Just bought another amp but head unit only has one rca cable!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just bought another amp but head unit only has one rca cable!!

bnichols04

Reaction score
City, State
ypsilanti, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 ranger XLT
I just bought another amp and I want my old amp to run my door speakers and the new amp to run my sub but I only have one rca cable comming from my head unit. What do I do now? Put a splitter in the rca cable? Won't that make it sound bad?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You could use a splitter, but you'd be better off buying a crossover, that will send the mids/highs to the door amp and the lows to the sub amp...

If there's only one preout, chances are it's an older unit rated at 2v out.. Most likely you're getting even less than that.

An EQ/x-over will help balance things out and drive the signal, but if you're gonna be dropping some money on a system, you'll want a better headunit with more room for expansion.

Of course Alpine is a big name, but I couldn't begin to start listing model numbers for recommendation because I don't have a clue.

Eclipse has some units with 8v preouts, but you'd be paying for that 'feature'.. I think they're the only ones that offer it. The sound-quality is said to be on par or better than Alpine.. The only difference might be that Eclipse offers cleaner sound, while Alpine offers more features and goodies, but both offer great decks in their own right.

I hear some good reviews on the SQ out of the Nakamichi line of headunits, but have never heard any personally.

I'll be running a midline panasonic (switching from pioneer) in the near future. But they seem to have a good line of decks to choose from too.

I know this got long, but I felt like talking about headunits.

You're probably not even in the market for a new one. But you will be sooner or later.

Stay away from kenwood, fosgate, sony, or any of those other "budget brands" you might find at Best Buy. They offer some decent units, but you'll be paying $100+ too much. Do some research, and you can find some quality decks online at a reasonable price, with a warranty.

End. Sorry. :p

if your system is going to be amplified...go and get the alpine 7995 from cruthfield...that is one of the best head units out there and for only 300 with a warranty its an awesome deal....hell i don't even know why i keep telling people that because when i sell my clarion receiver/tv i want to buy one and they'll probably be sold out by then...lol

I'm running a HU with a single 2v preout, the RCA goes into the 4 channel amp, then that amp has a output on it that feeds another RCA running into the Mono amp - it sounds fine, I just don't have any front/back fade.

Probalby will get a new HU sometime cause I want MP3's but for now the single preout does the trick.

Single pre outs = no problem

Either daisy chain it if either of your amps have pre outs or run a splitter (Y cable). You won't hear any SQ difference.

Back