Just picked up some Western Wheels "cyclone" or "turbines" | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just picked up some Western Wheels "cyclone" or "turbines"

So I was shopping around craigslist for some tires. Came across an ad for Uniroyal Laredo tires on Western Wheel Turbine rims. Ive found they are also called cyclone rims. Turns out they didnt fit on this guys dodge. They were just sandblasted, painted, and cleared 3 weeks ago. And the color seems to be remarkably close to the lower portion of my Mounty. I was just looking for stock size tires for the stock rims. I drove 135 miles round trip to get these. I learned when i got there they are unilug wheels. And they didnt come with lugnuts. So I have to find the proper lug nuts and washers with the proper offsets.

I paid $250 for the set. + a little less than a half tank of gas.

So far all i know is the bolt pattern will match up and the center bore will fit over the hubs. I had completely forgotten about offset and backspacing. Oh and i have to get them balanced. And they came with 3 somewhat rusty american racing center caps.

Am I a complete dope for driving that far and paying that much?
The more searching I do on the net the more im finding people wanting these style wheels so even if the offset and backspacing is all out of wack I think I can take the tires off and sell the wheels. But im really hoping they work because I think they would look pretty badass on my truck.

Anyone else use vintage unilug wheels on their trucks?
What do you guys think?

Here is the truck
2010-12-09_16-29-13_366.jpg

And here are the wheels (I should have noticed the oval lug holes)
3n33m73o75V35T65P6b19b2e14013bfca14cc.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

not to sound like a jerk, but those rims would look AWFUL on your mounty... they are a 70's style rim for a 70's style truck... If you really want those tires, dismount them and sell the rims... Teardrop rims look good on 2nd gens, turbines certainly do not

Of course opinions are like a-holes, everybody has one. Hang them on one side and see if YOU like them. That's what matters! Personally I've always like Western Turbines but I am old school. Saying 70's wheels don't look good on current vehicles kind of disagrees with Fords choice of Mach I wheels which is a slightly modernized version of the old Magnum 500's.

dreddog47, I will agree on one thing with ya 'cause I'd sure love to have one of those Marauders!

I really love the the 70's old school styles. I would think if they were their original color it might look a bit funny but the painted color is almost an exact match if you see them in person. I've seen lots of older style rims on newer trucks. Like those chrome wheels with the inward pointing triangles that were popular in the 70's and 80's and they look just fine. Most arent even chrome anymore. Saw some on tire rack for my truck that were black.My buddy has a 99 camaro and I think the thing would look **** with some old school chrome.cragar ss wheels on it.
When it comes to tech im all about new school but styling I love the classic ****.

Now that im looking at tire rack I see some american racing wheels that are the cragar ss style and using the see on vehicle feature they look awful. I wouldnt want to ever be that in your face about the wheels on my truck. I think the turbines are much more subtle.

Ah this is the style I had mentioned earlier that i see on many new and old trucks wether in chrome, black, white, or any other color.
image-7-63-american_racing_wheels_wagon_wheel_series_44_photo.jpg

They seemed to have carried over through the years. And they seem to work just fine. I personally dont like them, Didnt like them then and dont like them now on old or new trucks. But they are better than most of the 18"+ styles ive been seeing recently.

"Most" of the new style wheels are just too ricer/ghay for my old tastes! Just too hard for this old dog to change......

For me my age doesn't seem to affect my style tastes. Or I got them from my dad. Im 26 and I grew up going to classic car shows and being around classics. I rode in a Model A to a few car shows. A few times in a big old bronco. My dad had a 68 mustang coupe with a 289. I think classic styling is in my blood.
I will say before the mounty I was driving an eagle talon that during the summer id put on some 17" enkei wheels. Not too rivet. Mainly because I had snow tires on the stock 14" rims. And what kind of handling can you get from narrow 14" wheels.
Anyways.

Like I mentoned before these wheels came with 3 american racing center caps. They appear to be the kind you install from the rear before putting the wheels on the vehicle. They were pretty rusty and dented. I tried cleaning them up with steel wool. One was ok, one the chrome started flaking off, and the other just wouldn't clean up. And like I said all are dented.
So now im in the market for a set of chrome center caps with mercury symbols that install from behind the wheel.
That or the 3 spoke "spinner" style center caps.

Ok got some pics of them on the truck.
I really love the look. Worked out exactly as i thought they would. Perfect. I just need some decent center caps.
And from what i read unilug rims are hard to mount? These were easy as pie. Centered and balanced. My garbage tires on the stock rims were so bad they caused my alignment to be so out of wack. Ive never had bad tires pull the wheel so hard.
2011-02-17_12-39-24_227.jpg

I did learn that these tires are old as ####. I knew they were somewhat dry rotted but not to the point of destruction. My girls dad said he had the same tires on his 84 s10. Well better than what i had.

Rim's look great man.:thumbsup:

One funny thing is tho', that down here we call 'em hurricanes. Trippy ay?
My favorite rims are hurricanes, the solid centrelines?, kidney's and 5 spoke dragway's.

Ok got some pics of them on the truck.
I really love the look. Worked out exactly as i thought they would. Perfect. I just need some decent center caps.
And from what i read unilug rims are hard to mount? These were easy as pie. Centered and balanced. My garbage tires on the stock rims were so bad they caused my alignment to be so out of wack. Ive never had bad tires pull the wheel so hard.
2011-02-17_12-39-24_227.jpg

I did learn that these tires are old as ####. I knew they were somewhat dry rotted but not to the point of destruction. My girls dad said he had the same tires on his 84 s10. Well better than what i had.

nice wheels they match the mounty grill perfectly

not to sound dumb but did you try to place the mounty centers on them

I didn't like the rims when they were in the top picture but seeing them on the mounty, they look really good.

They are hell to keep clean but they look good. You can go to the AR homepage and order new center caps for them.

Ah this is the style I had mentioned earlier that i see on many new and old trucks wether in chrome, black, white, or any other color.
image-7-63-american_racing_wheels_wagon_wheel_series_44_photo.jpg

They seemed to have carried over through the years. And they seem to work just fine. I personally dont like them, Didnt like them then and dont like them now on old or new trucks. But they are better than most of the 18"+ styles ive been seeing recently.

Is anyone running these? I'm curious how my front manual hub would work out with it... Thanks!

Back