LD50 1st gen Rusty rocker panel bodywork - rockerpanel replacement | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LD50 1st gen Rusty rocker panel bodywork - rockerpanel replacement

Hello fellow explorer enthusiasts!

Got some questions asked while doing my driver`s side rocker panel repair so I decided to write-up the other side. Hope I can help anyone out..

FIRST:

-Disconnect your battery, do not do any welding with your battery connected. Yes you might get away with it, but some components in your electrical system can be damaged by welding voltages. (plus you avoid any battery drain) Some people also disconnect their ECU and Alternator, I have never done this myself and have done quite a bit of welding on the Ex (You make the call)
-Take your doors off, they need to be well out of the way.
-Remove the trim from the lower areas of your door openings and pull the door seals out of the way
-Get some poly (plastic sheet) or your interior will get dirty. Tuck it in your trim where ya can, tape it in, whatever you decide is best.
-Throw a tarp at least over your front window to avoid getting sparks burns on it!

If you got your mojo goin` and you are following along, about an hour has passed and you should now see something like this in your garage:

doors off plastic on.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Everything has got a coat of hippo-liner now, and I`m in the midst of getting stuff back together, and clean.

Attachments

• hippoliner.JPG
    hippoliner.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 4,909

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

wow..thts an awesome thread..someone just referred me to it..great job man

Thanks for putting this together, and with great detail on not only the "How To," but the "What to do, What not to do!"

I've been putting off doing this, but after reading this thread I'm going to try to get it done soon. Then finish my rock sliders.

Thanks guys, I try to put in what I would want to know. The little details are sometimes missed when people doing write-ups are caught up in the project, and sometimes it`s those little insights we look for.

When I finally get my SAS project done and I wash the Ex and get it out in the sun I`ll post another couple pics of the rockers with the proper perspective.

-cheers.

I was hit in the door and may need to redo mine because of it. This makes it seem very possible now. Thanks for the great level of detail.

Thanks For The Instructions & Great Job

Thanks and your welcome, well she turned out well, now I`m breaking stuff but I look good doing it anyway!

flexramp 2.JPG

......body work....etc.

Thanks and your welcome, well she turned out well, now I`m breaking stuff but I look good doing it anyway!

Looks like you spent lots of time in your endeavor for rusty panels repair, it also looks real good mate :thumbsup: :) :exp:

Xtremely nice job and the illustrations really help out alot. I hope i could do as good of a job. Thanks for the post

Was checking out your work by the way... Great job! Made a little discovery. Your garage haunted??

primer1.jpg

ghost.jpg

use the other pic as ref for what I am talking about. Seems to make a pretty clear face.

Hah!, that's why you should never trust a ghost picture. I think that is some plastic balled up over there anyway, with dust floaties. All can be explained. (but to be unexplainable is sometimes an ok explanation..)

Hah!, that's why you should never trust a ghost picture. I think that is some plastic balled up over there anyway, with dust floaties. All can be explained. (but to be unexplainable is sometimes an ok explanation..)

Exactly, Anyways great write up man!!

Good to see this thread stickied and still resurrected.

Is that an air cutoff wheel, or is it electric? What cutter would you recommend for this type of job? All I've got right now is a dremel.

It looks like he's using an air powered die grinder. If all you have is a dremel, I would think about investing in a compressor and some air tools before undertaking body work this extensive. This is NOT a minor repair done with simple hand tools. Not a hard job, but the right tools will make it a heck of a lot easier. A decent grinder, an air chisel, die grinder, and a welder would be a good start. Then you have to get into your basic body tools. A good hammer/dolly is essential if you're worried about everything fitting perfectly. Sanding equipment and some painting knowledge...

That all being said, the answer to your question is a good air die grinder with a 2.5" cut-off wheel work great for trimming sheet metal.

I did all my cutting with an electric angle grinder with "zip disks". I used an air die grinder/dremel with a buffer attachment to buff tight spots.

Use what you are comfortable with. Angle grinders are great because you can buff, grind, and cut with them. They are less maneuverable than a die grinder with a smaller cutting wheel, but with a steady hand you can make some nice cuts. Also, if you use zip disks you can save worn down disks to use for tight cuts later.

Just to stress safety for the DIY people, angle grinders spin extremely fast, up to or more than 10,000 rpm. I just heard through a safety flash at work about a fella having a zip disk blow apart on him and tear open his throat. The guy died. There have been instances where zip disks have blown apart and embedded in face shields. I also know an old fellow who accidentally put his angle grinder down on a rag, and broke two fingers when it wrapped up around his hand.
You also have to use a properly rated disk for your angle grinder. Some disks may not be designed to spin as fast as your grinder can spin them.
I would highly suggest for your safety, that aside from hearing protection, gloves and a dust mask, you wear safety glasses AND a face shield. At least use a face shield.
Another thing that is not talked about alot is getting in the habit of knowing where the shrapnel will fly if a disk shatters. Always keep your vital areas out of this zone if you can. i.e. don't work the disk in line with your body, work it off to the side. Imagine the disk spinning and where the pieces will fly. Zip disks are also very thin and easy to snap. Don't work them in a manner that puts stress on them, don't lever them, they are for cutting straight lines only.

I just don't want to think that in trying to share my little project here, some damn fool will go and injure himself because I didn't indicate that there are dangers present that need to be managed. -So be careful.

attachment.php

Thank you! I'm starting to pick out rust all over both rockers now, and as soon as I've picked enuff out, I'm gonna have to start thinking about doing this body work myself. $800 for a body shop to just weld metal in w/ out paint is too much for me! Time to invest in some tools!

Thanx again for a great write up!

Hey, so does any one have a good source for these parts in the USA? JCWhitney is no help. Some google results suck. Maybe I should try Bing! Oh, and mine's a 1996, 2nd Gen

Pretty sure LMC truck has all the steel. any autobody shop should be able to get it for you. Most of the parts stores here at home can order sheet metal in as well. Head to the local parts store and see what you can learn.

Back