Just Sold Factory HU & Changer, Need Suggestions Fast! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just Sold Factory HU & Changer, Need Suggestions Fast!

rpr

Reaction score
City, State
Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Limited
OK, I finally took the plunge and sold the factory Premium HU and 6-disc CD changer from my '97 XLT. I now have to work around a 3 year old Kenwood HU (Model KAC-501, 25Wx4 peak, 20Wx4 @10% THD, 15x4 @ 1% THD) as well as what's left of my factory system (wiring, amp and speakers).

What do you audiophiles recommend I do with a budget of a few hundred bucks (let's call it $400 to $500 max).

The Kenwood HU includes a CD controller, so a Kenwood CD changer is a given (I'm thinking the KDC-C717 @ ~$180).

Obviously, I guess it makes sense to replace the factory speakers. No subs needed for me, but the Pioneer 6x8's really don't impress me. Are component speaker systems really worth the installation hassle and which ones are recommended as providing the most bang for the buck?

I guess to answer the last question, I need to look at the amplifier situation first. This is where I get lost. Do the wiring harness adapters for aftermarket HU's maintain the use of the stock amp, and would this be advisable for my Kenwood HU (20W factory amp + 25W Kenwood HU for a total of 45W per channel)??? I have an old Kenwood 2 channel amp lying around (KAC 8200, 100W total I believe). Should I pickup another 100W 2-channel amp, or will it be next to impossible to effectively match the power outputs between the front and rear with 2 different amps? I'm not opposed to a new 4-channel amp, but I do have a budget.

I can't deal without a radio, so I'm probably going to the local audio shop tonight. Any suggestions would be geatly appreciated. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would look at a MP3 HU and skip the need for a changer.

Good luck.....

No other suggestions? C'mon guys, I need help. The last time I considered myself an "expert" on high end car audio equipment was in 1982 when I was still in high school. :confused:

Things have changed a bit. Throw me a bone!

Upgrades

Yes, component speakers would be a vast improvement over your Pioneer's. I had a pair myself for awhile...was not impressed with them either. Installation is not that difficult. Speaker Adapters are available to fit the 6.5 inch components into your doors. The part number for the adapters are: 82-5600, they are available here for you to research: www.installationproducts.com. Components come with a separate crossover that also needs to be mounted inside your doors or elsewhere in your X, also you will need to think about tweeter placement (these are pretty easy to install as well). Alpine, MB Quart and Polk are just a few that make some very nice components ranging from $150.00 - $200.00 per pair . The sound will be worth the money. Don't need a Sub? You might wish you had invested in at least an 8" or 10" Sub for those lower frequencies. No, I am not talking about those loud BOOMING Honda's running around, (vibrating every body panel...LOL), I am talking about a very "Pleasing to the ears kind of BASS". How about a powered Sub? Easy to install and hide without all that nerve racking pumping BASS. Just my thoughts.....Good luck:D

Rscotts1:

Thanks for the thoughts. Very helpful. You are right, I think of those vibrating Hondas when I think of subs. In retrospect, a small sub may not be a bad idea because I do like bass (provided I'm not rattling off body panels).

I'm also second thinking the Kenwood CD changer approach to match my old Kenwood HU. My old Kenwood HU is actually about 6 years old, not 3 like I originally posted. And while it has decent specs, I think I would also need an amp with it to make me happy (only pumps 15W x 4 @ 1% THD). I could probably be happy with one of these newer 220Watt HU's without the need for an amp.

This is becoming more difficult than I thought it would be. Indecisionry sucks!

As a high school graduate and an expert at getting top of the line equipment at rock bottom prices i would recommend you hit a decent flea market or stereo shop in the ghetto. You can get whatever you're looking for really cheap, and you can talk those guys down really quick. Boston acoustic makes bad ass component speakers too, but be prepared to drop the $$$$$$$ for them. They're a little harder to get a hold of.

I'm already working the flea market guys. Ebay's pricing is a bit better, but after shipping and the headache, who knows which is better.

I'm currently looking at the Alpine CDA-7894 HU, and Alpine SPR speakers.

I'm looking for feedback on which size speakers to get...5"x 7" or 6.5" with adapters? There are several people on this forum who have mentioned that the 6.5" speakers are better.

Ask Leenjen, he IS the local audio guru.

Good luck.......

get boston 3-way 6.5s
mine went in without an adapter
screw eBay the stuff at the flea market is easier to get and you can haggle with them. we knocked 80 dollars of a sony HU about a week ago.

Speaker upgarde

Depending on the year, your X may or may not need adapters to fit 6.5 components. My 2002 needs the adapters, but I will probably fabricate my own out of MDF and then cover door (inside and out with dynamat). I ordered 2 sets of the Alpine SPR-176A's. Cost is $175.00 per set.

Where do you guys get this MDF you keep talking about for use in fabricating adapters?

MDF

Any lumber yard, home depot or home improvement store.

OK, went to Home Depot today. They had MDF in many different thickmesses. To be honest, it looked to me like 1/4" would be sufficient, but they didn't have it that thin.

What thickness is preferred for use in making 6.5" templates?

Also, exactly how do you mount the adapters? I assume you mount them on the inside of the door, otherwise I would think the adapter and speaker would protrude too much into the plastic door panel right?

Speaker templates

What you need to do is, remove your door panels (one front & one rear), remove speaker from door, remove speaker grill and remount door panels. Take a tape measure/ruler and measure from door (metal part where speaker mounts) to inside of door panel. Next measure thickness of (new) speaker mounting ring, this measurement should give you a pretty close idea on how much room you have to play with between the actual door and door panel. 1/4" MDF sounds fine, just make sure that when you mount new speaker, the metal basket/frame does not touch/rub against metal part of door. Also leave yourself enough room for the speaker terminals/wiring. When you are ready to mount MDF adapter, just drill some holes through the wood (countersink them a little) and mark where you need to drill into door sheetmetal. Mount your speakers and put everything back together. Sometimes helps to improve the look a little by spray-painting the MDF adapter first before mounting.....you may be able to see this thing through the grill/grill-cloth. Good luck!

Thanks for the help! I picked up the Alpine CDA-7894 deck yesterday ($325 out the door at a local flea market). I am hoping to get the Alpine speakers tomorrow (components up front and coaxials in the rear doors). Then it's time to install this weekend. Tx again!

I just wanted to thank everyone for their help. I just picked up the Alpine speakers at the local flea market.

After some haggling, I think I did pretty good. Alpine 6.5" coaxials (SPR-174A) for $105 and Alpine 6.5" components (SPR-176A) for $145, out the door. Woohoo! Can't wait for the weekend to start the install!:D

Back