Keyless double take | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Keyless double take

mcgilmore

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 limited
The keyless entry keypad on my 2013 needs to be run twice before the doors unlock. I tried slowing down and deliberately making sure I strike each key. It never opens on the first attempt. I run down the pad to turn on the #s and then enter the code, it always takes two times. Maybe this should be in IVT, but I was hoping the higher traffic here might turn out better.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The keyless entry keypad on my 2013 needs to be run twice before the doors unlock. I tried slowing down and deliberately making sure I strike each key. It never opens on the first attempt. I run down the pad to turn on the #s and then enter the code, it always takes two times. Maybe this should be in IVT, but I was hoping the higher traffic here might turn out better.
You are in the correct forum. There are several threads on 'keyless' entry but none describe the issue that you have.
You can use the 'Search' function if you wish to find them.
It is strange that you have to enter it twice. You are obviously using the correct code since it does unlock the second time. It's something you could bring to the dealer's attention the next time you go there. I'm assuming you have an XLT.

To address future concerns it would help if you entered your model and year in your profile so that it will appear in the left margin where your name show.
Some issues are model specific.

Peter

I never have to run my finger down to turn on the keys. I either tap the pad once to light up the keys, wait a second, and then enter the code. Or, I just start taping in the code if I can see the numbers on the pad clearly.

Don't run your finger down it. The first key press should be on the number you want to enter first. If you can't see the numbers, press any number to light up the keypad, then wait a few seconds, then enter your number.

Interesting. Mine does the same thing! I thought it was a fluke!

I always swipe down first and then enter my code. it has worked for me every single time. in fact, the Ford commercials have shown the person swiping to light up the keypad first.

Hit the first #and the rest without lighting up the pad first and it opened on the first time. Guess I need to retrain myself. Thanks for the help

This has happened to me too before. Like if I leave my keys in the house or on my desk at work and just need to put something in/get something out of my Ex, most of the time I have to enter the # in 2x. This is pretty few and far between though that I have to enter via keypad since my Ex has the proximity lock/unlock

Most of the time when I go to use mine it just blinks at me. Never had the time to take it in though

haha, I do this in my sport all the time. :)

I always lock the keys in the car because I hate carrying them around and I always get a little uneasy when it doesn't work the first time. Every now and then it will work on the first time but usually it takes 2 or 3 before doing anything.

Hi everyone.

If you're experiencing difficulties with your keypad, I recommend taking your Explorer to your dealer to have them diagnose this concern. In the meantime, please PM me your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info. I'll see how I can assist.

Ashley

Do a Master Reset on your MFT system to fix this

This problem is another variation of an intermittent problem I had when the key fobs would inconsistently work / not work to Unlock the car. I discovered, by accident, that when I performed a Master Reset on the MyFord Touch system, it cleared up my keyless entry problem -- meaning first attempt to Unlock the car from that point on (point of the MFT reset on) worked consistently afterwards.

My case got escalated up to a point where someone from Ford Customer Service called me to get more details on my issue, and then called me again a few days later to confirm that there was some "potential strange interraction" between the MFT and keyless entry systems that they were trying to get to the bottom of, that was reported by "just a handful" of customers. This was back in April/May, and I haven't heard back since.

I would try the Master Reset first, especially if the issue is not 100% consistent.

See the full thread at: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=385612

Back