Not open for further replies.

Dale5403

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Mondovi, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
If anyone is thinking about a K&N air filter Amazon has PN 33-2395 on sale with a cleaning kit for 19.38. Amazon says it doesn't fit but it is the correct PN according to the K&N website.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IMO K&N air filters are a real pain to use and not that great at filtration. It is unlikely to provide any performance improvement and the reduced filtration can cause engine damage. I have to use one on my motorcycle because as the exhaust, intake, and carburetors are presently configured/tuned increased intake airflow is required for it to run right. I have to clean and oil it regularly and since the bike is used sparingly I'm not that worried about damage. I wouldn't put one in my automobiles.

IMO K&N air filters are a real pain to use and not that great at filtration. It is unlikely to provide any performance improvement and the reduced filtration can cause engine damage. I have to use one on my motorcycle because as the exhaust, intake, and carburetors are presently configured/tuned increased intake airflow is required for it to run right. I have to clean and oil it regularly and since the bike is used sparingly I'm not that worried about damage. I wouldn't put one in my automobiles.
I agree. K&N filters can coat the MAF sensor in oil and fine dirt. Especially if it is over oiled. IMO, the very slight horsepower gaines aren't worth the aggravation and potential MAF issues. If they aren't kept cleaned and oiled properly then their filtration ability is compromised.

I agree with the post above but I am not sure if the 2.3 liter is using a MAF or a MAP sensor.

I was going to try AEM Dry Flow on my 2.3. Used to have one on my Mazda and worked great as a filter.

Ummm... yeah I have been running them for more than a decade and have never had an issue. Have used them on cars, trucks, atvs, etc. and never had any problems. This includes our 2013, 2016 explorers and a SHO with 3.5EBs and 2020 Aviator. I also trust them onmy 2004 Mustang that I put a $15k long block in it and twin 67mm turbos.

As more MAF issues you can go watch videos where k&n takes MAFs and dips them in oil and it still doesn't cause them to fail. All filters let some dirt through. The only reason you notice it with a K&N is when people over oil them then it gets on then it causes the dirt that gets through the filter to get caught.

As for oil being bad Ford adds oil to some of their filters sooo...

Thanks for the notice on the discount now I can go get one for the new 2022 Aviator.

My advice is when you swap it out keep your factory one. Then you can use it for a day while you let your k&n dry after cleaning it.

Ummm... yeah I have been running them for more than a decade and have never had an issue. Have used them on cars, trucks, atvs, etc. and never had any problems. This includes our 2013, 2016 explorers and a SHO with 3.5EBs and 2020 Aviator. I also trust them onmy 2004 Mustang that I put a $15k long block in it and twin 67mm turbos.

As more MAF issues you can go watch videos where k&n takes MAFs and dips them in oil and it still doesn't cause them to fail. All filters let some dirt through. The only reason you notice it with a K&N is when people over oil them then it gets on then it causes the dirt that gets through the filter to get caught.
I have used a K&N air filter in my '89 Mustang for well over two decades. I have one on my 2007 Mustang due to the Steeda CAI it has installed. I know all about them from a maintenance, use issues and power delivery aspect. IMO, they are more of a pain to deal with than what they return in power increases. They do coat MAF elements and will not filter optimally if not maintained frequently. They don't cause MAFs to fail. They cause them to read improperly over time if not cleaned. People can use whatever filter they choose but oiled, cloth filters are more hype and a pain to maintain than they might be worth for many.
As for oil being bad Ford adds oil to some of their filters sooo...
Paper filters have so little oil, if any, that it is inconsequential regarding any effect on oil coating any component.

I have used a K&N air filter in my '89 Mustang for well over two decades. I have one on my 2007 Mustang due to the Steeda CAI it has installed. I know all about them from a maintenance, use issues and power delivery aspect. IMO, they are more of a pain to deal with than what they return in power increases. They do coat MAF elements and will not filter optimally if not maintained frequently. They don't cause MAFs to fail. They cause them to read improperly over time if not cleaned. People can use whatever filter they choose but oiled, cloth filters are more hype and a pain to maintain than they might be worth for many.

Paper filters have so little oil, if any, that it is inconsequential regarding any effect on oil coating any component.
I have never had MAF issues. But outside of any minimal power gains I have always seen a bump in MPGs especially when using them on an EB.

K & N filters a junk, have little to no benefit and I would not and do not run them on anything I own.

