• Register Today It's free!

LED fast flashing fix

jturquette

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT V8
I installed some LED bulbs in the rear brake/turn sockets on my X which caused the turn signals to flash fast. The computer was fooled into thinking there was a burned out bulb that needed replacement. I have noted in other threads that one fix was to install load resistors in parallel with the bulb to solve this problem. My concerns with this fix were:
1-the heat generated from these resistors
2-use of resistors negated the power savings for LED conversion

I found a replacement relay for the stock flasher relay that works well. I have yet to check that this new relay will not affect the cruise control (I doubt it will).

The flasher relay is located on the fuse panel, under the dash, above the drivers left foot. The fuse panel is two sided and the relay is on the top (the more difficult location to get at).

Here is a link to the ebay store that has the 5-pin relays:
http://stores.ebay.com/TMI-LED-TECH...-LEDs_W0QQcolZ2QQdirZ1QQfsubZ11QQftidZ2QQtZkm

I am also looking into some of their offerings for additional lighting.

My goal is to replace as many incand. bulbs as possible with LED and do an HID conversion of the low beams.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i am too looking to replace all my incandecent bulbs with LEDs. let me know how this works out for you with the turn signal relay. i might just go ahead and buy the led turn signals for the rear and get the amber ones for the front as well. i dont mind the fast flashing and i dont use cruise control that much.

Check # 1 in my list of useful threads for more information: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157011

This was a thread I read before I made the fix. My head hurt after reading parts of it. I am not an electrical guy. I've heard of lots of this stuff, but get confused to easily.

The cruise control is working with this LED turn flasher. I am having intermittent cruise control problems that were apparent before the flasher change. I am going to try one of the other CC fixes. Likely, the brake switch fix. It seems like the likely candidate with the symptoms I am experiencing.

I installed some LED bulbs in the rear brake/turn sockets on my X which caused the turn signals to flash fast. The computer was fooled into thinking there was a burned out bulb that needed replacement. I have noted in other threads that one fix was to install load resistors in parallel with the bulb to solve this problem. My concerns with this fix were:
1-the heat generated from these resistors
2-use of resistors negated the power savings for LED conversion

I found a replacement relay for the stock flasher relay that works well. I have yet to check that this new relay will not affect the cruise control (I doubt it will).

The flasher relay is located on the fuse panel, under the dash, above the drivers left foot. The fuse panel is two sided and the relay is on the top (the more difficult location to get at).

Here is a link to the ebay store that has the 5-pin relays:
http://stores.ebay.com/TMI-LED-TECH...-LEDs_W0QQcolZ2QQdirZ1QQfsubZ11QQftidZ2QQtZkm

I am also looking into some of their offerings for additional lighting.

My goal is to replace as many incand. bulbs as possible with LED and do an HID conversion of the low beams.

Did you use discrete LEDs, or did you just buy LED versions of the bulbs that are in there? I thought that the bulbs that are made to be direct replacements already handled the load issue. And that little bit of power is not going to generate as much heat as the incandescent bulb, I don't think.

Then again, maybe I'm wrong ....

http://www.superbrightleds.com/carbulb-notes.htm
Turn signal issues with LED bulbs
LED brake/tail lamps will not flash with thermal flasher units due to their extremely low current draw. Also, with stock flasher units, the turn signals may flash faster than normal (Hyper-Flash).
These installations will require an electronic flasher unit, available in our car bulb shopping category (for some vehicles) or at your auto parts store. Try to find flashers designed to work with LED bulbs, they will say "LED compatible". Often HEAVY DUTY flashers will also work with LED bulbs.

We offer some LED Flashers in our Tail/Brake Turn Signal Bulb category but we do not know which one (if any) will fit your vehicle. You will have to compare the pin-out of your flasher with the pin-outs of the flashers we offer, to see if we have a match, BEFORE you order one. Sorry but we do not have a flasher application list or the expertise to tell you which of our flashers will fit your vehicle.

Another fix is the installation of Load Resistors which are wired across (in parallel with) the turn signal bulbs to simulate the load of a standard filament bulb. We also have these available in our car bulb shopping category.

Did you use discrete LEDs, or did you just buy LED versions of the bulbs that are in there? I thought that the bulbs that are made to be direct replacements already handled the load issue. And that little bit of power is not going to generate as much heat as the incandescent bulb, I don't think.

Then again, maybe I'm wrong ....

http://www.superbrightleds.com/carbulb-notes.htm

I purchased direct bulb replacements. They caused the OEM flasher to indicate bulb burn out by blinking rapidly. The new flasher fixed that.

Side note: I also installed white LED reverse bulbs (direct replacement). they throw good light sideways, but not a lot backwards. The incandescents throw good light backward (due to the reflector). I have purchased some LEDs that will hopefully "enhance" the reverse lights. Will take pictures once mod is done.

Back