Just picked up an '04 Exp Eddie Bauer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just picked up an '04 Exp Eddie Bauer

MythX

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 Explorer EB
This truck has 135,000 miles on it, and appears to be in excellent condition. Of course, time will tell if there's anything hidden, but so far so good.

Is there anything specific I should examine on it? Common issues with this model that might not be obvious?

There's couple things I've noticed though.

1. When going from drive to park, it gets stopped halfway between park and neutral. If you're not paying attention, you could think it's in park and if you're not turning the engine off, you might get out thinking you're in park, but actually be in reverse. This doesn't happen all the time, but happens often enough I want to fix it.

2. When starting from a stop, the engine doesn't seem to rev up properly. If you're just giving it a little gas to creep forward, it doesn't respond, until you push the throttle past a certain point, then it surges.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's right around the mileage you'll start seeing problems if there are any on their way.

- has the tranny been rebuilt?
- have the differentials been examined?
- how does the oil look?
- have hoses been checked for a vacuum leak?

In terms of maintenance I'd start with the following:
- check the plugs, replace if necessary
- check the MAF sensor in your throttle body, clean with a MAF spray cleaner if dirty
- check the air filter, replace if necessary
- replace the fuel filter, chances are it's as old as the truck
- get yourself a OBD2 bluetooth transmitter to check codes that may not be flagging your Check Engine Light but which could point to problems, which could help resolve your hesitation issue
- get an oil change
- replace the tranny fluid (the guys on here do not recommend a flush, so don't let a shop flush it), which you'll have to do anyways if they drop the pan to check it out
- consider replacing the front and rear diff fluid
- get the coolant checked out

Other than that cross your fingers and hope it lasts through the winter ;)

The above list is excellent! To add just a couple extras that I do. I would suggest a SeaFoam treatment to clean out the engine. I put a whole SeaFoam in the fuel. Also, check your full sized spare and make sure it has proper inflation.

Seafoam, hey? Does that stuff actually work?

2. When starting from a stop, the engine doesn't seem to rev up properly. If you're just giving it a little gas to creep forward, it doesn't respond, until you push the throttle past a certain point, then it surges.

I have a 2004 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer, bought with about 95,000 miles on it. I believe I had this problem, and the dealer cleaned the throttle body and installed some new firmware on the engine to fix the problem. There is a technical service bulletin that covers this.

Seafoam, hey? Does that stuff actually work?

I saw a video on YouTube by ChrisFix. I tried it in my tractor and wow what a difference. I tried it in my truck and it seemed to do what it is supposed too. I get at Wal-Mart for $7.

Thanks for the great advice. I've used Seafoam on all my vehicles, love the stuff. I used to pour some into the throttle body as well. Spits out lots of smoke, but supposed to clean out the top end.

Any particular reason it's recommended not to flush the tranny when replacing the fluid?

Here's answers to the questions you posed:
- has the tranny been rebuilt?
I've seen no evidence of a tranny rebuild. If there are problems, how do they tend to manifest? Slippage, leaks, etc?
- have the differentials been examined?
I haven't, but intend to before long. Is this a common issue in this truck? Is there an effective way to mitigate?
- how does the oil look?
Oil looks good, brown, mostly clear, but not new. Smells normal.
- have hoses been checked for a vacuum leak?
No obvious sign of vacuum leak, but hoses look good.

Truck doesn't leak, I'm getting about 15mpg 20 mile round trip commute in Colorado Springs (lots of hills and lights). Truck has the 4.6L engine (not sure if the EB has the 4.0 option).

It has auto 4x4. Is that sufficient in the snow/ice, or should I just switch to 4 hi? Does this truck have auto locking hubs, or is it a solid connection?

Thanks again for the advice.

Myth:

- checking the tranny filter will expose problems that you may not even know exist. If you see metal shards it's likely the overdrive plantery going on you. Sooner or later it'll crap out, possibly sooner. You may also need the solenoid replaced. Flushing is a forceful procedure and therefore not recommended. You won't change all of the fluid with a panel drop but I was told here that emptying the fluid in the transfer case will yield more tranny fluid. Better to have 50% clean fluid than 100% junk, then replace to fluid again later by yourself. Lots of how-to's out there.

- the rear diff does crap out prematurely, it's an issue. Check the fluid, replace if necessary and inspect for metal shavings. The wheel bearings are exposed to the fluid via the axle so you want clean fluid in there.

- AWD is solid. It'll engage if there's slippage, but if you're on snow or whatever just keep 4hi on.

- check the plugs and your anti-freeze fluid, this is critical. Make sure the fluid is changed, it's likely still comprised of the original fluid other than whats been topped off

- check your tires for even wear. The guys on here say uneven wear kills the diffs

Thanks for the info, you guys are a serious wealth of knowledge. I'll post back after I get the fluids changed with anything that comes up.

Thanks again.

Back