I have never had MAF issues. But outside of any minimal power gains I have always seen a bump in MPGs especially when using them on an EB.
Air filters have basically zero impact on mpg. The computer engine controls meter fuel based on how much air actually enters the engine. It will not inject too much fuel to cause a rich running condition that would change mpg. A dirty filter might cause power loss but not a drop in mpg.

If anyone is thinking about a K&N air filter Amazon has PN 33-2395 on sale with a cleaning kit for 19.38. Amazon says it doesn't fit but it is the correct PN according to the K&N website.
That’s a crazy price! I paid $50 for the ones I bought for my two cars, and am getting one for my Discovery Sport. Can’t find any kind of discount for this one, looks like another $50, but they’re well worth it!

That’s a crazy price! I paid $50 for the ones I bought for my two cars, and am getting one for my Discovery Sport. Can’t find any kind of discount for this one, looks like another $50, but they’re well worth it!
It is a deal so that's why i posted it. Just the cleaning kit is 17.00 on Amazon. Some people like them, (Me included) some don't. To each there own.

Air filter type is like talking about what brand of oil, synthetic or conventional, politics, etc. I have an oil type filter on everything I drive.

Been building and racing cars for 45+ years. Have never used anything but K&N air filters since they came out and have never had an issue with K&N filters. I wish I would have known that they were junk, dang it.

Been building and racing cars for 45+ years. Have never used anything but K&N air filters and have never had an issue with K&N filters. I wish I would have known that they were junk, dang it.
Me to. My last vehicle was an 01 Ranger. Ran a K&N Cold air intake for 19 years. Zero issues in all that time.

You'd have to be a ********* to install any brand of oiled filter then have to continually clean it and the upstream sensors to keep everything working well. These vehicles just don't have an air filter box restriction where it would matter enough to bother.

Been building and racing cars for 45+ years. Have never used anything but K&N air filters since they came out and have never had an issue with K&N filters. I wish I would have known that they were junk, dang it.
K&N filters are not junk. They just aren't all their marketing hype makes them out to be. Many people buy them and never realize they need frequent service to operate anywhere near as advertised. Then users will not service them properly and in many cases over oil them to the point it coats the MAF sensor with oil and dirt. I have used the same panel K&N filter in my '89 LX for over 20 years. The first few times I serviced it I over oiled the filter and it gummed up the MAF element to the point I ran a lean condition. I changed my service procedure to use less oil but the MAF will still gum up over time. They are economical to use in the long term but they aren't the end all and be all of air filters. There isn't all that much power to be gained from using one. Look at all the high horsepower cars being sold and you will find nearly all of them use paper air filters. They do this for a reason. K&N has had a great marketing department over the decades that has made their products be larger than life to many people.

You'd have to be a ********* to install any brand of oiled filter then have to continually clean it and the upstream sensors to keep everything working well. These vehicles just don't have an air filter box restriction where it would matter enough to bother.
I drove my van as a work vehicle, 500 to 800 miles a week and never cleaned the maf once in 4 years. Never had any issues.

^ or don't get the oiled filter and do absolutely noting to mitigate it ever. It makes no sense, is utter madness.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

K&N filters are not junk. They just aren't all their marketing hype makes them out to be. Many people buy them and never realize they need frequent service to operate anywhere near as advertised. Then users will not service them properly and in many cases over oil them to the point it coats the MAF sensor with oil and dirt. I have used the same panel K&N filter in my '89 LX for over 20 years. The first few times I serviced it I over oiled the filter and it gummed up the MAF element to the point I ran a lean condition. I changed my service procedure to use less oil but the MAF will still gum up over time. They are economical to use in the long term but they aren't the end all and be all of air filters. There isn't all that much power to be gained from using one. Look at all the high horsepower cars being sold and you will find nearly all of them use paper air filters. They do this for a reason. K&N has had a great marketing department over the decades that has made their products be larger than life to many people.
Exactly. The whole point is you buy it one time, clean it once in a while and spend your money on other cool stuff. Very small, if any HP gains. Who cares. I have never cleaned MAF sensor in the 10 years I have owned the car as I have never noticed any difference, year after year when I am flying 130 mph+ in to turn one on a road course. It takes a lot less time to clean, dry, and oil these filters then it does to waste time ordering and waiting for one or driving to get a new one.

82 'stang.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back