K&N high flow filter or Cold Air Intake? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

K&N high flow filter or Cold Air Intake?

96743explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Big Island, Hawaii
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 explorer V6 4x4
Is a CAI worth it or am I better off with a K&N drop in filter? (high flow filter?
Besides price what are the pros and cons performance wise?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would not run a K&N air filter on a road vehicle. I have seen allot of UOA's with high insoluble numbers that created elevated heavy metal numbers.

When I started driving (years ago) I put K&N in everything ( I bought the hype), I put one in a 2001 Cummins and Dodge would no longer honor the warranty on the engine, told me to do an oil analysis and it would prove there point. I did not do one on the diesel but I did on a v8 JEEP I had at the time, and it was VERY obvious what the K&N was doing to my oil......

I now use AMSOIL dry gauze filters, You could still do a CAI (if you must) but I would replace the cone filter with an AMSOIL filter.

How does it affect the oil?, in "layman" terms pls. Thakns

Part of the dust that the filter fails to hold it will end up in the oil.

Part of the dust that the filter fails to hold it will end up in the oil.

So that means the K&N product is inferior? you wouldn't know it by the reviews & the million mile warranty? I'm confused??

So by allowing more air flow the K&N filter is giving up protection for dust & particles?

I have a K&N in my 05' with no issues. I would not use it in dusty conditions however.

I have a K&N CAI. You won't get power that you will realize. Check there web site, even it says something like 7-9 hp. Strangely enough, I use both the K&N oil/gauze filter and an Amsoil dry filter. Better air flow means less restriction and thus lower engine pumping losses so more HP and MPG. This is usually at the expense of filtration unless the filter also has greater surface area, as with a cone filter vs stock panel type like the ones in our Explorers.

Oiled filters have the advantage of being reusable. That is, they get dirty just like any other filter but you clean them and re-oil them. Near good as new. You don't just drop them in and they're good for a million miles. They also have big holes for the air to go through so they offer much less restriction= more power. Good for racing but not so much for long term street use. Another down side, If you use too much oil (easy to do when cleaning and re-oiling them) you risk contaminating the MAF sensor on a fuel injected engine.

So why do I use one? I use the oiled filter, K&N, when off road on a very dusty surface. Why? I trade the slightly worse filtration for the ability to clean it on the go and drop it back in. Much cheaper then replacing a paper filter even more often. As for the Amsoil, best of both worlds. It too is cleanable/reusable. I just find it needs cleaning more frequently- it seems to trap stuff more on the surface than down inside like an oil filter and oil works pretty good at attracting small light pieces of earth.

Unless the small increase in power is worth the large price for a CAI you are left with something that fits the stock air box. That means paper or K&N drop-in oil filter as best I know. If that were my choice, I'd stick with a quality paper filter. If you have the option of a cone filter, by all means do that. It has a much larger surface area. Then I'd use the Amsoil for all but extremly special circumstances.

I had a K&N but recently replaced it with an Amsoil Ea air filter, just after 500 miles it starts to look a bit dirty contrary to K&N, after a couple of thousand miles you can see it "clean". As far as power I can feel the truck with more punch when accelerating at low rpms, better throttle response. At wide open throttle the K&N probably feels with more power but difficult to say without a dyno. As for fuel economy K&N beats the Amsoil by about 1 mpg. I vote for Amsoil, cleaner air, more power than paper filter and K&N where I do require (I don´t do WOT too often), fuel economy is in the middle. Like joecrna said, best of both worlds. I once had a Tacoma and I got a cold (hot) air intake and replaced the filter with an Amsoil Ea cone filter, saw an increase in performance over the oiled counterpart.

In a forum some time ago someone explained that the turbulence the air filter makes has an impact to the combustion process so you can have an air filter with more filtration efficiency that flows a bit less than other filter but yields more power because of the less or more turbulence it creates.

Amsoil filter will do justice in long run. As the K&N lets dirt into your intake it fills the intake with dirt and grease. Then people run seafoam through vacuum lines and it take this dirt and washes it down into your cylinders. Then it dries out your piston rings allowing the dirt and dry rings to score the cylinder walls...

Never use oil filters, hold on up to the sun and look at all the holes...

Never use seafoam. Its bad stuff in a can that rednecks love...

So just took a look at the Amsoil website, how do you find the part #(air filter) for your vehicle? and where is the best place to buy? from the website or online dealer? Thanks

Go to the Amsoil home page: Dead Link Removed

Choose your vehicle information on the left and you will get a list of all of their compatible products.

Thanks, I did that, and it only gave me the "fluids" and not the air filter? I have a 2013 Ford Explorer PI with the 3.7, should be the same as the 3.5l

Amsoil may not make a drop in panel shaped filter. They generally make cone shaped filters as are used with after market CAIs. K&N dooes make dropins for most vehicles. If you are fairly mechanical you might be able to adapt a cone to a factory cold air box.

If you are just looking for a dropin, I'd stick to a quality paper filter. The differences provided by just an air filter by its self would be minute anyhow. Possibly 1-2 HP best vs worst. As a rule of thumb, anything less then 15-20HP is not precievable by the seat of the pants and usually within the margin of error for a Dyno.

What's a good aftermarket "drop in" paper filter? Hastings? Thanks BTW

Actually one of the best "drop in replacements" are A/C DELCO filters (per ISO testing).
Most of the guys above explained the K&N hype pretty well. K&N advertisement hype is just that, and its based on a specific application or purpose (which is not "best filtration")

FWIW the AMSOIL P/N for a drop in is EAA484, I just ordered one for mine. I run EA filters in every vehicle I own and have one that is still cleaned with shop air after 50K MI, for a $20-$30 filter that pretty decent. I'm also the kind of guy that cleans my TB with every oil change and its associated sensors (in my JEEPS) and I noticed a great difference when switching to a dry filter.

Further more WIX makes an excellent filter as-well P/N 42484 for our trucks.

Actually one of the best "drop in replacements" are A/C DELCO filters (per ISO testing).
Most of the guys above explained the K&N hype pretty well. K&N advertisement hype is just that, and its based on a specific application or purpose (which is not "best filtration")

FWIW the AMSOIL P/N for a drop in is EAA484, I just ordered one for mine. I run EA filters in every vehicle I own and have one that is still cleaned with shop air after 50K MI, for a $20-$30 filter that pretty decent. I'm also the kind of guy that cleans my TB with every oil change and its associated sensors (in my JEEPS) and I noticed a great difference when switching to a dry filter.

Further more WIX makes an excellent filter as-well P/N 42484 for our trucks.

Amsoil EAA484 costs about $29.00, shipping included. it´s good for 4 years or 100,000 miles (whichever comes first), the only thing you have to do is clean it every year with a vacuum cleaner on the dirty side or with a low pressure air machine on the clean side. That is a good deal.

The thing with K&N type of filters is that they´re not as bad as a lot of people say they are or as good as K&N claim.

Where's the best price for the Amsoil product? online?

Where's the best price for the Amsoil product? online?

You purchase them at amsoil.com and depending on your location they have many dealers in all of USA. Anyone can become a dealer.
If you think you are going to buy a good volume you can pay 20 bucks per year and get 25% discount.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

FWIW the AMSOIL P/N for a drop in is EAA484,

So this is the air filter for a 2013 Explorer with the 3.5l? I have a 3.7l in my PI but it should be the same.

Back