• Register Today It's free!

kkm- not street legal?

paul_c_nicols

Reaction score
City, State
Nashua, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
I'd like to buy either the K&N kit or the KKM TRUE-REV SPORT INDUCTION KIT. is it true that the KKM is not street legal? what do you have to do, take it out each year come inspection time? what about the K&N? can i just leave it in. from the posts i have read nothing has been said about a big difference in performance between the two. however, not having to remove it each year may justify the added cost of the K&N. Any thoughts out there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if it matters to answer my post, my engine is the 5.0

Im in cali but what i did was leave the bottom of the air box in and removed the top. The KKM is a easy install. I did it at lunch time with a shirt and tie. When its time for inspection ill swap the top part of the box back in. Not big deal for me. I think the reason the K&N or Volant cost more is cause they are certified. Not that much of a difference between them all ya know.

Hope that helps

i guess it really depends where you live and get your truck inspected. i live near philly and we have pretty strict emissions testing, but my truck passes with flying colors with my KKM on there. i think the controversy is that the KKM is not CARB certified, which, i think, only affects CA, but im only like 85% sure on that one.

i live in cali and have the kkm. i only have to get my truck smogged every two years and it only takes 15 minutes to install and uninstall.

Im just wondering why it is illegal. Does anyone know? Beforereading this I had not known that. And does anyone know if it is illegal in Canada? thanks

I have the same question. My friends and I were thinking about it, what would make the intake illegal? Is it proportional, like the more air you take in the more crap you kick out? It doesn't seem like it should be, but that's what it kinda looks like.

im pretty sure that the only reason that its illegal, is that KKM hasent paid the BIG BUCKS to get it carb certified or somthing like that. basically it like the K&N, but K&N paid for the CARB certification- therfore its a lot more expensive then KKM, because getting it certified costs a lot of $$. if anyone who REALLY knows what their talking about could back me up itd be appreciated. but i hope i helped ya out a lil

do you remove any tubes or sensors upon installation of this kit? If so then that is why. The K&N drop in only replaces the filter element itself

You can buy a CARB certification?!?! Man, the whole world's corrupt.

its not that you can buy the actual certification. but if you want it certified, the process costs a lot of money. i rememver reading about this along time ago, do a search on kkm and im sure youll find what your looking for.

PS- i could bo totally wrong about the CARB thing but i remember that K&N is more expensive cuz they paid to have it legalized. KKM hasent. therefore:

KKM=cheap
K&N=not as cheap

Ahh. OK. Now I see where you're going with this.

What happens if you try to take the emissions test with the kit on and you fail? Can you just go home take it off and come back? Or do they like impound it? Or what?

i think that most people out here in cali, just switch up their airfilters with the stock one for the emissions test since its a simple install that only takes about 10-15 mins.

But what about all us lazy people in Georgia who want to test it? I seriously have no problem with testing it, but if I test it and they take my intake away, I'll be upset.

i dont know what the laws are out there in georgia, but i have heard of people saying that they just left the KKM in and passed the test with flying colors. they just slaped the airbox back on and they were never bothered. but i dont know how strict the test it out in georgia.

DO they even check under the hood? All they did for me (and they were REALLY dumb there) was stick it on a dyno and speed it up to 40 MPH. It passed and i was done.

I almost was not going ot get tested, because they were convinced it was a full-time 4WD vehicle...i kept telling them it was in 2WD mode, but they would not listen.....finally after 10 minuts they figured out it was in fact only rear wheel drive. i should have just agreed and told them it was full-time 4WD so I wouldn;t have to get it tested ever again :).

if they do find out you have it, im sure they wont take it away...if at anything, a repair ticket maybe.(?)

Originally posted by 95XLT
DO they even check under the hood? All they did for me (and they were REALLY dumb there) was stick it on a dyno and speed it up to 40 MPH. It passed and i was done.

I almost was not going ot get tested, because they were convinced it was a full-time 4WD vehicle...i kept telling them it was in 2WD mode, but they would not listen.....finally after 10 minuts they figured out it was in fact only rear wheel drive. i should have just agreed and told them it was full-time 4WD so I wouldn;t have to get it tested ever again :).

If your laws are like Arizonas then you would still have to pass the visual inspection test, the idle test and the gas tank sniffer thingie. I have to have my control trac Explorer tested every year instead of every two years that the 2WD vehicles get. The only thing I don't have to do is the driving emission test.

The way i see it in CA is the visual inspection is first. If there is something missing or modified (judgemental) then it fails the visual and usually they wont go any further.

Once my timing was advanced by 3 degrees on another car I have, they continued with the test and it passed with flying colors (per the numbers) but they failed it because the timing was advanced. I compared the numbers after the timing was adjusted (extra $25 - they wouldn't let me touch it) and the amount of CO went up. I beleive the HC did go down slightly. Go figure.

Oh one other thing, if the vehicle fails the visual inspection, you still pay for the test and then when you fix the visual by putting parts back, you pay for the test again. Knowing it's modified and able to put it back is cheaper. For now I'll stick with the K&N drop-in.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you have to PAY for your tests?!

Back