Led conversion on my 94 exploder xl | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Led conversion on my 94 exploder xl

corey wilhelms

Reaction score
City, State
Nebraska
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 explorer xl
So i changed all the brake, marker lights, & turn signals. Got the proper flasher. Now with the key on the tail lights are on, my cruise control & hazards stopped workin

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd check the fuse(s) first.

All the fuses & relays are good, hooked up my 92 to drag it to the shop last night & all the lights worked like normal, with the tow lights pluged, didn't check the cruise

sounds like a stuck brake pedal that is not returning all the way, causing the brakes to light and the vacuum release for the cruise to stay open.

Then why isn't the high mount brake light on????

I think Centaurious is on the right track.

Ignore the third brake light for now.

Well at any rate, i made sure both brake & clutch pedals rebounded all the way as i was changing the brake light switch

It could be the led's are not enough load, and resistor packs are needed on the tail lights. Put your stock bulbs back into the brake and tail lights, then check cruise control. The led's may "seem like" an open or burned out bulb , or, a shorted to ground bulb, which may cause the cruise control to remain off.

I would switch all bulbs back, then put the led's back one at a time until you find the one which is messing with the cruise control-brake lights circuit.

Well i have some parts store resistors from when i tried to convert my 92 over, had them on the turn signals, but still had the tail light problem, but i didn't have the proper flasher at that time, didn't check the cruise since it couldn't move, but my push button stopped workin, i'll try the resistors first

It could be the led's are not enough load, and resistor packs are needed on the tail lights. Put your stock bulbs back into the brake and tail lights, then check cruise control. The led's may "seem like" an open or burned out bulb , or, a shorted to ground bulb, which may cause the cruise control to remain off.

I would switch all bulbs back, then put the led's back one at a time until you find the one which is messing with the cruise control-brake lights circuit.

This is sound advise. Cruise control shuts off when brake lights are activated, so it might not work properly with LED's. I have to ask, why LED signal, tail and brake lights? They are only used when the engine is running, so no need to worry about battery drain. I have LED's in all my interior lights, but that is because I will leave a door open for extended periods of time.

This is sound advise. Cruise control shuts off when brake lights are activated, so it might not work properly with LED's. I have to ask, why LED signal, tail and brake lights? They are only used when the engine is running, so no need to worry about battery drain. I have LED's in all my interior lights, but that is because I will leave a door open for extended periods of time.
LED's so they never burn out and get you pulled over-ticket.

So i had to wire resustors in the back for the brake/turn signal side of the light & everything works like it's supposed too, thanks for all the help

Back