K&N Air Filter | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

K&N Air Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
You'd have to be a ********* to install any brand of oiled filter then have to continually clean it and the upstream sensors to keep everything working well. These vehicles just don't have an air filter box restriction where it would matter enough to bother.
You sound like you’ve never used one before, and think you know all about them!
Fact is, all your comments are incorrect!
The only way there could be a problem is if the filter was over-oiled. But, if you’re a car guy, you pay close attention to any aftermarket item installed on your car and then you’re able to reap the benefits!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

^ If you can smell the oil, particles are necessarily being released from the filter no matter how little you oiled it. The fewer particles that get released due to less oil the better, with best being not using an oiled filter.

^ If you can smell the oil, particles are necessarily being released from the filter no matter how little you oiled it. The fewer particles that get released due to less oil the better, with best being not using an oiled filter.
So, you know more about oiled filters than the K&N engineers?
Again, I don’t know where you get your information from, but myself and hundreds of others use and have used these filters for a long time without ANY problems!
Believe what YOU want, but past positive experiences with the product disproves any of your allegations.

Again, I don’t know where you get your information from, but myself and hundreds of others use and have used these filters for a long time without ANY problems!
Believe what YOU want, but past positive experiences with the product disproves any of your allegations.

I don't believe an actual engineer designed that product, if they did then they are not a very good one. It is a gimmick, buy no more filters with this oil based, metal framed restrictive filter. I had them new out of the box on early 90s cars bugger up the MAF with their oiled based filter system. A paper filter is thinner, cleaner and flows better than the K & N regardless of whatever the marketing says they do.

1) Of course they are going to promote their product.

2) It's the marketing department not engineers telling you how great they are.

3) Plenty of snake oil is pushed in the automotive aftermarket. Suppose someone sold a tub of lard to make your hardwood floor shiny, then stated don't use too much or it'll get slippery. It works! Your floor is now shiny! Suppose someone else comes along and states they do this and have never slipped and fell. Does that make it the better option? Do I need lard on my floor right now to know this?

I was going to try AEM Dry Flow on my 2.3. Used to have one on my Mazda and worked great as a filter.
I think I'm going to buy one to try, I like the idea that cleaning it is easier.

I don't believe an actual engineer designed that product, if they did then they are not a very good one. It is a gimmick, buy no more filters with this oil based, metal framed restrictive filter. I had them new out of the box on early 90s cars bugger up the MAF with their oiled based filter system. A paper filter is thinner, cleaner and flows better than the K & N regardless of whatever the marketing says they do.
Whatever!
You had a problem in the 90’s, this is 2021.
If there was a problem back then, it’s been corrected.
You think someone designed this product in their basement?
You probably don’t believe in the vaccine either!
Oh, well. Do and think what YOU want!
Enough said. Talking to people like you is like talking to a brick wall.

Whatever!
You had a problem in the 90’s, this is 2021.
If there was a problem back then, it’s been corrected.
You think someone designed this product in their basement?
You probably don’t believe in the vaccine either!
Oh, well. Do and think what YOU want!
Enough said. Talking to people like you is like talking to a brick wall.
My advice is to be skeptical of EVERYTHING and do your own research using multiple sources that are both pro and con to the subject. Following the herd means you have no idea where you are going and many times it is too late to change course when doing this is a mistake. Marketing hype is the least trustworthy information one can use to base a decision on whether it is regarding car parts, food, drugs, vaccines etc. I don't think using a K&N air filter will destroy your engine but also it won't remotely live up to the marketing hype from K&N. Especially regarding the horsepower claims.

My advice is to be skeptical of EVERYTHING and do your own research using multiple sources that are both pro and con to the subject. Following the herd means you have no idea where you are going and many times it is too late to change course when doing this is a mistake. Marketing hype is the least trustworthy information one can use to base a decision on whether it is regarding car parts, food, drugs, vaccines etc. I don't think using a K&N air filter will destroy your engine but also it won't remotely live up to the marketing hype from K&N. Especially regarding the horsepower claims.
Your key phrase to describe every fact you tried to disclaim is “I don’t think”!
I’m sorry, but when there’s overwhelming FACTS to substantiate any claim, that is the final decisive result.
Any further attempts at disproval is on a personal level.
These people are called nay-sayers, and don’t want to believe anything, allegedly for some type of person reason!
Do you believe the earth is round?

