Just got stuck in the mud...no one to pull me out?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just got stuck in the mud...no one to pull me out??

MO_GUY

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Farber, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explo Sport 4.0 SOHC
I was just muddin' on a gravel road(more mud than gravel but thats how we like it) I was almost all the way through and then my X started sliding toward the small ditch on the right side....so now my X is stranded about 2 miles from my house, the rear passenger side is leaning toward the ditch....I think I got a guy to pull me out with a tractor but if not......how can I get out? There is absolutlely no way possible that another 4x4 can get down where I was and pull me out without getting stuck theirselves

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok you're gonna need an axe,shovel, highlift, come-a-long, and a towrope with a tree strap.

See if you can jack the truck up enough to stuff some dry dirt underneath the tires. Then dig the tires as free as you can. Then hook up the come-a-long to a tow paint and start winching it.

grr

maybe for future occurances I should invest in a winch? think so? LOL where can i find a good cheap one :)

i would have been fine if i wouldnt have slid over....i even came to a full stop 2 or 3 times and took off with no problem....if i had a winch i could have ran over to a tree and pulled MYSELF OUT!!!

Go get yourself a come-along and some strap and winch yourself out.I think farm and fleet have them:)

he is 110 miles from st. louis:D

I assume your explorer has stock tires still?

If so, don't be afraid to floor it to get yourself out. I mine floor it right on up to the redline. Don't hold it there for more than a few seconds, but you have to do this so your tires will throw the mud.

I am assuming you tried 4x4 Low? If so, try the other suggestions. I might add bring a large throw-away rug (don't remember if this was mentioned). Put some wooden planks in front of your rear tires and cover them with the blanket. Keep your front tires as straight as possible and drive.

wow

oh boy what an exciting day for me......finally got a tractor to take me out and pull it out......guess what......the tractor sucks donkey balls....every time he put a load on the engine after we put the towing chains on it died.....so i ran back and forth with my battery about 20 times.....i floored it so many times its not funny.....i dug ruts about 3 feet down on the passenger side.....mud got all inside my interior so i think my interior is permanently screwed over with stains since its not leather.......guess ill find out when i try to clean the **** up thursday.......ill take out the really big clumps of mud out then i guess shampoo it thursday.....i dont care how cold......this thing did look nice when i got it last week now its looking like junk.........all i was trying to do is have a little fun....WTF?!?!

If all else fails get a flatbed tow truck with a nice winch to pull you out. had to do that when I was 16 and decided it would be fun to mud by myself.:D

good luck

if i couldnt make it through i dont think a flat bed could either.......even if it has 4wd, the rear end is lighter and is more prone to slide back and forth....this stuff is mushy.....and about slinging the mud.....you will sling mud all day long where im stuck....its right by a ditch so there is water....which means there is probably mud for about 4 feet......im gonna be pissed if the thing gets a dent in the side or something breaks trying to pull me out.....but on the bright side.....i just bought this explorer last week with a warranty......when i had to keep charging my battery from the first tractor attempt it seemed as if the engine would kinda jump after 3500 RPM.....when i get it out im gonna see if it does the same....if it does ill take it back to the dealer and see what he's got to say about it

no the flatbed is to park on solid ground and whinch you out. How far back are you?

straps and a com-a-long are your best bet, but you will have to did out some of that mud.

ehhhhhh...

like i said.....that flatbed cant get me out.....there is no solid ground around......its been raining for like 3 days.....light and heavy rain......if i had a come-along and some long chain i could probably get out.....not really sure.....how heavy is a sport? i am really thinking about buying my own come-along now that this has happened....just in case i ever feel the urge to go offroading by myself again....all i have to remember is to stay near strong trees.......LOL

...or stay out of the mud.

sport is about 4500 Lbs.

Well it sounds to me like a classic case of being unprepared.

Here's a simple formula. Nature + 4x4= Nature always comes out on top.

BE PREPARED!!!!
You never know when you'll need tools like these.

Glad to see you got out:D

well trust me.......this will never happen like this again....as soon as i get the extra cash i am buying some chain and a 2ton come-along.....does anyone know where to buy one with a 12 foot lift? or would i get the same with a shorter lift and just buy a really long chain?

Originally posted by 88vert
Glad to see you got out:D

got out? HA!! no im waiting for another person that owns a tractor to come home......hopefully BEFORE dark....but hell.....my hood is still open and my doors are unlocked.....surely he'll come through for me!! i have faith

Well it's best to buy a come-along designed for a cable, not a chain. Trust me, it's a real PITA being knee deep in mud and trying to figure out why the chain is stuck inside your come-a-long.

The one I have has a probably a 3 feet handle and is rated for 4000 pounds or so I think.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am sorry i thought you were out:(

Back