Jrgaylor's 91 Explorer full width D44/9 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Jrgaylor's 91 Explorer full width D44/9

Full Width Axle Swap

FRONT
Cage extended tubular radius arms
6 1/2" W/Winch BC Bronco springs
F-250 front shock mount (with 3/16” 2”X4” tube spacer) bolted and welded to frame
Rancho RS99261 shocks front
Superlift Adjustable Trac-Bar for 76-79 F100-F150 (Modified)
Superlift Extended brake lines for 89-97 RANGER, BRONCO II, 90-94 EXPLORER (Modified calipers)
Warn Premium hubs
Moog upper & lower ball joints
1 1/2" DOM draglink and tie rod with chevy TRE's
Yukon Superjoints
Yukon Chromoly Axles
Yukon Gears 4.86
ARB Air locker
Dana 44 from a 78 F-150
Stock 78 F-150 Coil Buckets (with 3/16” 2”X4” tube spacer) bolted and welded to frame
Stock 78 F-150 Trac Bar Mount (spaced out 1” bolted to steering gear box, weld to coil bucket and frame and welded gusset to frame)
Tie rod over knuckle conversion draglink and tie rod 1 1/2" DOM and Chevy tie rod ends

REAR
7" Long spring perch (spring over axle conversion)
Rancho RS99254 shocks rear (shock mounts stock 9” swapped side for side and welded to back side of axle)
Yukon gears 4.88
Yukon Chromoly Axles
ARB Air locker
James Duff 9” Skid plate
Stock 78 F-150 brake line
ARB Heavy Duty Airline Kit #HDAL

TIRES
Super Swamper IROK'S Radials 37X12.5-15

OTHER
ARB Air compressor mounted next to radiator
Stock 91 explorer front drive shaft 1310 u-joints
Stock 91 explorer rear shaft with extended slip yoke 1310 & 1310/1330 ******* U-joints

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

more

Attachments

• IM001213.JPG
    IM001213.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 1,887
  • IM001220.JPG
    IM001220.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 1,886
  • IM001221.JPG
    IM001221.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 1,871

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

radius arm brackets and crossmember

IM001226.JPG

IM001227.JPG

IM001228.JPG

questions

Hey thanks you just answered a whole bunch of questions with those pics.What degree of bushings are you using and those are the f-150 coil buckets right. I read somewhere that if you get the f-100 buckets you dont have to space them out. I found some on a old econoline but they looked kinda like the explorers buckets so i didnt get them.. Im thinkin about going with 1/4 ellipticals up front instead of coils what you think about that?O yeah did you move the axle foward any? and did you get rid of your tranny crossmember and just use your newly fabbed one? Thanks.

The Bushings I am using came with the truck when I go it, it was already lifted. I have yet to put it on a machine to get the current alignment specs but the bushings that were on the axle when I got it were 7.5* I have more caster than what I want, I am going to be getting rubber bushings for the radius arms (polys seem to stiff) and new c- bushings with less caster.

Love the truck :thumbsup: Have you ramped the rear ( sounds kinky :eek: ) with the shocks on yet. I noticed that they weren't on in the picture.

radius arms

You didnt have to space the radius arms out from the frame?

splodo49 said:
You didnt have to space the radius arms out from the frame?

I did not lengthin my wheelbase, if anything it is a itty bit shorter now.
I also bent each radius arm a little for better angle at the radius arm bracket.
Where I put my radius arm brackets is just about where the frame starts to get narrow.

truck looks great and looks like it works a lot better with those new axles

This might have been covered a 10000x times, but what options would one have for rear axles? I've got a Ranger and want to run 46's on it with a FW SAS and I'm thinking that I'm going to have to cut off my hangers and run F150 springs. And the same with the front... what coil can be used to get enough lift to clear 46's?

Sorry for the newbe questions. :(

Mickey

first of all no coil could be found that high, you would have to have them specaily made, but why do that when coil-overs are far better. Also if you are planning to run the ranger on the street 44s are the tallest you can go. I dont even think they sale 46s correct me if im wrong. also both the front and rear axels would have to be huge like dana 60s, 70s, or even 80s and to turn that much tire you would need a huge engine like 400+ hp and even more torque or a ridiculously low gear ratio 6.18+. Not to mention the cost of something on the scale of this. Im not trying to kill your dream but tell u of all the things you are going to have to do. btw try for a smaller dream

scootr2200 said:
This might have been covered a 10000x times, but what options would one have for rear axles? I've got a Ranger and want to run 46's on it with a FW SAS and I'm thinking that I'm going to have to cut off my hangers and run F150 springs. And the same with the front... what coil can be used to get enough lift to clear 46's?

Sorry for the newbe questions. :(

Mickey

46's ??? that is Dana 60/14 bolt + territory

BADASS MAN :thumbsup:

Yeah, I'll be getting beefy axles... hopefully from a friends '77 F150 that's on 44" Boggers now. I'm just wondering what leafs will work well in the rear and what coils work well up front.

Mickey

scootr2200 said:
Yeah, I'll be getting beefy axles... hopefully from a friends '77 F150 that's on 44" Boggers now. I'm just wondering what leafs will work well in the rear and what coils work well up front.

Mickey

Correct me if I am wrong but the f150 had a d44 and 9". Personally I don't think they will handle the 44+" tires for very long if taken off the hiway. Hell they may grenade on the hiway.

Now for lift to accomodate that much tire on a ranger, I am thinking you may just have to remove the fenders up front, add a narrow flat bed to the rear, and a bit of tube work.

44's on a D44 and 9" is utter absurdity. They'll never stand up to that size tire under any sort of stress.

Should I paint my rims black?

jrgaylor said:
Should I paint my rims black?
NO! They look good white. :thumbsup: :navajo: :D

Yeah, black would look hot.

He was running the D44 with the 44's for a long time and he recently upgraded to a D60. I'm sorry, I'm just not giving enough information with my posts. lol

Either way, what springs and coils are available to get enough lift? Or am I better off saving up my pennies and going with a 4 link front and rear with coil overs, which I wouldn't really like to do now?

Mickey

Rims

Beadlocks :D

Back