The earth is round on the edge...

flat-earth.jpg

I wonder if any of the major automakers have engineers.

It's definitely not some patent from K&N that prevents them from using oiled filters... too much prior art for a patent to be enforceable. I suppose it could be argued that they use paper because it's cheaper, but they wouldn't if they thought the warranty claim rate would go up, nor would they if they thought it reduced performance so decreased fuel economy, unless there was more benefit than detriment.

I bet it's because they do have engineers and test things like this.

I wonder if any of the major automakers have engineers.

It's definitely not some patent from K&N that prevents them from using oiled filters... too much prior art for a patent to be enforceable. I suppose it could be argued that they use paper because it's cheaper, but they wouldn't if they thought the warranty claim rate would go up, nor would they if they thought it reduced performance so decreased fuel economy.

I bet it's because they do have engineers and test things like this.
REALLY???
You wonder if automakers have engineers???
If not, who the hell do you think designs all the intricate systems in our cars?
YOU HAVE NOT IDEA WHAT YOU’RE TALKING ABOUT!

REALLY???
You wonder if automakers have engineers???
If not, who the hell do you think designs all the intricate systems in our cars?
YOU HAVE NOT IDEA WHAT YOU’RE TALKING ABOUT!
Woosh, right over your head that post flew. A K&N product developement team does not trump automakers and their engineering teams designing and testing engines, filters, and then picking non-oiled.

Woosh, right over your head that post flew. A K&N product developement team does not trump automakers and their engineering teams designing and testing engines, filters, and then picking non-oiled.
Oh, so you’re saying there’s a different type of engineer that designs air filters, as upposed to those that design autos?
FYI, they’re ALL Mechanical Engineers!
Again, do you dispute the sun rising, and the sun setting?

Oh, so you’re saying there’s a different type of engineer that designs air filters, as upposed to those that design autos?
And, ALL aftermarket auto parts are stringently tested before they’re put on the market.
Do you think K&N would sell a product that fouled up sensors, without thoroughly testing it? Answer is NO!

Your key phrase to describe every fact you tried to disclaim is “I don’t think”!
I’m sorry, but when there’s overwhelming FACTS to substantiate any claim, that is the final decisive result.
Any further attempts at disproval is on a personal level.
These people are called nay-sayers, and don’t want to believe anything, allegedly for some type of person reason!
Do you believe the earth is round?
I do think using the same K&N air filter for well over 20 years is worth something in regard to my opinion. There are plenty of dyno runs testing K&N's marketing department claims regarding their air filters' impact on horsepower numbers. The back to back dyno tests show these claims are bogus and go back decades consistently showing the same results. Believe the hype if you choose to but don't expect any real world miracles from using a K&N air filter. Also, asking dumb questions doesn't make you look witty. :rolleyes:

1) Of course they are going to promote their product.

2) It's the marketing department not engineers telling you how great they are.

3) Plenty of snake oil is pushed in the automotive aftermarket. Suppose someone sold a tub of lard to make your hardwood floor shiny, then stated don't use too much or it'll get slippery. It works! Your floor is now shiny! Suppose someone else comes along and states they do this and have never slipped and fell. Does that make it the better option? Do I need lard on my floor right now to know this?
All “I” know is, I’ve used them for years, don’t smell any oil, haven’t had any sensors oil fouled, have noticed a power increase, and am saving $$$, not having to buy regular filters!
More than enough evidence for me to use them (with confidence)👍

All “I” know is, I’ve used them for years, don’t smell any oil, haven’t had any sensors oil fouled, have noticed a power increase, and am saving $$$, not having to buy regular filters!
More than enough evidence for me to use them (with confidence)👍
Wow! You got something right!
Engineers design products, and marketing sells them!
When did you figure this out?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Please catch up. The automaker engineers know far better what filter to use on their vehicles, than K&N engineers.

I never made any mention of the sun nor does it have anything to do with the obviousness that auto manufacturer engineers, test their engines including the air filtration system they pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back