• Register Today It's free!

LED Headlight conversion

extra-medium

Reaction score
City, State
Charlottesville, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mercury Mountaineer
I have seen the conversion kits to run HID headlights, but I saw one from Plasmaglow the other day to convert your halogen headlights to LED bulbs. They claim they are 2,400 lumens, and have light output of 5000k. They come with 2 ballasts and 2 led heads. Has anyone had experience with these at all? I was debating on getting them but don't want to waist 180 bucks if they are junk.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My gut says junk, but for the sake of actual knowledge, I say go for it.
Someone has to risk wasting the money in the name of science.

We thank you in advance for putting your money on the line for the greater good.

I looked into this also recently. Found a big thread on a Jeep Wrangler forum that reviewed a product that is similar to the H13 Plasmaglow kit.

Read and form your own conclusions but looked like some folks encountered issues with them after they had them a while (flickering and such). Also, there were issues with the way the light pattern was, but that may have also been partially due to the way the Wrangler reflector housings are designed.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/lifetime-led-h13-lights-installed-469937.html

The Plasmaglow units may or may not have the same issues. If you decide to try them out, put a review here and tell us what you think.

One of the guys at my firehouse is checking into them and will get back to me. I am leaning towards getting the plasmaglow ones. I definitely won't be getting any from that site they guys on wrangler forum got theirs from. Once I get them, I'll post up pics and a small review.

I tried a expensive pair of replacement led bulbs for my factory fogs.. 9145 on my mountaineer.. the light did not travel well at all. yes they were brighter within the first 30-50ft but then dies.. while that halogens just kept traveling.. the ones I purchased was almost $100 and they were 6000k color.. if you are looking for the brightest solution I would go with hid.. 55w is to much, 35w is perfect

I got a pair of LED headlights for my 4th Gen. They aren't as bright as HID's but the light spread is better. They are considerably brighter than halogens.

I got a kit from Ebay they are Cree bulbs cost was $110 they work great much nicer look then HID .

Back