just did a motor swap, now i have a stray vacuum line | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

just did a motor swap, now i have a stray vacuum line

98xploder

Reaction score
City, State
ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt
i have a gray vacuum line under the hood that looks like maybe it plugs into the manifold, but i cant for the life of me figure out where. it comes up on the passenger side by all the ac junk. its the only one left, and it has me stumped for sure. any ideas? oh. i have a 98 xlt sohc with a 97 motor that just went in if that helps. im wondering if the line just isnt supposed to be there? (i did have to swap the engine harness and starter harness during the motor swap, so i know the 2 years arent exactly the same) anyway, help here would be MUCH appreciated. i can take a pic of the vac line if yall need me to.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Or its the feed for vacuum that goes to the HVAC controls behind your dash.

Can you get a picture?

sure thing. i will go snap a pic right quick.

10-04-08_1328.jpg

see the gray line sitting on the upper intake? thats the one i need to find.

are you sure that comes on the 98? i dont remember seeing one. can i get another pic maybe?
i have a little actuator like that down below my alternator that has the lines hooked up (the white line)

yes 98 has this
All gen II Explorer's have the heater bypass valve.

if you dont want it you can simply plug that vacuum line

the heater bypass valve just diverts hot water from entering the heater core when you have the temp setting below hot
This is to keep the AC colder and so on hot days the passengers feet dont get hot, I actually added this sucker to my bronco II because on hot summer days that heater core allows alot of hot air through on the pass feet

I suspect that is why Ford added them, your 98 came with one of these suckers.
They do leak though (common issue) and they are like $50 new (junk yard is your friend) so maybe the previous owner or you just tossed it? If you remove it plug the vacuum line

good catch mr JT

i currently have it plugged, and the car is still running like crap.. maybe i will search other issues.

Back