• Register Today It's free!

Key Fob Range

2FST4U

Reaction score
City, State
Northeast Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited
Has anyone else noticed or have the problem that the keyfob range is really poor or does not work? When returning to my vehicle after going into a store, it does not seem like it works at all to unlock the doors until I'm right next to the door. I noticed today that when leaving the car, it would still work at 100'+. Anyone else having this problem? It happens with both remotes.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you hold the remote up to your head, the range will be increased by 2 fold.

Mine seems to have much better range than what I got on my Escape.

I noticed that with our Focus, there are certain areas where the range is decreased. My guess is that there is something electronic interfering with the signal, like a security system or a wireless system of some sort. At one mall, I have to be right next to the vehicle for it to work.

I don't think it's a problem with your remote, just interference with the signal.

Explorers that also have the factory remote start feature (only Limiteds?) have enhanced remote range.

On my former Highlander, when you walked up to it, the puddle lamps and interior lights came on before I actually grabbed the door handle to unlock it. Does anyone know if the Ex can be set up the same way? I have read through the manual but may have missed it. It seems you physically have to grab the handle before the above happens.

Today while at my in-laws, I was able to remote start the Ex from inside their house (25 yards away). Go figure. I hate problems that are intermittent...there's no way to show/prove it to the dealer!

Has anyone else noticed or have the problem that the keyfob range is really poor or does not work? When returning to my vehicle after going into a store, it does not seem like it works at all to unlock the doors until I'm right next to the door. I noticed today that when leaving the car, it would still work at 100'+. Anyone else having this problem? It happens with both remotes.
I can see this was posted last month, but I wanted to check in to see if the range with your key fob improved or if it’s still not reaching as far as you’d like. If you are still experiencing an issue, please send me a PM with your VIN, dealer name, and approximate mileage.

Cory

So frustrating. I sware this thing only works 1 out of 10 times and the dealer could not replicate. Ford Motor Company called me this morning and can't help me. It did not work one time today with 5 different attempts. It seems to happen when I leave the car for more than 60 minutes. Like something resets and no longer lets the keyfob be recognized.

Wifi was carry the fob next to her cell and it would not work at all.

Jack

I suggest adding the required module so you can use your smart phone to remote start the vehicle. It works great on my 2007 Navigator and will be installing it on my 2011 Ex when it comes in. Your range then becomes unlimited, even start it up from across the country. Viper, Directed Electronics, and Drone Mobile are available as stand-alone installs or as an add-on to your existing system.

I suggest adding the required module so you can use your smart phone to remote start the vehicle. It works great on my 2007 Navigator and will be installing it on my 2011 Ex when it comes in. Your range then becomes unlimited, even start it up from across the country. Viper, Directed Electronics, and Drone Mobile are available as stand-alone installs or as an add-on to your existing system.

And what is the name of the module that you have and where can it be purchased?

Jack

It's called an interface module, which interfaces with your current remote starter so you can start the vehicle from your phone. Check out Viper, Directed Electronics, and Drone Mobile web sites. You'll find all the information there for each of them including installers in your area.

Audiovox makes one also called CarLink that I've seen in a few dealerships.

Thanks for the information, but I'd much rather the item I paid for from Ford actually work the way it was intended.

Try the obvious fix... fresh batteries. My FOB works great, every time, and at distances of at least 50'. As was stated earlier in the thread, ex's with push button starts have greater distance than those without.

I hear ya buddy. The best to do then is first install brand new batteries, then drive out to the country somewhere away from the city where there's no traffic, buildings, overhead powerlines, radio signals, etc. See if it works better and if your range improves. Many of the factory and aftermarket remote systems are very susceptible to electrical interference such as radio frequencies, magnetic field impulses, microwave transmissions(cell phones), building interferences, etc. If the remotes work better and with more range then that's the problem and you just have to live with it. The dealer will probably tell you the same thing. If it doesn't show any improvement then it's probably a problem with either the transmitters or the receiver or the placement of where the antenna wire is located in the vehicle. Sometimes when there's so much interference you can actually be inside the vehicle and the remote won't work. All of these remotes are nothing but minature radios and anything can interfere with it's performance.

Very interested in getting one these installed.

Which one did you use on your 2007 Navigator?

Do you know if they are all pretty much comparable?

Viper Smartstart or Directed Electronics are the same.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Key FOB distance

I have a new (1200K miles) 2013 Limited with the remote start key fob and over the last week I noticed the distance that both key fobs will work from seems to be really short. I need to be less that 20 feet away from the vehicle. This is happening with both remotes and after a battery change in the remote. I understand it is variable with conditions but what is normally the farthest away I should expect it to work from?

Back