollars
Herculined the floor- 40 dollars
Dana 44 and Ford 9 inch- 150 dollars
Disc brake caliper brackets off a 78 mercury - 10 dollars
Chopped the top- Free
Upgraded the front seat from a 99 eddie bauer- 20 bucks

These pics are the old dash

dash2.jpg

dash4.jpg

dash3.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

410Fortune

ICE Season
Staff member
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
Callsign
FOURTEN
looks awesome :) Gotta love the first fit of the big ol tires, thats when you see it all come together!

Joe93

Elite Dakota
Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, CO
here is the fender all done. Now i have plenty of room. what a difference a 38 is compared to the bald P235x75r15. Looks alot better with the bigger tire on there. Its finally starting to come together. Now i need to decide if i want to run 38's or 37's

IM000402.jpg

Positive Vibes

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Santa Cruz, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
What did you use to trim the fender?

Joe93

Elite Dakota
Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, CO
Positive Vibes said:
What did you use to trim the fender?

an air body saw. I like it i have used this thing so many times. its worth the money. I think i'm goin 38's cause i think they look damn good and plus now they fit. :D

bmxking5

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Monroe, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Sport & '96 XLT
Joe93 said:
Now i need to decide if i want to run 38's or 37's or maybe some 40s
I say 40s. :D

Kirby N.

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ranger
:eek: Holy Sawzalll :eek:

james t

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Texarkana AR/TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 SAS sport
Nick26 said:
is the edge of the fender sharp now though? wouldn't want the tire to hit at full stuff, i imagine itd slice right into it?
Thats why you cut it high enough that the tire is an inch away from it at full stuff.

Joe93

Elite Dakota
Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, CO
Kirby N. said:
:eek: Holy Sawzalll :eek:

I knew i could make them fit. Yeah the edge is sharp. I'll fix it if it becomes a problem. I was trying to go with the least amount of lift and the largest tire i could.

Trckmagik

Ole Bag
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Celina, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
Looks good Joe. You can fix the sharp edge by using Door trim guard. You can find this in rolls at your local Auto Zone for a couple bucks.

Joe93

Elite Dakota
Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, CO
Trckmagik said:
Looks good Joe. You can fix the sharp edge by using Door trim guard. You can find this in rolls at your local Auto Zone for a couple bucks.

thats a good idea i'll look into that thanks

Kirby N.

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ranger
Looks good Joe! I am ready to see what it can do!

Joe93

Elite Dakota
Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, CO
Kirby N. said:
Looks good Joe! I am ready to see what it can do!

so am i the more i work on it the more i cant wait. Thanks again for leting me borrow your spare. I'll let you know about that reamer after i talk to the guy on friday. How did tuesday go?

Kirby N.

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ranger
Tuesday went great! I am now a proud father! I got to get a Barbie Jeep for her! Let me know on the reemer, unfortunately I don't think I am going to have as much spare time as I thought!!!

Kirby

410Fortune

ICE Season
Staff member
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
Callsign
FOURTEN
no you are not :)

congrats!

JS91X

Reaction score
City, State
cumming, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
so hows this explorer comin' along ?

Joe93

Elite Dakota
Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, CO
well here is the latest addition to the list of things to do. Need to tear it down and see what it needs if anything then put it it in. Also got another five speed trans also.

IM000410.jpg