LED Headlight Conversions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

cobra671

Reaction score
City, State
Argyle, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Limited
Has anyone done a conversion to LED headlights on a 2011-15 Explorer? If so, what kit?

I have a 2014 Limited and was considering HID conversion, but would rather go LED if they are as good as HID. Also, how does the LED work in the halogen projectors?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know of a LED conversion for these headlamp units. There are of course LED bulbs out there but as you can see in the OEM fitments typically they are more than one LED unit within the lamp unit (probably due to the required lumens for headlamps)

I got this email from Diode Dynamics for their new LED bulb.

Homepage Shop Bulbs by Vehicle Shop Bulbs by Size Research Automotive Lighting

Coupon Code: OCT5
NEW! HP48 LED Bulb!

Diode Dynamics is pleased to announce a new bulb model to our LED lineup, the HP48! The HP48 features 48 high power 3014-size LEDs, all driven at constant current for extremely high reliability.

This is a perfect plug-and-play replacement for any 1156, 1157, 7440, 7443, 3156, and 3157 incandescent bulb. The HP48 utilizes a frosted PC lens diffuser for even light distribution, and is both non-polar and CK compatible, allowing for easy installation in every vehicle!

Available in 6000K cool white, red, and amber, this is the perfect entry-level LED bulb for fog lights, front/rear turn signals, and reverse light applications. With an output of over 280 lumens (measured), the HP48 gives you a bump in brightness and a much more crisp modern look for the road.

The integrated cast aluminum base provides excellent heat dissipation, for added reliability. Additionally, the bulb also features a chrome reflector cap, allowing for optimal light projection. Like all Diode Dynamics products, it is backed by a 3-year replacement warranty, and satisfaction guarantee.

I notice it doesn't mention headlamps and look at the lumen output. Certainly not for headlamp replacement.

I notice it doesn't mention headlamps and look at the lumen output. Certainly not for headlamp replacement.

No but they do have a headlight LED replacement bulb which is the XP80

Actually I think it's for the fog light not headlamp, I will have to see if the XP80 is the fog only

My crappy ebay 10 dollar ballast on my left headlight has went out so I'm going to be upgrading to LEDs. I'll be coming from 55W 4300K HIDs so I'll let you know if the output is good or not.

I've been looking around and I can't decide if I should go with this:

http://www.amazon.com/JDM-ASTAR-Gen...9&sr=1-2&keywords=JDM+9005+LED+headlight+bulb

or this cheaper one:

http://www.amazon.com/Partsam-LED-H...-spons&keywords=9005+LED+headlight+bulb&psc=1

Seems to me like it's the same type, probably some sellers bought bulk from Alibaba, rebrand them, and is selling them.

I might even get this one but I have to see if it'll even fit first:
http://www.amazon.com/Starnill-LED-...4051&sr=1-14&keywords=9005+LED+headlight+bulb

I have these and they are awesome! All plug and play, very bright.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161642725572

Here is a side by side comparison of the stock bulb on the left and the Philips LED on the right:

temporary_zpsvu5ql8xo.jpg

be interesting to see down the road vs. 3 feet from the door.

Definitely a very bright light. Looking at the picture, my only concern would be as to what is causing that 'splash' of light that looks a bit like a maple leaf above the horizontal cut-off. Hopefully it is just the garage door reflecting the light.

Peter

LED Headlights from Amazon

I actually just upgraded to LED. Bought this package:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VNBDOV2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

So far so good; output is better than stock, installation took about 10 minutes. Cutoff is almost perfect, no bleed which is nice not having to worry about people flashing me. Still have to drive it around more at night to really compare but I'm happy so far.

How is the night driving. BTW Amazon says they don't fit 15 explorer.. I have a 15 x Sport with projectors.. Will they fit?

How is the night driving. BTW Amazon says they don't fit 15 explorer.. I have a 15 x Sport with projectors.. Will they fit?

Amazon told me the same thing, as long as the connector is the same it should be no problem, perfect fit and super fast install. I'm still testing night driving. WAY better than my stock ones but still trying to judge compared to HID. I do love that I don't have to worry about the HID install as these are literally just plug and play.

Wait until they come out with the laser headlamps.

Peter

were you able to put back the dust cover back on? I'm worry about condensation if they are not back on.

I actually just upgraded to LED. Bought this package:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VNBDOV2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

So far so good; output is better than stock, installation took about 10 minutes. Cutoff is almost perfect, no bleed which is nice not having to worry about people flashing me. Still have to drive it around more at night to really compare but I'm happy so far.

were you able to put back the dust cover back on? I'm worry about condensation if they are not back on.

You can't put the dust cover back on, you can cut a small hole and have the cord just go through it

OPT7 LED's

I talked with OPT7 about their Fluxbeam LED headlights mentioned by another poster. They say we must either leave off the dust caps when installing their LED headlights or cut a hole in them large enough to allow proper cooling of the lamp unit. If I go with LEDs I'll grab an extra set of dust covers for the future. They're available online for about $7.00 each.

I talked with OPT7 about their Fluxbeam LED headlights mentioned by another poster. They say we must either leave off the dust caps when installing their LED headlights or cut a hole in them large enough to allow proper cooling of the lamp unit. If I go with LEDs I'll grab an extra set of dust covers for the future. They're available online for about $7.00 each.

Where would you buy the dust covers? I can't find them on ebay. Also, has anyone successfully installed LED lights and still put in the dust covers successfully? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The light off these bulbs is great while driving. Signs reflect brighter and from further away as well as the lines on the road. The shape you see above the cutoff line is just from the garage door. I've never had anyone flash me or complain when we follow friends.

These do not allow use of the dust covers as the heatsink and cooling fan would not be able to cool the bulb adequately. I have checked the bulbs and they still look clean after driving in many conditions. I'm not too worried about it as the bulb itself has an O ring on it to seal it to the housing, so water wont get in the housing anyway.

Back