Just bought '97 XLT needs tires | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just bought '97 XLT needs tires

Hello,

This is my first post here at my new hangout, I just bought a '97 XLT and it needs tires.

Tirerack says it has a 15" rim (I really didn't check and haven't picked it up yet). Is this correct? They say the stock size is 235/75-15.

Would I be able to put a 265/75-15 on it with no rubbing? If I do this do I also need to replace the spare?

Anyone who lives in the Northeast have you had trouble with places such as BJ's or Town Fair Tire getting them to put bigger tires on?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those should fit w/o any problem I believe. If you do change tire size, change the spare as well, cause w/the auto 4x4 having a different sized tire if you need to throw on the spare can cause problems. Town Fair probabaly won't give you a problem. BJs or Costco might.

Welcome to the site and good luck with the Ex.

Welcome

I live in CT too!

I have recently bought my explorer (mid-summer) and I have not had to buy tires for it, so I can not help you with your questions. I am going to get stock size anyway.

What are you thinking of getting (brand and type)?

Rob

I'm thinking of:

Michelin Cross Terrain SUV
Yokohoma Gelander H/T
Goodyear Fortera HL
Uniroyal Laredo
Dunlop Radial Rover A/T
BFG Radial Long Trail T/A

Undecided really, any opinions on the above or other suggestions?

Michelins - Great all weather road tires

Have you searched the online sites?

Tirerack is my Favorite for info, but I very recently found a couple others that are a little cheaper. Remember shipping on SUV tires can be expensive ($15 to $25 ea.) because of size and weight.

I suggest that you consider Pirelli Scorpion A/T and Michelin (although expensive). Toyo, Bridgestone and Dunlop are pretty good. Narrow your choices and then research, Tirerack has very good "Review" section where people write in after they drive on the tires. They usually comment on their old ones too.

www.tirerack.com
www.discounttiredirect.com

Good luck
Try not to get too confused!:D

Rob

Well I gave a call to BJs and they said the biggest tire they would put on was a 235/75-r15 so I took a ride over to Town Fair Tire and told him I wanted 265/75-r15 tires and he said no problem, but they only had one option in that size, $500 and a couple hours later and I've got Toyo Open Country A/T tires on my new explorer. No rubbing and it looks great. I did a search of the tires this morning and it seems they are a good tire.

Also, as InspectoRob knows I got to really try my AWD out in the snow today with the new tires, it was great.

have u given any thought to the bridgestone duelter a/t revos? they are new and supposedly very good. :D wana test for us?? hehe

SNOW!
Yeeeha!
I took my wife's new (1200mi. on odo) Escape around on some neighborhood roads (unplowed w/8+inches) and it stuck like GLUE with the Contitrac SUV tires that I heard so much bad review on. Must be the vehicle and the fact that they are brand new.

I took out my explorer for the first time in snow and it was like iceskating! My wife laughed at me!:(

My no-name tires are worn anyway. I was hoping to get another 5 to 10k out of em, but not now. I just ordered a set of 235/75/15 Pirelli Scorpion A/T's from Discounttiredirect.com.

I will update after a few miles, or snowstorm!

Rob

When I bought my 97 xlt it had 235's on it that were nearly bald. I replaced them with 30x9.50-15 Pirelli Scorpion A/T's and never looked backed. These are one of the best tires I have ever owned. Rain, snow, asphalt, dirt, some mud; they handle it all well.

Originally posted by InspectoRob
SNOW!
Yeeeha!
I took my wife's new (1200mi. on odo) Escape around on some neighborhood roads (unplowed w/8+inches) and it stuck like GLUE with the Contitrac SUV tires that I heard so much bad review on. Must be the vehicle and the fact that they are brand new.

Ditto for me. My Escape is insanely btter in snow than my '95 Explorer. I have 31" Michelins and even when they were new they didn't stick as well as the Contitracs on the Escape. I would bet the Escape would do better in snow with any tire on it though.

Back