• Register Today It's free!

Just bought a 2004 Sport Trac

lance6014

Reaction score
City, State
Birmingham, Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 sport trac xlt
I am looking for info on towing my sport trac behind my motorhome. The manual sez I can tow it 4 wheels on the ground with a dealer installed neutral tow kit. Ford sez the business that made the kit for them has gone out of business and they no longer provide the part. I have searched online forums in the motorhome mag and found that all it is, is a light you mount on the under part of your dash, plug it to an already provided harness, have the 4X4 module programmed for neutral tow enabled and your ready to go. I used justanswer.com and ask if anybody had the installation instructions and sure enough, a ford transmission expert emailed them to me. I went to radioshack, bought a lightbulb and some wire and installed. Didn't have a plug, so I had to cut the end off the harness and attached the wire direct. Then I went to a local Ford dealer and had to darn near cuss'em out before the service manager finally got his computer and programmed the 4X4 module. He did'nt charged me anything because he didn't want any liability or he was tired of me standing there raising cane! Anyhow, to my point, The instructions say, crank the vehicle, put it in neutral, press the break for 5-7 seconds. The light blinks 4 or 5 times, then lights steady and I here something operate under the vehicle. The problem I have is 15 to 20 seconds later, the light goes out. If I open the car door, it comes back on and stays on until I close the door, then 15-20 seconds later it goes off again. There's nothing in the instructions about this. Does anybody out there know if this is what should happen or do I have a problem. I don't want to spend the money to rigg the vehicle until I know it's safe to tow.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can't help with that one but that is some fantastic information and once you get it straightened out it would be great to put it all together to post here.

I did the exact same thing with my 2003 Explorer. The sequence of steps is to have the engine running and then shift into neutral. Turn the key back one position without pressing the brake pedal, the light will flash once (actually it flashes everytime the ignition is shut off). Press on the brake and the push the 4X4 Auto button together, the light will flash a number of time (4 or 5) and then stay on. If you rotate the key slightly forward again the light will stay on. If not it will go off like the dome light (after about 20 seconds). It doesn't matter which way you leave it but I like to see the light on the whole time (sense of security I guess). I've towed my Explorer over 500 miles now without any issues.

Hope this helps.

Syntst is right. And so is your local Ford dealer. And while I understand that you wanted it done, also understand the giant liability they would be taking on by programing that for you. Although it was a pain.... they hooked you up.
That truly is all the kit consists of. The programing makes the towing possible. The light is so you know it is ready to tow, and also so you don't drive around like that.

Just make sure you shift it out of park. :D

ost-10-39638-ford_explorer_sport_trac_towed%5B1%5D.jpg

I just pooped.

No way in hell. How could you do that? Really nobody tried to flag them down? How many miles would that take? You'd be well into the rear diff case by the time you got that far. Either people are more inconsiderate and rude than I thought and just let them drive. OR.....the driver is rediculously flaky. I could see forgetting to shift. But then to make it that far! Some people's kids....

Imagine the insurance companies reaction to that.

Back