Key Fob Not Working In Hot Weather! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Key Fob Not Working In Hot Weather!

barryexit

Reaction score
City, State
London, England
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 North Face
Hi everyone!

This is my first post here, though I have been a member for quite a while!

I wondered if anyone has ever had the same problem as me with the keyfob / remote central locking.
It seems that when the weather is cool, raining etc, my locks work perfectly with the keyfob. But when the car has been sitting in hot sunshine for a while, the keyfob just does not work! I have to open the door with the key, which sets off the alarm until I turn the key in the ignition. My neighbours are getting really angry with me this summer, as I keep waking them up in the mornings!!! Now I tend to leave the car unlocked, which is not a wise move when living in London.

I have replaced the batteries in the remote twice, and cleaned the grease etc. from the inside of the keyfob.

My vehicle is a Ford Explorer 4.0 SOHC, 2000 model.

Any help would be very much appreciated..... especially by my neighbours!

By the way, this has only started to happen over the past two summers, and I have owned the car for five years.

Many thanks in advance,

Barry.

I've never heard of hot weather causing a problem. It may be that during hot weather a nearby radio source is travelling further than usual and swamping the signal from the remote. The receiver is on the rear nearside just by the fuel filler. Try using the remote near there and see if it works. If it does then it is more likely radio interference that is your problem.

Hi Howard!

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have had the transmitter problems in the past, where it interferes with the locking system. It has happened usually where there's a phone mast of some kind. But I had never had the problem outside my house until last year. I have checked to see if there's any new phone masts gone up in the area, but there doesn't seem to be.

We took a trip to Woburn Safari Park yesterday. It was cloudy in the morning... the car unlocked with no problems. When we arrived in the car park at Woburn, it was raining... the car locked ok. When we came out, the sun had been blazing down for a few hours.... it didn't unlock! This really is a strange one!

I will try what you said in regards to using the keyfob by the fuel filler. I'm now just waiting for the sun to shine again!

Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again,

Barry.

Hi everyone!

This is my first post here, though I have been a member for quite a while!

I wondered if anyone has ever had the same problem as me with the keyfob / remote central locking.
It seems that when the weather is cool, raining etc, my locks work perfectly with the keyfob. But when the car has been sitting in hot sunshine for a while, the keyfob just does not work! I have to open the door with the key, which sets off the alarm until I turn the key in the ignition. My neighbours are getting really angry with me this summer, as I keep waking them up in the mornings!!! Now I tend to leave the car unlocked, which is not a wise move when living in London.

I have replaced the batteries in the remote twice, and cleaned the grease etc. from the inside of the keyfob.

My vehicle is a Ford Explorer 4.0 SOHC, 2000 model.

Any help would be very much appreciated..... especially by my neighbours!

By the way, this has only started to happen over the past two summers, and I have owned the car for five years.

Many thanks in advance,

Barry.

Hi Barry,

Many years later but same problem with 2015 Ford Edge .. did you get a solution?

Back