• Register Today It's free!

Lagging feeling and weird smell

Andy96XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Branchburg NJ, Bethlehem PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
Today I went to take my explorer to work and when I got on the highway I immediately felt a lagging feeling. I couldn't completely put my finger on it but something was not right. a few seconds later the check engine light started flashing. I turned around and drove home, opened the hood and didn't see anything special. I did however smell something coming from under the front seats. It kinda smelt like burning but again I couldn't put my finger on it. I pulled the code and I got a misfire on 3 but nothing else. I have had a misfire before and I know what that feels like and its not this. Any ideas what it could be? I thought maybe the cats. Any info would be appreciated.

I took the car out again around the block and the car shakes like if there is a misfire when the car is in drive or reverse but not if the car is in park or neutral. Also there is definitely a smell of some sort. Transmission??

Well I just went out and got a new plug and replaced it and the misfire is gone completely and when I took the car out for a test drive the lagging feeling was completely gone and there was no longer a smell... I guess the smell was just the unburnt fuel hitting the cats but it didn't destroy them. Or so it seems right now. hopefully everything will continue to work out

Back