Just got letter about sync NEW update | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just got letter about sync NEW update

Randys1

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 explorer
First, I have navigation, so it says if I do the update and I dont simultaneously load the new nav card that I have to send away for, the nav will stop working

So I have a call into local Ford dealer, so far they haven't called back, only been an hour now, to ask them that if I have them do the update do they have the new nav cards there to load or not.

I don't know, does anybody?

I have done my own update once before using usb but i cant do that and then wait indefinitely for the new nav card and be without nav, of course, nobody in their right mind would do that...

PS getting into mysync website, oh my god are you kidding me...i have forgotten my password, the security question answer I am putting in is correct, cannot be anything else, but they say NO, then i take the option to reset the password and it tells me i have tried to reset too many times and locked out

I see some of you have had 3.5 for a few months, interesting..

ok, they called and they have the nav cards, set appt...so ignore me

(I am curious, whether it is BMW or Cadillac or Lexus, do those people go thru this too, i have a BMW and dont recall ever having to do anything other than drive it)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First, I have navigation, so it says if I do the update and I dont simultaneously load the new nav card that I have to send away for, the nav will stop working

So I have a call into local Ford dealer, so far they haven't called back, only been an hour now, to ask them that if I have them do the update do they have the new nav cards there to load or not.

I have done my own update once before using usb but i cant do that and then wait indefinitely for the new nav card and be without nav, of course, nobody in their right mind would do that...

PS getting into mysync website, oh my god are you kidding me...i have forgotten my password, the security question answer I am putting in is correct, cannot be anything else, but they say NO, then i take the option to reset the password and it tells me i have tried to reset too many times and locked out

(I am curious, whether it is BMW or Cadillac or Lexus, do those people go thru this too, i have a BMW and dont recall ever having to do anything other than drive it)

When there is an update do we automatically get a letter or are we required to get it form the website. I am a bit confused. I just picked up my Ex Sport 3 weeks ago. Can it be that there is a MFT/SYNC update already? How can I tell?
Thanks

When there is an update do we automatically get a letter or are we required to get it form the website. I am a bit confused. I just picked up my Ex Sport 3 weeks ago. Can it be that there is a MFT/SYNC update already? How can I tell?
Thanks

look at the production date of the vehicle, driver side door on the inside, it will show a month/year like that

likelihood is you need the update though

I agree that the sync website completely sucks. I had the same issues resetting password, etc several months ago. Since then, it has been ok. I logged on last week. Saw the new update available. It directed me to an external website to order a new Nav card. It was sent overnight (ordered on Sunday, received on Tuesday) - technically overnight as no Sunday shipments. Loaded update on my own. Much better than waiting for the dealer.

Yeah another hour of wasted gas, I have updated my system at least 6 times since 2011. I do have to say it is much better than the first version. I also got a letter extending the apim warranty to 5 years, I feel sorry for the used car market when these things go bad out of warranty and render the car worthless without myfordtouch working.

Did the update took about 45 minutes to v3.5.1
Didn't notice any real difference but after syncing my iPhone 4S it wouldn't connect to the system the next time I started the truck and it didn't have any problems before the update. Thanks ford! Now for v3.5.2

What is the most up to date version number? 3.5.1 or 3.5.2?

We got the letter yesterday too. Called the dealership and asked if I needed to order the (free) navigation card and he said they had some there. I was taking it in for an oil change anyway so it works out for me.

There's been a few odd things happening on ours lately anyway (transmission bump, clock resetting, screen went black for a few seconds) I was going to mention anyway so Hopefully this will fix a few of those.

Thanks
If I had to wait for a letter to tell about an upgrade, I'd still be on V2.4. That is what was in there when I picked up my Ex in March 2011.
The only way I knew of some of the updates was through this forum. Your www.syncmyride.com (SMR) account should show which version you have and if there is an outstanding update but they don't always have the info posted as quickly as it is here.
If you want to see what version you have, check your SYNC account and if in doubt you can also run a Vehicle Health Report (VHR) which will automatically update your SMR account if it hasn't been updated. I assume you are in the U.S. The VHR is not available to us in Canada. You can also use the Status Checker tool on the SMR website.
Latest version is 3.5.1

Peter

........I see some of you have had 3.5 for a few months, interesting..

Many other manufacturers don't offer updates to their systems. They stay as they were when you bought the vehicle. At least Ford offers you the ability to update/upgrade your system.
One thing that would be helpful in answering some of your future concerns/qusetions would be if you indicated in the vehicle specs which model and year Ex you have. Some answers are model specific.

