Knocking/vibrating noise from Blower motor | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Knocking/vibrating noise from Blower motor

1992explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Lantana, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
1992 Explorer

I have been hearing a knocking/vibrating noise coming from my blower motor. When my ac/vent fan is on low it is not so bad, but it gets progressivly worse the higher the fan is. I thought there may be somthing caught in the fan so I removed it to see. I didn't really see anything. I turned the car on with the fan out and I did not hear the noise. But when I had but the fan back in, the noise came back.

Any thoughts on what could be going on? Should I remove the fan again and be more thorough?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1992explorer said:
1992 Explorer

I have been hearing a knocking/vibrating noise coming from my blower motor. When my ac/vent fan is on low it is not so bad, but it gets progressivly worse the higher the fan is. I thought there may be somthing caught in the fan so I removed it to see. I didn't really see anything. I turned the car on with the fan out and I did not hear the noise. But when I had but the fan back in, the noise came back.

Any thoughts on what could be going on? Should I remove the fan again and be more thorough?

Thanks

Yep, mind did the same thing. The bearings start to wear giving the shaft in and out play. It's not enough that you would think it could make much noise, but it is. I tried oiling it, tightening the squirrel cage, everything. Finally gave in, spent $40 and bought a new blower motor. Took less than 30 mins to install. Now the blower runs nice and quiet. Good luck...

KC

EZ to replace....and sounds like its gone....

d-1

mine just started doing that today... i own two aerostars.. one good the other ehhh dead(actually not dead but tranny is and not worth the cash replacing it) SO question is.. could i use the fan out of the aerostar??? :D

Thanks for the help. It was just a bad motor. I picked up a new one at Advance and popped it in. It was pretty simple. The air filter box got in the way, but I worked around it.

Back