K80's A4LD Rebuild Diary 2.0 part 1. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

K80's A4LD Rebuild Diary 2.0 part 1.

Ahhh....The solution is elementary, my dear Watson...
They may have taken it out of an '87, but this tranny is from an '89 3.0L originally.
Read your update book and the supplements.
Off the top of my head, the manual kickdown lever, number of steels in the coast clutch, presence of a top hat thrust washer, presence of a speed sensor bore in the extension housing, types of planetary carriers in both the OD and the intermediate drums and therefore the type of output shaft and input ring gear pilot and finally the width of the center support seals all go to show that this is an '89 tranny that was pulled out of an '87 van.
Not to mention, the makers of the video do not understand English too well, I don't think.

Anyway, all this is getting around to the point: there is a lockup solinoid because this is not an '87 tranny, it just came out of an '87 van.

I think.

One thing that is wise to do since the transmission is out is to replace the rear main engine seal. Here is a link from # 68 in my list of useful threads on making your own installation tool: Dead Link Removed. The tool set for the 3.0L engine is very expensive, and this is an alternative (especially if it's only going to be used one time).

Quite useful, thanks.
For all you folks who want me to send magnet links, don't worry, I haven't forgotten you.
Give me a few hours or maybe until tomorrow ....got some rather crucial negotiations concerning a recent project occupying my attention at the moment.

Back