Key Fob Range | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Key Fob Range

I don't have remote start on my key-fob, but mine works from almost a 100 yds, and even around corners. It's almost too far...well ok, not really.

I'm sure the specs for your remote start a less, but not 20'.

I'd call the dealer and have them check into it before you drive over there to have them tell you "it's normal".

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

onaropus, we just took delivery of our 2013, so we'll run a few tests and let you know :)

Vince, thanks. Let me know if you get time to test... it's kind of frustrating when I have to be less than two parking spots away before I can use the remote start... kind of defeats the purpose.

UPDATE:

Okay, so we were able to put some distance between us and the car this weekend. We were able to go somewhere around 200+ feet and the car would not only lock, but the remote start worked like a charm. It was a pretty straight shot, with only a bunch of sailboat masts between us. The car was also about 20' higher in elevation. Next week, I'll go even farther to test. I can realistically put 400 to 500 feet between us and the car to run the test, any farther than that, and I will be swimming, lol :)

I would definitely say you have something wrong with the system, and a dealer visit is in order. Keep us posted...

I have read a couple of the remote start threads also trying to see what the distance is supposed to be on them, I am not really sure what model I have...it was not included in our vehicle price (and I ended up getting it free after we were told they could get the remote start and navigation set up for us, well then the navigation fell through and they never could get it set up so we they gave us the money for both back). They never told us there were any options. (I would have picked the one with the furthest distance!!) Mine looks like this
http://www.carandtruckremotes.com/2..._medium=shopping+engine&utm_campaign=shopping

rather than the ones shown in this thread
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=333902&highlight=remote+start

I wasnt sure if the pics on fords website were not up to date or what...I am just trying to figure out how far mine should work from. I know the Bi-Directional one says that it does the automatic heat/air based on temp...I know in my left dash menu under remote start I can change the settings to "auto" or "last setting" if that helps at all...anyways, I have not been able to get it to work from my office (I do work in the basement of the building, but it is in the front of the building where the parking lot is) I wasn't sure how much walls interfere with the distance...any help/opinions would be great! Thanks!!

Are you having this issue no matter where your Explorer is parked? I ask because a store and one school near my home limit my remote start signal. And worst part, it was intermediate. I have stock remote start for the Limited Explorer, and an aftermarket remote start for my Subaru. At home and at work, I get about 400 feet of range for the Explorer and 2500 feet for the Autopage (their top of the line model). However, if I am at Target or the elementary school two blocks away from my home, I am limited to 20-30 feet for the Explorer and sometimes my Autopage won't work at all, even to unlock the doors. Talking with my sister and her husband (both EE's) and some other nerd friends of mine (I say that with love and consider myself one as well) it has been uncovered that the surveillance and alarm system used at the shopping store interferes with the remote start signals. Auto dealership said they get complaints all the time from customers of the key fobs not working, and it always seems to be when they are at this store. And at the local school, they have a cell phone jammer which they use during certain hours of the day to prevent students from texting and making calls. Both those systems cause issues with my remote start systems.

I have a new (1200K miles) 2013 Limited with the remote start key fob and over the last week I noticed the distance that both key fobs will work from seems to be really short. I need to be less that 20 feet away from the vehicle. This is happening with both remotes and after a battery change in the remote. I understand it is variable with conditions but what is normally the farthest away I should expect it to work from?
1200K miles?? That is 1,200,000 miles if my math is correct.:D
I just did a quick test and was able to start it from at least 200 feet while it was parked in my garage. I didn't want to go any further because I was already in my neighbour's backyard.:)
This was using the same remote I have used for the past 13.5 months and the battery has not been changed yet.

Peter

Key fob distance

Does anyone know the expected distance for the key fob to work? I need to be within 20 feet for it to work, which is pointless for the remote start option. Dealer says this is normal. My other car has much better range.

The other thread says it all :)

My fob has major problems when I have my cellphone (iphone4) in the same pocket.
So, I don't keep them in the same pocket!

Does anyone know the expected distance for the key fob to work? I need to be within 20 feet for it to work, which is pointless for the remote start option. Dealer says this is normal. My other car has much better range.
I was able to remote start mine from over 175'. In order to do the remote start you first have to hit the "lock" button so that worked from that distance as well. I haven't tried it from a further dstance yet but I believe others have. There have been several posts on this.

Peter

This weekend I was walking towards the EX and kept trying to get the remote start to work, the door lock function (nessessary to press lock before the remote start will work) wouldn't respond until I was literaly 5 feet from the rear bumper.

This weekend I was walking towards the EX and kept trying to get the remote start to work, the door lock function (nessessary to press lock before the remote start will work) wouldn't respond until I was literaly 5 feet from the rear bumper.
There is definitely something wrong. When I stated I could do it from 175', the Explorer was parked in the garage (door open) at the time, nose first.
Have you tried both fobs?

Peter

Tried both FOBs and tried new batteries... I wonder where the antenna is for the receiver.

Tried both FOBs and tried new batteries... I wonder where the antenna is for the receiver.
Now that is a question I do not have an answer for.
I assume that it has this very short range at all times, regardless of where you are parked?

Peter

That's not right; I can start my car from inside the back of my brick house from the kitchen on the upper level in the rear. I was impressed. Maybe your FOB batteries are no good.

I was able to remote start mine from over 175'. In order to do the remote start you first have to hit the "lock" button so that worked from that distance as well. I haven't tried it from a further dstance yet but I believe others have. There have been several posts on this.

Peter

Correct me if I'm wrong but I do believe the remote start fob automatically locks the X prior to starting. I'll test this tomorrow and report back.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I do believe the remote start fob automatically locks the X prior to starting. I'll test this tomorrow and report back.

The remote start I have you have to hit the lock button and then the remote start button twice. Mine is not the push button, it is the one that is just attached to the key.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a separate fob for mine, it's the extended range ford model, so that may be why it locks automagically.

Back