just installed light bar!!!!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

just installed light bar!!!!!!

I just installed my light bar this weekend, drilled through the roof in front of the sunroof and reinforced with 1/4" aluminum on the undernieth side, used a starter relay from a 78 ford, all together there is five kc daylighters right now until i get the money to go with the piaa's. will post picts within a day or two. I sandblasted the chrome and painted all the lights blue like the rest of my stuff. I'll have the picts up soon.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

can't wait to see em :). i wish I had a sandblaster. Some day!

we have one here on base, $1 per hour its great.:D

well here it is:D

Attachments

• image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 363

here is the side.

Attachments

• image005.jpg
    image005.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 395

How much did it cost you to have all the underbody stuff painted?

I spent many an hour, many a wire wheels and paint strippers, and about fifteen cans of paint and around 10 cans of primer at around $3.99 each so not too much , just a pita to keep clean since I get muddy so much.:confused: :p

so what do you guys think???????

looks great!!How much did it run you and where did you get it?

actually I picked it up from a friend who had a toyota , $50 lights and the bar, the bar is a grizzly chrome tube and the lights are KC daylighters.

Are they the shockmounted KC's.They are very bright lights and suck up a lot of juice.I really like what youve done with your truck.Later Brad in Iowa

I had to make my own bushing/rubber spacers to go between the bar mounts and the roof. the lights have their own rubber mounts. also had to put some aluminum braces under the headliner to strengthen , they were wobbling pretty bad with out them. thanks

Looks great!

The color really makes it stand out. I like. :)

thanks Doc. It only gets better right!!!!!!!!getting my gears next week.:D :D :D :D :D :D

Looks great Mike. As bright as those daylighters are I think the extra mucho $ to go to PIAA is something I would put off for a long time.
Are the lights switched in pairs or all together? Is that what the heavy relay is for?
Later...

right now I have the outside and the middle one together and the other two on another. the relay helps my switches from melting down:D

looks very sharp! I agree unless you need to upgrade your lights for some reason, KC's are just fine and keeping them on there will save you the hassle of uninstalling/reinstalling :). Looks good though! Like it's made for the Explorer :)

mike, why is the middle light lower than the other 4?

It's just how the guy I got it from had it that way and I kind of like it so I think I will keep it that way,:confused: :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sweet! I want to get a light bar!

Back