Peter

BMW does do updates - dealers receive TSBs from headquarters and apply them whenever your car is in the shop. When I had an '08 5 series, there were a number of updates applied - some for interfaces, but most primarily for "firmware" such as transmission, telematics, and other systems (once it took a week to do a firmware upgrade because the dealers service server kept on crashing during the update). If you look over your bills, you may actually see it, but no guarantees. If not, and you still own one, I'd be inquiring with your dealer. This does affect BMWs as much as any other manufacturer.

From what I've read thus far about Ford's SYNC, they're "improving" the interface as they go along. I think BMW only applies fixes to known bugs - no significant changes. Personally, I preferred the iDrive for all it's quirks - once you get to know it, you can quickly navigate through sub menus without even looking. The touch interface requires more direct attention. Of course, that said, that's why they're also including voice commands...

I'll second the vote for iDrive. It is SO much better than MFT. I can operate iDrive and adjust climate settings without taking my eyes off of the road (except to confirm an input or select a station if not going to a preset) and WITHOUT interrupting a conversation to spend 30 seconds going through voice commands which may or may not work.

The other nice thing about iDrive is that it has always worked. They do update the system if needed when you have the vehicle in for routine covered service (oil change, whatever). I imagine you could bring it in for an update alone if you wanted, but as it already works well there doesn't seem to be the same level of need as with MFT.

The nav card is easily ordered off the website and arrives within 24-48 hours generally. No indefinite wait necessary

My dealer ran this update and burned up my APIM module. Be careful out there.

Thanks

What is the most up to date version number? 3.5.1 or 3.5.2?

We don't send letters for every update, mbrooks, but generally they're posted to your SYNC Account. The latest update is 3.5.1.

... I have done my own update once before using usb but i cant do that and then wait indefinitely for the new nav card and be without nav, of course, nobody in their right mind would do that...

ok, they called and they have the nav cards, set appt...so ignore me ...

When is your appointment, Randys1? If it's not for a while, you can always order the SD card and perform the update yourself when it arrives. They ship pretty quick. I can help you log into your SYNC Account. Just shoot me a private message with your VIN and username.

Yeah another hour of wasted gas, I have updated my system at least 6 times since 2011....

Did the update took about 45 minutes to v3.5.1
Didn't notice any real difference but after syncing my iPhone 4S it wouldn't connect to the system the next time I started the truck and it didn't have any problems before the update. Thanks ford! Now for v3.5.2

Next time, perform the update during a 45-60 minute drive. It's a good excuse for a road trip! ;)

As far as your iPhone, did you perform a Master Reset after the update? That usually fixes it.

My dealer ran this update and burned up my APIM module. Be careful out there.

Did your dealer replace your APIM yet, or are you still waiting?

Rebecca

I received my letter on the update on 2/2/13, called my dealer, Lynch Ford, Mt Vernon, Ia., on 2/5/13, and made an appointment for 7AM 2/6/13. I arrived just as they opened up, told them I would wait for it, ate a free donut and drank free coffee for an hour and a half while I talked to some nice people who were also waiting. They came and got me and it was sitting out front all washed up and ready to go. I figure that with a dealer like this you don't have to mess around with "Sync". Best wishes to all!

WOW!!!!
Glad to know there are some Ford dealerships doing it the right way!
You ought to start a thread "Great Dealerships" so folks will know about that place- they deserve the good press.

I won't bore you with all the details, RandyH2, but they also beat the price of a competitor by $2,340 when I traded for my '11. It is unusual to sit in a waiting room of a car dealer and not hear one person that is there make a derogatory comment about their vehicle or service that they have received.

When I bought our first BMW I drove a couple of hours to a dealership in your area, maybe Iowa City?, because my local option was so bad. The people at that Iowa dealership made the experience very enjoyable. It must be something in the water. :)

I received my letter on the update on 2/2/13, called my dealer, Lynch Ford, Mt Vernon, Ia., on 2/5/13, and made an appointment for 7AM 2/6/13. I arrived just as they opened up, told them I would wait for it, ate a free donut and drank free coffee for an hour and a half while I talked to some nice people who were also waiting. They came and got me and it was sitting out front all washed up and ready to go. I figure that with a dealer like this you don't have to mess around with "Sync". Best wishes to all!
My dealership, Dupuis Ford Lincoln, also provides free coffee and a wash/dry with every service. I usually spend my time looking at the show room models and talking with my salesman. Will have to work on the donut angle, not that I need it. ;)

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back