• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Jrgaylor's 91 Explorer full width D44/9

jrgaylor

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1985 BroncoII
more

Attachments

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

jrgaylor

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1985 BroncoII
radius arm brackets and crossmember

IM001226.JPG

IM001227.JPG

IM001228.JPG

splodo49

Ejection seat man..
Reaction score
City, State
Tooele,Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT,75 FJ, 05 Cummins
questions

Hey thanks you just answered a whole bunch of questions with those pics.What degree of bushings are you using and those are the f-150 coil buckets right. I read somewhere that if you get the f-100 buckets you dont have to space them out. I found some on a old econoline but they looked kinda like the explorers buckets so i didnt get them.. Im thinkin about going with 1/4 ellipticals up front instead of coils what you think about that?O yeah did you move the axle foward any? and did you get rid of your tranny crossmember and just use your newly fabbed one? Thanks.

jrgaylor

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1985 BroncoII
The Bushings I am using came with the truck when I go it, it was already lifted. I have yet to put it on a machine to get the current alignment specs but the bushings that were on the axle when I got it were 7.5* I have more caster than what I want, I am going to be getting rubber bushings for the radius arms (polys seem to stiff) and new c- bushings with less caster.

StickmanC

Reaction score
City, State
Evansville, In
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Love the truck :thumbsup: Have you ramped the rear ( sounds kinky :eek: ) with the shocks on yet. I noticed that they weren't on in the picture.

splodo49

Ejection seat man..
Reaction score
City, State
Tooele,Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT,75 FJ, 05 Cummins
radius arms

You didnt have to space the radius arms out from the frame?

jrgaylor

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1985 BroncoII
splodo49 said:
You didnt have to space the radius arms out from the frame?
I did not lengthin my wheelbase, if anything it is a itty bit shorter now.
I also bent each radius arm a little for better angle at the radius arm bracket.
Where I put my radius arm brackets is just about where the frame starts to get narrow.

BigDave!!!

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego,CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT 2WD
truck looks great and looks like it works a lot better with those new axles

scootr2200

Reaction score
City, State
Western NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1986 Ranger
This might have been covered a 10000x times, but what options would one have for rear axles? I've got a Ranger and want to run 46's on it with a FW SAS and I'm thinking that I'm going to have to cut off my hangers and run F150 springs. And the same with the front... what coil can be used to get enough lift to clear 46's?

Sorry for the newbe questions. :(

Mickey

mitch

Reaction score
City, State
high point, NC (home) charlotte, NC (school)
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 limited
first of all no coil could be found that high, you would have to have them specaily made, but why do that when coil-overs are far better. Also if you are planning to run the ranger on the street 44s are the tallest you can go. I dont even think they sale 46s correct me if im wrong. also both the front and rear axels would have to be huge like dana 60s, 70s, or even 80s and to turn that much tire you would need a huge engine like 400+ hp and even more torque or a ridiculously low gear ratio 6.18+. Not to mention the cost of something on the scale of this. Im not trying to kill your dream but tell u of all the things you are going to have to do. btw try for a smaller dream

jrgaylor

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1985 BroncoII
scootr2200 said:
This might have been covered a 10000x times, but what options would one have for rear axles? I've got a Ranger and want to run 46's on it with a FW SAS and I'm thinking that I'm going to have to cut off my hangers and run F150 springs. And the same with the front... what coil can be used to get enough lift to clear 46's?

Sorry for the newbe questions. :(

Mickey
46's ??? that is Dana 60/14 bolt + territory

93liftedXLT

Reaction score
City, State
left coast
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 xlt
BADASS MAN :thumbsup:

scootr2200

Reaction score
City, State
Western NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1986 Ranger
Yeah, I'll be getting beefy axles... hopefully from a friends '77 F150 that's on 44" Boggers now. I'm just wondering what leafs will work well in the rear and what coils work well up front.

Mickey

dreamr

Reaction score
City, State
Lynnwood WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XL / 4x4 / 4.0 ohv
scootr2200 said:
Yeah, I'll be getting beefy axles... hopefully from a friends '77 F150 that's on 44" Boggers now. I'm just wondering what leafs will work well in the rear and what coils work well up front.

Mickey
Correct me if I am wrong but the f150 had a d44 and 9". Personally I don't think they will handle the 44+" tires for very long if taken off the hiway. Hell they may grenade on the hiway.

Now for lift to accomodate that much tire on a ranger, I am thinking you may just have to remove the fenders up front, add a narrow flat bed to the rear, and a bit of tube work.

j602

resident ******
Reaction score
City, State
Dothan, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
44's on a D44 and 9" is utter absurdity. They'll never stand up to that size tire under any sort of stress.

jrgaylor

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1985 BroncoII
Should I paint my rims black?

Albino 94LTD

Recovering from Moab 2016
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Newcastle Wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
White 94 Limited
Callsign
KG7PKQ
jrgaylor said:
Should I paint my rims black?
NO! They look good white. :thumbsup: :navajo: :D

scootr2200

Reaction score
City, State
Western NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1986 Ranger
Yeah, black would look hot.

He was running the D44 with the 44's for a long time and he recently upgraded to a D60. I'm sorry, I'm just not giving enough information with my posts. lol

Either way, what springs and coils are available to get enough lift? Or am I better off saving up my pennies and going with a 4 link front and rear with coil overs, which I wouldn't really like to do now?

Mickey

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

splodo49

Ejection seat man..
Reaction score
City, State
Tooele,Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT,75 FJ, 05 Cummins
Rims

Beadlocks :D