clickclack

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 LTD Explorer
i've searched the forum and manual.
Still don't know how to use the door keyless entry code

i was given a plastic baggie with couple 4 number codes with stating this was the factory code to get into the ex.
however I know from the forum its a 5 digit code that I need.
Can anyone help what I should be looking for or asking for from the dealer.

Please how do you use the keypad, with the numbers with 2 numbers on each button. Probably an easy answer but, how the 2nd number on the button do I price twice or does it count for 1 and 2 when you press it once?

any help would be appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The keyless code should have been on a credit card type card and it is a 5 digit code. It says "This card contains you permanent keyless entry code, etc.". The 1-2, 3-4, etc. don't need to be pushed once for a 1 or twice for a 2. If your code was 1-2-1-2-1 you would just press the top button 5 times. Does that make sense? Look in the owner's manual and you can reprogram it to whatever you want.

I have never understood why the number pad even has two digits per button. If you can't specify if the 1-2 button is a 1 or a 2, what is the advantage to having two digits on it.

So, 1-2-1-1-1 is the same as 2-1-1-1-1, as 2-2-2-1-1, as 2-1-1-2-1.... and so on. Four distinct codes, but exactly the same in the long run.

Am I missing something?

I have never understood why the number pad even has two digits per button. If you can't specify if the 1-2 button is a 1 or a 2, what is the advantage to having two digits on it.

So, 1-2-1-1-1 is the same as 2-1-1-1-1, as 2-2-2-1-1, as 2-1-1-2-1.... and so on. Four distinct codes, but exactly the same in the long run.

Am I missing something?

No you aren't. That's why you should use as many different numbers as possible on this, to make it more secure.

Am I missing something?

Would you rather have 10 separate buttons? Ford's keypads have been like this since the late 80's/early 90's.

What's confusing to me is there is a screen on the MFT that talks about entering this code into the MFT to manage your door codes but the master code that the dealer gave us doesn't work on that. Apparently MFT isn't actually communicating to this yet even though its in the software.

The keyless code should have been on a credit card type card and it is a 5 digit code. It says "This card contains you permanent keyless entry code, etc.". The 1-2, 3-4, etc. don't need to be pushed once for a 1 or twice for a 2. If your code was 1-2-1-2-1 you would just press the top button 5 times. Does that make sense? Look in the owner's manual and you can reprogram it to whatever you want.
thanks the piece of plastic that had numbers on it probably held the fobs, i found the business card with the code in a sleeve on that back of the manual package.
thanks

The Master Code never goes away. If you make up your own code for ease of remembering, you can still use the Master Code as well. I've used the same made-up code for the last three Explorers.

i've searched the forum and manual.
Still don't know how to use the door keyless entry code

i was given a plastic baggie with couple 4 number codes with stating this was the factory code to get into the ex.
however I know from the forum its a 5 digit code that I need.
Can anyone help what I should be looking for or asking for from the dealer.

Please how do you use the keypad, with the numbers with 2 numbers on each button. Probably an easy answer but, how the 2nd number on the button do I price twice or does it count for 1 and 2 when you press it once?

any help would be appreciated
On mine, the number can also be found under the dash on the driver's side. It shows the number and bar code to the left of the steering column and just above a large white connector plug.

Would you rather have 10 separate buttons? Ford's keypads have been like this since the late 80's/early 90's.

As a matter of fact, I would! :p:

Since the 80's and 90's... hmmm... so we have decades of nonsense. Great. :D

Seriously though, why not just put 1-5 on it? Having the dual numbers on each button would imply functionality and security that the system just doesn't have.

Seems pointless to me, though I do like the overall concept of not being locked out of my car.

...i found the business card with the code in a sleeve on that back of the manual package...
It’s great you found the card with your code, clickclack. The keyless entry really comes in handy! :)

What's confusing to me is there is a screen on the MFT that talks about entering this code into the MFT to manage your door codes but the master code that the dealer gave us doesn't work on that...
stripesace,

Here’s what it mentions in the MyFord Touch/MyLincoln Touch Supplement 3rd Printing on page 58:

“Changing your door keypad code (if equipped)
To change the keypad code for your keyless entry keypad system:
1. Press Menu > Vehicle > Edit door keypad code.
2. Enter your current factory code and, when prompted, enter the new code you would like.”

You can download a free digital copy of your supplement by going to the URL: http://Owner.Ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/OwnerGuidePage and selecting your vehicle from the drop down boxes. :)

Are you sure you’re using the correct factory code?

Cory

As a matter of fact, I would! :p:

Since the 80's and 90's... hmmm... so we have decades of nonsense. Great. :D

Seriously though, why not just put 1-5 on it? Having the dual numbers on each button would imply functionality and security that the system just doesn't have.

Seems pointless to me, though I do like the overall concept of not being locked out of my car.

If your favorite or easy to remember number is 6129 for example you couldn't use it. I think that's another reason for dual numbers per button. To make more user friendly.
As for security, 5 numbers = how many combinations? Any math wiz's out there???

3125 combinations, right? 5 to the 5th power.

5*4*3*2=120 ways

or 5! (5 factorial).

Explanation,

n objects can be arranged in n(n - 1)(n - 2) ... (3)(2)(1) ways. This product is represented by the symbol n!, which is called n factorial. By convention, 0! = 1. Thus, 0! = 1; 2! = (2)(1) = 2; 3! = (3)(2)(1) = 6; 4! = (4)(3)(2)(1) = 24; 5! = (5)(4)(3)(2)(1) = 120.

5*4*3*2=120 ways

or 5! (5 factorial).

Explanation,

n objects can be arranged in n(n - 1)(n - 2) ... (3)(2)(1) ways. This product is represented by the symbol n!, which is called n factorial. By convention, 0! = 1. Thus, 0! = 1; 2! = (2)(1) = 2; 3! = (3)(2)(1) = 6; 4! = (4)(3)(2)(1) = 24; 5! = (5)(4)(3)(2)(1) = 120.

I got a headache! Actually, after sloooowly and with great concentration reading it over and over I get it! LOL It's really quite simple.
So if I got this right, a number such 55555= 3125, as VinceL stated, assuming you reuse numbers.
So their are 3125 combos for touch pad.
Thanks chimoman

I put a zero (0) before my favorite 4 digit number. Older Fords used a 4 digit number code. BTW I rarely use the door codes.

Even a little earlier. My mom's 85 Lincoln Continental had the same exact keyless system. I remembered her code and made mine the same. Unfortunately, pressing 5/6 doesn't pop my trunk like it did on hers.

Back